Talk

Advanced search

Really upset after antenatal appt.

(35 Posts)
almost3 Wed 24-Nov-10 18:26:57

Hi, sorry if this goes on a bit...

I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow and have just returned from an antenatal appt with the doctor. For a bit of background, I suffered from high blood pressure earlier in the pregnancy but have been fine since july, however, as i'm now in the late stages and due to some other medical history I've been seeing the doctor at the hospital regularly for the past couple of months.

Today my appointment went along as normal, had bp taken, urine checked, doppler, heartbeat monitored etc, all these were fine. I went into see the doctor who was happy everything was okay, he then asked if it was okay to do an intrnal to see if my cervix was softening yet and I said yes. However, while he was there he did a membrane sweep without asking whether that was okay. He then said he wanted to book me in for an induction. Before I had chance to ask any questions the fire alarm went off and I had to leave the appointment, when that was all over I expected to go back to see the doctor to finish my appointment, however, instead a midwife just popped into the waiting room ad handed me a piece of paper saying they'd see me on monday for induction. I tried asking her if I could see the doctor again as I was confused as to why they thought induction was necessary if they're happy baby and me are fine but I was told that they were running very late, doctor had no more time and I was practically shoved out of the door.

I now have no idea what to do, I have been induced before with DS1 and it wasn't a horrible experience or anything but I'm still not happy to be induced for no apparent reason, especially so soon. What do I do now? I won't have another opportunity to speak to the doctor before monday and I'm very confused!!

Thanks if you made it this far x

Jareth Wed 24-Nov-10 18:30:33

That sounds awful, he did a sweep without your permission and has booked you in for induction without explaining why?
Go back tomorrow or ring and speak to the MW.. it should be in your notes if there is any reason to suggest an induction at 40+4

DuelingFanio Wed 24-Nov-10 18:32:22

You don't have to turn up for the induction. Very wrong of them to give you a sweep without asking if it was ok and if I were you I would complain. Maybe call them and explain you won't be coming for the induction or you can just not turn up - no one can force you.

Can you call your midwife in the meantime or do you not have one since you are under the care of the doctor?

doughnutty Wed 24-Nov-10 18:33:29

Poor you!

No advice except phone doctors secretary tomorrow to request a word with doctor.

Or maybe see if your community midwife can help.

Hope someone wise is along soon. Good luck smile

Nagoo Wed 24-Nov-10 18:34:05

I've agreed to an induction at 40+13 and I'm really not happy about it.

I resisted being 'steam-rollered' into it at 40+10, so I've bought myself another 3 days to see what might happen.

Ring them up and ask to see someone if you don't want to go.

If my appointments are anything to go by you will probably be spoken to like you are 7 years old and/or belligerent.

But they will have to agree that it is your pregnancy and they can't make you do anything. If you turn up on monday and refuse to be induced, that is up to you, they can give you a CTG to check things are ok, and then reschedule you if you want more time.

I have found the swiftness with which they rush to interfere quite astonishing, but that's protocols for you....

Good luck, and remember that it is you that has to agree to whatever it is.

doughnutty Wed 24-Nov-10 18:34:11

Failing that just don't go to your app on Monday!

Sorry not much help.

Mrsmackie Wed 24-Nov-10 18:34:15

Sounds very odd to me. I have just been for my 39 week appoinment today and been told that they won't do a sweep until 40+7. GP should have definitely explained what he was doing and why.

thisisyesterday Wed 24-Nov-10 18:35:21

i would call them and say that you have been booked in for an induction but that you want to cancel it until you have spoken to a doctor properly

Nagoo Wed 24-Nov-10 18:35:27

Also, hopefully the sweep will get things along for you.... found it very odd that they didn't get your consent, as they were very clear with me about what I'd let them do....

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 24-Nov-10 18:35:34

I am {shock] that he did a sweep.

Sorry but what a tosser - I would be livid - how dare he?!

I was booked for an induction with DS2 but once we left the appt I said to DH I had no inention of going and he said if I didn't want to we just wouldn't turn up.

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 24-Nov-10 18:36:15

shock ed even..... hmm

kathyb1 Wed 24-Nov-10 18:41:18

sounds really bad - givvem hell!!!

seriously though, duelingfanio sounds spot on to me.

good luck with baby!!!!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 24-Nov-10 18:42:46

Thats not good. NICE guidelines say IOL shouldn;t be offered till 40+12 so don't know why he's jumping the gun. Is there any reason you can think of? Are you on meds for your BP?

TransatlanticCityGirl Wed 24-Nov-10 18:49:17

Holy... I would be livid.

If it were me, I would ring them to say I will not be attending the appointment on Monday unless I am given a chance to speak with the consultant and even then, only if I am satisfied that an induction is necessary.

Let us know how it goes...!

tastetherainbow Wed 24-Nov-10 18:49:40

PLEASE READ THIS!!!!!
When i was overdue i went for check up and they listened to baby and talked about getting induced, they did ask me if i wanted them to do internal and sweep but it could bring pregannacy on which in my case wouldnt of been a problem but i refused, i doid go home and go into labour though but they still asked my permission as that far gone it could bring on labour. i would go back to the doctors and speak to a nurse about what happened and how you feel, see what she says then make a formal complaint. That doesn not sound like good conduct

almost3 Wed 24-Nov-10 20:21:21

Sorry, had to disappear and sort out bedtime routines with ds's. Thank you all for your replies, they're really appreciated.

In hindsight, I really wish I had been more forceful at the hospital regarding going back into to see the Dr. but I was so shocked and upset by then. I've discussed things with dh and i'm going to call the hospital in the morning, ask to speak to a Dr to try and at least get a better understanding of why they think induction is necessary already. I will absolutely not go through with it unless they can prove there is medical need to.

