Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Help! Scan at 6 weeks but sac measuring 4 wks 5 days

(12 Posts)
lilysma Wed 24-Nov-10 21:35:54

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

After trying for 16 months for DC no. 2 I have finally got a BFP! I am six weeks gone according to the date of my last period (and I'm pretty sure I did ovulate on CD 14 as I chart my cycles). Anyway, I had a scan today as have had a previous ectopic pregnancy (and have had lots of cramping so far with this pregnancy).

They could see the sac and foetal pole but no heartbeat and the sac was measuring 4 wks 5 days. The midwife didn't seem overly concerned and just said its probably too early to see the heartbeat and 'some ladies get their dates wrong'. I can't help but feel that the bean has stopped growing a while back though sad.

Is there any hope? If it's a missed miscarriage would I continue getting positive pregnancy tests?

I'm so desperate for this one to stick but not very hopeful right now sad. I have another scan booked in for two weeks time but not sure how the hell I'm going to get through those two weeks...

sam26oscar Wed 24-Nov-10 21:43:27

poor you sorry cant offer advice but didn't want you to go unread. Thats awful having to wait for 2 weeks i understand that its a LONG time to wait sad.Hope it has a positive outcome for you.

jellyhead188 Wed 24-Nov-10 22:16:41

Hi - try not to worry (easier said than done!), I recently went for an early scan due to having had early miscarriages and my dates were 7+2 I'd got a strong BFP two days after my period was due so was pretty sure of my dates, but the scan measured me at just under six weeks, I was worried that something was wrong but when I went for my dating scan the baby measured 10+3 so I was out by about 5 days with when I ovulated, even though I was pretty sure I knew when I had (had the ewcm and the cramping and stuff!).

I had a missed m/c where there was no fetal pole just a sac and didn't bleed till I was gone 7 weeks but I was still getting a positive pregnancy test at that point.

There is hope though, then your dates are only out by a week and although they say babies grow at the same rate, from my experience of other forums, people have seen heartbeats at varying times, some at just under 6 weeks, some not till 8 weeks.

Hang in there, you could ask for a blood test to see if your hormones are increasing.

xxx

faverolles Wed 24-Nov-10 22:20:24

When I had my 12 week scan, they put my dates back to just over 10 weeks.
Try not to worry, but I know that's easier said than done!

thingamajig Wed 24-Nov-10 22:26:00

Just to say that on both my pregnancies my dating scan has put me back 1 and a half weeks from the date I thought given my last period. We like to think that we are all in control and that our bodies run exactly as the books say so, but really its much more wooly than that.,
Good luck but remember it is still very early days.

lilmamma Thu 25-Nov-10 08:50:55

my daughter was the same,she knew the exact date of her last period,as it was her partners birthday party night,typical..

so she tthought she was 2 weeks more,then what the dating scan said,but they said,you could have got caught pregnant further down the line.she is now 36 weeks,good luck to you and hope it all works out for you.

beckylou1983 Thu 25-Nov-10 10:12:29

There is still hope hun, try not to worry. The scan was only a week different to your dates but like others have said, your body decides when to do things. Charts etc are good but they can never be 100% right all the time.
Just go with the flow and I am sure that everything will be fine. If they were worried they'd have taken bloods to check for hormone levels xxx

midori1999 Thu 25-Nov-10 11:48:27

I had a scan at 5+2 and they could see a gest. sac and yolk sac, but no fetal pole. They also measured the gest. sac at 4 weeks 4 days. I was worried as miscarried before and then they had seen pretty much the same. I was sure of my LMP and that I hadn't ovulated late as I got my BFP on CD21.

However, second scan at 6+4 we saw the heartbeat.

The sonographer said tht the gestational sac is just like a 'vessel' and not to worry too much about what it measured. Did they measure the foetal pole?

lilysma Thu 25-Nov-10 14:03:50

Thanks so much everyone for your reassurance smile. I wasn't able to check the board again last night and of course overnight convinced myself that there was no hope! sad

But from your replies I guess that there may be hope and I need to try to think positive, though I'm still not sure how I'll get through the next two weeks.

I'm not sure whether they measured the foetal pole - it was tiny - she pointed it out but I could only just see it. I'm pretty sure she was talking about the sac re measurement but you know how you are never sure that you hear things properly in that kind of situation. I did query re my dates and she just didn't seem at all concerned so I let it drop. I obviously should have pursued it more given my current levels of anxiety.

Thanks again for your replies, it really does help smile.

lilysma Thu 09-Dec-10 17:36:41

Just wanted to update for all of you who helped re my OP. I had my scan yesterday and everything was fine grin.

We saw the heartbeat and the bean was measuring 7 weeks 4 days and the sac was measuring 8 weeks, so all pretty reassuring as she still says measurements can be 5 days out and obviously everything's going in the right direction grin grin.

I'm so relieved as I had really prepared myself for the worst. Just goes to show the measurements just may not be all that accurate early on, or not all beans grow at quite the same rate, I guess.

Thanks again for your replies, which really did help me get through the two weeks.

AnytimeNOW Thu 09-Dec-10 18:59:28

Thank goodness!!! So happy for you smilex

JimmyChoo17 Thu 09-Dec-10 20:17:08

Brilliant news congratulations. X x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: