Talk

Advanced search

Double buggy - will I need one?

(19 Posts)
GrumpyFish Fri 26-Nov-10 10:30:51

DS will be 2.8 when DC2 arrives. I am trying to decide whether I'll need / use a double buggy or not. DS is a pretty good walker, but I like to go on really long tramps - we're out in the country so there's not a huge amount else to do! When he was born I walked for miles each day, and we still go out for an hour or two most afternoons - I can't imagine being able to do this at any reasonable speed with a walking toddler in tow (at the moment he swaps between buggy and walking). Because almost all of the walking round here is off road, I don't really have the option of a cheaper double, it would need to be something pretty sturdy (and therefore pricey!), and is likely to get fairly battered so I'm not really counting on resale value.

I am wondering if I could manage with just my current buggy for DS and a sling for baby, however I'm quite little and struggled to carry DS for any distance past about 6 months, even in a backpack. By the time the baby is 6 months though, DS will be 3.2 - is this well past buggy age? What do people think?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 26-Nov-10 10:35:42

DS will be 2.8 when DC2 arrives, and we're not getting a double buggy. We will get a buggy board which he can use, but most of our buggy use is around town/on paved or at least hard paths etc.
When we go tramping he goes in the backpack and DH carries him, and I will have the baby in a carrier/sling.

Sounds like your day to day needs are quite different to mine though so that isn't much help - sorry!

festivefriedawhingesagain Fri 26-Nov-10 10:38:52

DD was almost 22m when I had DS, and I did get a double but TBH, I hardly used it after the first 6 months. By that age DD was old enough to either walk or use a buggy board.

But - when she still used to have an afternoon nap it was handy because she obviously can't nap on a buggy board.

With hindsight I would have tried to get a second hand one or borrowed one for a few months. But it was nice to get a new pushchair as it feels like you hardly buy anything new for a second babyblush

cazzybabs Fri 26-Nov-10 10:42:37

no buggy and buggy board is the way to go ... I walk miles every day (I do about 5-10 miles a day_) and dd is fine on the buggy board - although having re-read your post it is not great for off road but then neither is a double buggy...

sling for new baby?

sethstarkaddersmum Fri 26-Nov-10 10:49:15

I would, in your position - our Phil & Teds is great offroad, btw.
We still buggy our 3.11 yo on long country walks - it just means we can go further and faster than if we expected him to walk.

missp2010 Fri 26-Nov-10 10:53:55

Not much help I know but I think it really depends on your ds. We really didn't want a double I was hoping to use a sling for a while. DD was nearly two when we had DS, I realised how daft I'd been when he was a week old. We went out and bought a phil and teds. DD was still using it after she turned three! The p&t is good for walking over grass etc, although is quite heavy by the time you have two kids in it so not sure how it would be with hills etc. I had a buggy board for around town too, but to be honest I found it really difficult to use (it was a good one too), just going around a post box, bin etc would be a struggle.

Perhaps it is best to wait until after DC2 has arrived? You could always research which one you'd prefer before hand and then you just need to pop to the shops/order online.

rastababi Fri 26-Nov-10 11:00:21

DD2 was 23 months when DD1 was born. We live rural and do loads of off-road walking too. We had a Phil and Teds (2nd hand off eBay), it was fantastic.

When we were out and around in town etc (especially as DDs got older), DD1 would hop in and out of the 2nd back seat. It was fantastic, really recommend it.

rastababi Fri 26-Nov-10 11:01:02

DD1 was 23 months when DD2 was born....D'uh! blush

GrumpyFish Fri 26-Nov-10 11:05:33

Thanks that's really helpful, I'm wondering if a 2nd hand P&Ts might be the way to go then, also tempted to wait and see once DC2 is here, but then it might be harder to find a good 2nd hand one. Lots to think about!

fragola Fri 26-Nov-10 11:48:40

If you're only planning to use the buggy for walks, I'd really recommend an urban detour. I had the single one and it was great for really rough ground. They also do double ones, which would probably not be good for getting in to shops and on buses, but they can be picked up really cheaply on ebay.

GrumpyFish Fri 26-Nov-10 12:05:58

Thaks Fragola, will have a look at that too - no need for one to use for shopping / buses so that could be a possibility.

mylifewithstrangers Fri 26-Nov-10 12:09:22

DD was 2y7m when DS was born. He was in the sling for the first 6 months or so. After that she walked (we built her up to it). No buggy board. I also have a SSC sling which I can use for either one when necessary (DD is only light, there's only 2Kg between them!)

Janus Fri 26-Nov-10 19:16:22

grumpy, I have a 2.5 year old and expecting in 4 months. I will be buying a double buggy as similar to you, i live in the New Forest and walk the dog every day in total off-road areas. I would not be without my Mountain Buggy and they do a double too. They are a fortune new but you can get on ebay for about 200-300 and they also resale so well that you should be able to get quite a bit back too. There are always mountain buggies on ebay, the cheaper ones are usually pick up only so if you save a search for, say, 25 miles collection one should come up sooner or later. I have a couple other friends who are big dog walkers around here too and they too have the mountain buggy, they are really loved by their owners!

saffy85 Sat 27-Nov-10 10:25:15

2nd the Urban Detour. Got one 3 years ago when DD was newborn and it's still going strong enough to use for new baby. Great on long walks and can still comfortably fit my 3 year old in when she's tired. Seen loads on ebay while looking for a new bumper bar for mine (we randomly lost it) most are pick up only though.

gateacre1 Sat 27-Nov-10 16:11:51

my dd will be 2.8 when dd2 arrives and ive ordered the phil and ted vibe ( I wont be able to carry new baby in sling for long periods due to previous injury
and I just felt that for us we need a double buggy dd1 still naps some days and I will be walking an average of 5 ish miles so will need a device to contain dd1 ( she would jump of buggy board)

If I dont end up using it much I will sell it on Ebay
good luck!

GruffalosGirl Sun 28-Nov-10 00:59:26

My DS will be 2y3m in March when I'm due and I wondered about this for a while. I've gone with getting a double as didn't want to be trapped in the house if we have bad weather and wouldn't feel happy making my little one walk in heavy rain.

I've gone for the Jane powertwin pro and got one on preloved for £80. We decided to get it before christmas as we thought there'd be more people selling this time of year so we'd get a better deal.

GrumpyFish Mon 29-Nov-10 10:32:03

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the replies, think lots of those buggies look good - just going to keep a look out on gumtree / ebay and see what comes up (we live somewhere quite rural so I might not have a lot of choice). Although I'm looking out of my window just now and wondering whether a sleigh and a team of huskies might not be more use....

jellyhead188 Mon 29-Nov-10 12:31:13

I had a 2 year 5 month gap and bought a phil and teds, my DS was lazy thought didn't like to walk much but it was such a blessing, I used it for a year and then sold it as by that time we'd ditched him having a buggy! I would def get one especially if you do a lot of walking.

katherine2008 Mon 29-Nov-10 13:30:08

Talking of slings - any advice on good ones? My dd will be 2.9 when new baby arrives and she and I never got on with a sling - we tried two! However dc2 won't have much choice - so recommendations welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now