Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy & body image

(15 Posts)
thefurryone Thu 25-Nov-10 15:18:05

Hi, just wondering if anyone else finding it hard to come to terms with their changing body?

I would generally tend to be a bit overweight and find that my confidence really suffers as a result, as I swear everyone I know is thinner than me (I'm 5ft 4, 10 1/2 stone and solid build) anyway I thought pregnancy would be a time where I could ignore my normal issues and just be happy that my body is doing something amazing, but although I do get these moments some times most of the time I just feel crap about how my body is changing.

I know it's stupid but I can't help worrying that I'm growing too big too quickly or wishing I had been thinner to start with so I could have a nice bump rather than just feeling like a lump of lard.

Anyway sorry for the rather self-indulgant whinge I think I may just feel less crazy if I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

lgmum2b Thu 25-Nov-10 15:30:58

You're not alone!

I'm 5ft 5 and normally sit comfortably around 50 kgs.
So far though at 29+4 I'm now 65kg the biggest I've ever been and to be honest I'm not liking my shape although I love my bump.
I've never had the feeling of the tops of my thighs touching before which I really don't like and I find I'm trying to get dressed asap so I don't get too much of a chance to appreciate how big my bum has got or how huge my thighs are.
Certainly dresses and skirts are more flattering and comfortable than trousers.

I'm trying to eat sensibly now as I've still got 3 months to go and am getting conscious of having to lose the weight post baby.

The only things that cheers me is up is knowing it's all in aid of growing this little miracle inside of me and it's a temporary phase.

StiffyByng Thu 25-Nov-10 15:51:01

Hi furryone

If it helps at all, I am the same height as you and 3 stone heavier. I also feel quite sad that I can't see a bump yet, at 17 weeks, but that may be nothing to do with my weight apparently.

I hadn't thought about how I'd feel about my body before I got pregnant except for thinking at least stretchmarks wouldn't bother me as I have loads already. Actually, for someone who thoroughly disliked their body beforehand, I've found that I don't think about it at all. I wouldn't say I liked my body hugely but I don't dislike it any more - maybe because I've stopped the endless struggle to make it smaller and can accept that just for the next few months, it's going to get bigger.

I'm really sorry you're feeling miserable - I'm sure you're not the only one, and although I'm not sharing all your feelings, I can relate to the sense of not having had a good enough body to start with.

lilly13 Thu 25-Nov-10 16:20:36

Hi Furry, I totally agree with you. I am 5'7 and weight 54.5kg now. I am 16.5 weeks and gained 4 pounds so far, but my body shape changed and my stomach is sticking out, although I am at a point where most people would say a tummy/excercise slob rather than a pregnant woman... I haven't bought any pregnancy clothes yet as I don't know what size i'll be in a few weeks, but my skirts and trousers are a bit too tight on me. It will only get worse. Yesterday, I bought some nice lingere and a pretty night gown. Made me feel much better... I must sound so vane! I think it is really important to dress nicely and do hair and nails, and of course, excercise on a daily basis (yoga makes me feel much better and i try to practice every day). Hope you feel better!

Cyclebump Thu 25-Nov-10 16:50:49

You're not alone at all. I felt HIDEOUS at one point!

From about 10 weeks til about 18 I just felt disgusting.

DP was fab in his attempts to change my views 'You are not fat, you are babylicious and beautiful!' but, when I confided in friends who had had children, the majority of them said they too felt deeply unattractive at times.

However, I'm now 21+3 and seemed to have turned the corner, suddenly I feel better about everything, including how I look. I still have off moments but it's definitely better.

Cyclebump Thu 25-Nov-10 16:52:05

Oh and lilly13, I totally agree. Went out and bought myself some decent maternity wear and some posh moisturiser. Mae a world of difference.

Emsyboo Thu 25-Nov-10 17:01:03

Aww your not alone at all I feel crap and good about my body at the same time very confusing! I have always been tall and slim but had a bit of a belly so being pregnant was great as I had an excuse for my belly. I always used to wear clothes that were loose round the belly so the first trimester and most of the second I didn't have too many clothes issues.

I am really proud of my bump and everyone says I haven't put weight on any where else but I know I have!

My weight has gone up 2 and a half stone and that doesn't include loosing 10lbs from morning sickness so including that we are talking nearly 3 and a half stone! I was only 9 and a half stone before I got pregnant

My whole body seems to have expanded I am at 33 weeks and end up in tears all the time as I can't get things over my shoulders or boobs anymore. I hate the way I look in maternity clothes.

Funny thing is I have never been so confident about my stomach and am happy with my bump even getting photos done next week but I am dreading the Christmas season andtrying to find something to wear.

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 25-Nov-10 17:23:31

I know exactly how you feel. I've got to the stage now, at 29+2 where I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror naked, esp my legs. Everyone says I've only put weight on on my bump but I know the truth.

I was around 8 stone to start with at 5ft 7 so quite slim and I don't want to weigh myself as I'm actually scared. I loved getting boobs at first but now fed up with them (although OH seems to get on with them wink).

I feel like a massive waddling whale and I've hidden some of my pre pregnancy clothes as they depress me. I know this seems so vain and I'm so grateful to have a healthy baby and keep trying to remind myself of this....

8rubberduckies Thu 25-Nov-10 17:44:50

I am overweight anyway, and at nearly 10 weeks pregnant, I just feel like I'm a complete fatty at the moment! Once I started getting a bump though, around 13-14 weeks when last pregnant, I loved my pregnant body, and really missed it when it was gone.

I felt comfortable in my body for the first time in a long time, and celebrated my curves. I am really looking forward to that feeling again, and I hope that you start feeling that way soon, I'm sure you will!

thefurryone Fri 26-Nov-10 14:19:48

Thanks everyone, sorry for those of you that are also feeling crap, although it is a comfort to know that I'm not the only one basking in a maternal glow every time I look at my ever expanding stomach.

I think it is time to bite the bullet with maternity clothes, as my available wardrobe is ever shrinking and having to wear a too tight dress that had fit only two days before, to a party the other night really didn't help. It just feels a bit overwhelming at the moment as I don't have a huge budget and really don't want to end up buying stuff I don't like/ that doesn't fit properly.

smoggii Fri 26-Nov-10 14:44:19

You are definitely not alone, in fact i think this is one of the most common topics i see posted on netmums which really helped me.

I really don't love my pregnant body (although i do love my baby and i'm amazed at what my body is doing) at nearly 37 weeks i still don't really look pregnant just an oddly shaped chubster.

I was overweight at the start (5'9 and very happy with myself at a size 16) but now i'm wearing 20-22 and i think that when the baby is born i'll be lucky to fit comfortably back into a 20 - going to take a lot of work to get back to my pre-pregnancy shape.

GlitteryBalls Fri 26-Nov-10 15:29:30

I am exactly the same, feel out of control of my weight, and also a bit guilty for feeling like this! You are not alone and I understand completely how you feel. Just be reasured that everyone's bodies behave differntly when pregant, but the vast majority of people DO gain a lot of weight when pregnant, and not just on their bumps! I have even stopped reading nhs/official guidelines about how much to gain because I have already exceeded that I had weeks ago! Now 33+1 and gaining weight daily, way more than 1 pound a week! Eating healthily though and have started to go to the gym a few time a week and do some moderate exercise (eg treadmill walking on an incline for 30 minutes or so, and some very light weights at high reps) so I don't feel so bad about myself. Most people comment on how great I look, so I know this is just my own "issues". Know I should probably stop weighing myself as well, but I can't help myself and do almost daily! I love my bump, but my cellulite on my thighs and double chins are stressing me out! Tried on some pre-preg clothes the other day that used to be a bit too big so I thought there was a chance they might still just about go on, but I looked like I was trying to wear a small child's clothes! I have expanded everywhere all over. Even my gloves are tight! I know at this stage a lot is also fluid but is still so depressing. I can't talk, but try not to worry. x

Violet5 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:29:00

I am huge this time (baby number 6), and my arms and thighs have also got bigger. I really don't like catching a glimpse of my body in a mirror or window. That said i've had some maternity photos done (just for me, i'm not displaying them anywhere) as a keepsake and a reminder of how huge i am ! May seem odd but this will be the last time i ever look this way as this will be my last baby. Also 6 months or so after having the baby hopefully i will have lost some of my excess weight and will be feeling a lot better about myself. I'm just trying to see this stage of my body looking this way as just part of the process of having my beautiful son when he gets here (18 days and counting) so my bodys just doing a job. I haven't weighed myself and have no intention of doing so. When i feel up to it a month or two after babys born then i'll just try and lower/watch my fat and calorie intake and eat a bit more fruit and veg but only when i feel up to coping with doing that.
In my last pregnancy my face got covered in melasma (brown pigmentation) and i found that so hard to cope with, it took over a year to fade too, so i guess i'm greatful this time that i'm just big and can loose the weight at some point unlike last time when my face was covered in melasma that there was nothing i could do to get rid of, make up didn't hide it (and doctor had warned that it might never go !).
I'd just hang on to the thought that 4/5 months after babys born i'm sure you'll feel much better about your body again and you'll have a wonderful little person as proof it was all worth it smile

JuneBugJr Fri 26-Nov-10 17:22:08

Same here. Even though Ive lost weight due to hyperemesis, and am comfortably size 8/10, my shape has changed. I'm 15 weeks, and already have a big bump, along with massive boobs, but with skinny arms and legs.
I look like an egg with some sticks attached. <<sigh>>

I sound vain I know, but I can't wait to get my body back, and wear nice clothes, instead of trying to flatter shapelessness.

Rocklover Fri 26-Nov-10 17:53:31

I hate my pregnant body, although I'm not entirely surprised as I hated my pre-preg body.

I was a size 14-16 before I got my bfp and I have been eating really badly because of constant nausea, so I know I have put on loads of weight.

With my dd I had HG and lost 2.5 stone in the first trimester and hardly showed by 20 weeks. This time I was showing alot by 16 weeks, I have flab at the bottom of my bump (overhang from previous section), fat thighs, a small double chin and just generally look huge.

I am so terrified of what I will look like when baby is born, but I still don't seem to be able to eat healthily (still nauseous at 31 wks).

I am 36 and have decided that this baby will be my last, 2 dc will be enough. So I am clinging to the thought that at least I can work on getting my body back into shape over the next few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now