Nagoo, they do seem overly keen to interfere unecessarily don't they? I read and posted on your thread about induction. Like I said I was induced with ds1 and it was okay, didn't have a horrible experience or anything but I'm not willing to go through with one without good reason.

Applemuncher Wed 24-Nov-10 20:57:51

Formal complaint required - that's an absolute violation!!!! angry

AKMD Wed 24-Nov-10 21:18:37

I would lodge a formal complaint - how dare a doctor give you a sweep without asking your permission?! angry

I would go to the induction appointment and not be induced, just ask for more information as has been already suggested.

mrspickles Wed 24-Nov-10 21:23:48

That is dreadful and unprofessional. Plus you are going to be booked for induction at only 40+4 when you're not even remotely near being properly overdue (bearing in mind normal pregnancy length is anything between 38-42 weeks). You do not need to turn up for the induction. You don't need to do anything you don't agree to, nor should a sweep have been performed without your consent. Please complain. By the way, I went to 40_+18 (had previous c-section, induction too risky on scar and refused elective section), I was examined several times, every day I think from about 40+12 to see if cervix changing, had a couple of sweeps but NEVER without permission being given first and I actually refused the sweep a couple of times as I was told that cervix not ripe at all and attempting a sweep would be very painful. I had daily monitoring until I went into labour naturally at 18 days over, so you could do that, but 40+4 is not very overdue, unless there are other real concerns for the babY??

mrspickles Wed 24-Nov-10 21:26:21

Oh and I was REALLY being pressured into an elective section, had on my notes not having one was against consultant;s advice, but I was not convinced that there was any real risk to baby so I went ahead fine. As long as you are a mentally competetant adult you can make whatever decisions YOU think are in the best interests and you and your baby.

blondieminx Wed 24-Nov-10 21:37:41

I am so shock that he did a sweep without asking. Ring the hospital tomorrow and ask to speak to the Supervisor of Midwifery as she needs to know about this guy and his outrageous conduct.

Explain what your dates are etc and that you're happy to be minitored regularly etc but are keen for nature to take its course before going down the road of sweeps/induction, and add that you are understandably upset that a sweep was done without discussion or your consent, and you are currently considering whether to make a formal complaint about the incident. Ask her to have a word with the doctor about it as you're sure that's not acceptable conduct, and to come back to you when she's done so.

When I read this apparently sometimes in births etc medical staff will say "i'm just going to do procedure" as they are literally about to start doing something. So I made damn sure that I said in my birth plan that I wanted to discuss and agree any interventionist measures and not to assume my consent for them. I'm glad I did because when it came to talk of artificial rupture of mebranes I could tell them that no thanks I didn't much fancy that!

Good luck smile

GlitteryBalls Thu 25-Nov-10 14:25:00

VERY poor practice, to do any procedure without express informed consent is wrong, as is not explaining an intended course of treatment, as is allowing a fire alarm to end an appointment when the patient still has questions! If it were me, I would consider making a formal complaint. Or at least THREATEN to make one unless someone can be bothered to speak to you properly about this, and you get an apology for the membrane sweep without consent. He actaully deliberately misled you by just describing it as an "internal to check the softness of you cervix. But that's just me (and I am not anti-doctors - I am a medical student). The fact that you are upset enough to post about it on here should be enough. Noone should feel upset or misinformed after a medical apt. xx

GlitteryBalls Thu 25-Nov-10 14:50:56

That book looks really interesting Blondieminx. Can I just ask, is it really anti the medical establishment or is it quite balanced? As I mentioned, I am a medical student, so I am fairly educated on how my body works, obviously I accept I'm no obstetrician or highly experienced midwife, so I am happy to accept the opinions guidance of those more experienced than me. Even I though, however, have felt slightly left in the dark at antenatal apts etc. and I would like to increase my knowledge of obstretric stuff espec. about childbirth as I have felt things aren't always explained to me as well as they could be so would liek some good, background knowledge to help me make decisions. If it is a bit of an anti drs rant though, I think I would lose patience as I'd prefer to make decisions based on scientific fact and make an informed choice - but not just from a cold medical textbook, I've already got plenty of them!

Stories like the OP's really sadden me - so much of my training so far has had a real emphasis on communication skills and making sure the patient is happy and reassured. And gaining proper consent is drummed into us constantly! Hopefully the new generation of graduates might be better - I certainly know I'll try and be a lot more empathic with my patients! Seriously though, the GMC really frown upon incidents like you have described so you are well within your rights to make a complaint, or to demand to get all your questions answered properly. x

almost3 Thu 25-Nov-10 15:13:36

Hi, thanks again for the replies.

I have spent most of my day trying to talk to someone about the whole situation, however, have been passed department to department, person to person etc and I'm currently waiting for a doctor to return my call.

Yesterday I was extremely upset by what happened, I came home in floods of tears and my dh was shocked at what had happened. Now i've had time to calm down and think, I'm still quite angry at the whole situation. The Doctor I saw yesterday was not my usual obstetrician as he was away on a course or something and I found this new guy to be really patronising throughout the appt anyway si I do intend to make a formal complaint about his conduct.

Glitteryballs, I agree with you, most of the medical profession are lovely, my usual OB and midwives have been fantastic so far and i've always felt well informed and respected, it was just this one doctor who, unfortunately, will cloud my judgement regarding the hospital.

Again, thanks to everyone who posted, it really did make me feel better last night as I was so upset and angry but worried I was over-reacting. Hopefully I will get some answers soon so will keep you posted x

GlitteryBalls Thu 25-Nov-10 15:34:13

Good luck. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now