Talk

Advanced search

do i need a new mattress for moses basket?

(10 Posts)
ScarlettButler Fri 26-Nov-10 09:42:09

I've been given a moses basket for DC from a friend, and it looks almost unused. I know advice is always to buy new cot mattresses but is that true of moses baskets too? Don't mind buying on - equally if I don't need to no point. Does anyone know?

japhrimel Fri 26-Nov-10 10:25:36

Do you know where it's been stored? If it's been kept in an attic or garage, it might have got a bit damp and be carrying mould spores even if it looks clean.

TooImmature2BMum Fri 26-Nov-10 11:33:40

How old is it? I'm in similar situation where Granny thrust Moses basket on me, but the mattress dates from 1965! Am planning to replace it. You can get new mattresses for just over a tenner on Ebay.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 12:58:23

I read that they have special air pockets built into them and that these get squashed with use - so it is always advised to get new for safety's sake. It's a pain I know, I have been given 2 moses baskets that look brand new but I still am going to replace matresses though they hardly look like they need it! x

ScarlettButler Fri 26-Nov-10 14:25:11

thanks - is fairly new as was given by a friend who had a baby last December, used it for about 3 months apparently. Not sure where stored but dont think they have attic or garage. Maybe I have to just get a new one anyway to be on the safe side...

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 14:42:10

ScarlettButler - love the nickname btw! I assume it is inspired by Gone with the Wind? GWTW is my fave book since my teens - wanted to call my DD-to-be Scarlett, but it looks like my SIL who is due a few weeks before me may be pinching it if she has a girl... sad angry

ScarlettButler Fri 26-Nov-10 20:14:56

Glittery - you got it in one! yep defo inspired by GWTW grin
Boo to your SIL - how dare she nick YOUR name!

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 21:10:38

Well she does live in Australia and I've never met her and it was just an unfortunate coincidence! And I'll doubt she'll give it up if her's is a girl, as her friend has just had a baby and nicked her second choice. And whilst they live in aus, I definitely can't use it too, as two cousins with the same name (and surname) would be a bit ridiculous. Let's just hope it's a boy! I know mine's a girl but they didn't find out. They a have a DD already...

ohnelly Sat 27-Nov-10 09:20:59

Has it got a cover you can remove & wash? I borrowed one from a friend which also looked like new (Hardly used) so I didnt buy a new one but did wash cover & give it good airing

sarahscot Sat 27-Nov-10 10:42:45

I'm planning on re-using the moses basket I already have and was going to stick the whole mattress in teh wasshing machine. They're thin foam so will easily fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now