Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think the pots they give you to wee in are, well, too narrow to wee in?!

(49 Posts)
wintersnow Thu 25-Nov-10 15:42:29

Now I know how men feel when they 'miss the target'. Does anyone actually manage to wee in them without it going down the sides?!

caramellokoalalover Thu 25-Nov-10 15:44:41

God, I HATE them! I live in fear that I will miss the pot altogether when I go for a checkup and then not be able to wee again for...well, half an hour...but still...

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 25-Nov-10 15:45:48

you never know quite what direction it's going to come out, do you, until you've had a try.

Lots of soap and water afterwards, for me.

sweetkitty Thu 25-Nov-10 15:46:06

Wee in plastic jug, pour wee into pot.

I used to ask for a pot for the next appointment and go before I went in the house.

LeroyJethroGibbs Thu 25-Nov-10 15:52:11

Message withdrawn

johnnycomelurky Thu 25-Nov-10 16:16:33

haha, I managed ok until 28 weeks when I could no longer see the, um, stream. Going to use a bigger pot and transfer for next appt. YANBU - those pots are teeny!

flingingflangin Thu 25-Nov-10 16:18:48

Or use a funnel. Sometimes drs surgeries have them! This I discovered after I had weed on my hand a couple of times. blush

sh77 Thu 25-Nov-10 16:22:25

YANBU

Good excuse to exercise pelvic floor muscles though.

What amazes me is how some docs and MWs handle the pots without gloves yuk (I always wash my pot and it wrapped in tissue).

Cyclebump Thu 25-Nov-10 16:23:25

My antenatal clinic supplies them with a disposable funnel. Is still tricky, but FAR easier than the teeny tiny pots.

Natzer Thu 25-Nov-10 16:37:22

I always keep some paper cups in my handbag (amongst everything else, apart from the kithen sink) its so handy to pee in that and then pour into the pot, I couldn't do it otherwise.

Fenouille Thu 25-Nov-10 16:39:52

And it just gets worse as your bump gets bigger and you can't even see what you're aiming for any more.

Someone here recommended using a funnel last time I saw the topic come up.

DrSeuss Thu 25-Nov-10 16:44:50

Clearly designed by a bloke!

ZippyPippy Thu 25-Nov-10 16:47:23

Don't get me started on those ridiculous narrow pots, they are impossible to aim into especially with a big bump in the way!! Definitely invented by a man!

To add insult to injury I get handed mine back with the wee still in it at each appointment to reuse because there is 'no budget' to get a new one each time- have the NHS really reached such hard times!?

sparklyrainbow Thu 25-Nov-10 17:19:06

Agree they are ridiculous.... even more ridiculous was my mw suggesting I just wee onto a dipstick because I'd forgotten my sample. Needless to say, I failed blush grin

I got a really wide pot once then it got thrown away- new one everytime here still!

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 25-Nov-10 17:27:48

So glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! grin

I'm at the stage where it's hit and miss because I can't really see much. I 'listen' to hear if I'm hitting the target.

Always ask for one to take home, and agree with others in that they're definitely designed by men!

CocoPopsAddict Thu 25-Nov-10 18:06:03

Oh my god, yes. Especially at 40 weeks - practicaly impossible!

ZippyPippy - seriously? They're supposed to be kept sterile though - do they expect you to sterilise it yourself?!

JustKeepSparkling Thu 25-Nov-10 18:11:13

Was given mine back at one appt, to reuse.

I did think hmm but did as i was told.

Next MW appt (diff MW) i mentioned i wasn't convinced on this was the best idea and she agreed with me, said always get a fresh pot.

Esp if you've had something in a sample then you def need a new one.

Going to try and remember a plastic party cup to start off in next time

KirstyJC Thu 25-Nov-10 18:11:32

I use a jug then pour it into the pot. I also get mine rinsed out and given back to me in our clinic. (by a MW who doesn't wash her hands before picking up her pen afterwards......shock).

Pootle78 Thu 25-Nov-10 18:15:46

Another one who wees in a cup then transfers it, I also get given a spare one for next time and was also asked to "borrow" as many as possible when I had to go to an appointment at the hospital as the midwife was running out! Needless to say I have 3 clean ones in my handbag at the moment!

frakkinup Thu 25-Nov-10 18:20:45

We wee into plastic cups, but I still can't manage it!

Alouiseg Thu 25-Nov-10 18:25:45

Makes much more sense to wee directly onto the stick. Negate the need for plastic pots altogether.

DrSeuss Thu 25-Nov-10 18:30:18

You could, theoretically, use any sterilised receptacle, for example a jam jar scalded out first. Might make it easier! Afriend used to go to the clinic in a, shall we say, slightly less genteel area of our town. She swears she has seen samples come in in a yoghurt pot and a beer bottle!

cowboylover Thu 25-Nov-10 18:31:39

At my clinic they give you a tinfoil bowl in a sterile pack which you can open, pee in and then bend the edge to be jug edges to go into the pot! I thought they where genius things when I got there.

I must abmit I have a special glass from all the POAS when TTC!

StickThemWithThePointyEnd Thu 25-Nov-10 18:55:14

I had this discussion with my mw the other day.. she gave me one of the stool sample pots instead, which has a much wider opening and is more like a small plastic cup.
in my previous pregnancy she always said I could just wee directly on the stick as long as I didn't go to the loo just before I came to the AN clinic.

cupcakebakerer Thu 25-Nov-10 22:39:26

Agreed - they are ridiculous and on the times I forget to pre-prepare one using a jug at home I always get pee ALL over the pot. I put the lid on and wash thoroughly with soap and water but the mw doesn't know that and I'm always shocked, as an earlier poster also mentions, when she handles it with bare hands!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now