Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

So angry with doctor regarding referal for antenatal !!!

(2 Posts)
mummysweeangel Wed 24-Nov-10 13:07:22

Right- have to get this off my (very sore) chest !!! Found out i was pregnant very early (day before period was due), i had some light bleeding at 5 weeks and had 2 early scans at the early pregnancy unit to confirm everything was progressing the way it should be at that time etc- Anyway- was back at my doctor 2 weeks to get him to refer me for my normal antenatal appointments and he told me that as i have high blood pressure, a history of bleeding during pregnancy, miscarraige etc, that i would be classed as high risk and would attend the high risk unit for my appointments.- Rang up today to find out if any appointment had been made yet only to be told that it would be my normal health centre i would be going to on the 22nd of December (i will be 12 weeks then) and that they dont have any ultrasound facilities so would have to wait until that day for my midwife to tell me when my scan would be booked for in another health centre !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I was really hoping that i would have had my scan before xmas and new year etc. Just feel quite angry and dissapointed !! just want to know everythings ok and why my doctor told me i would be somewhere else for my antentatal ??? - away to take 80,000 deep breaths and count slowly to 35,000000000

nomoreheels Wed 24-Nov-10 15:42:47

Just wanted to say sorry that you have had such a frustrating time. I'm 12 +5 and this is my first so I don't have a lot of experience, but from what I've seen so far, things seem to be handled very differently for a lot of people.

It does sound a little odd as I was told that I had to choose a hospital for my overall antenatal care, and would only see the community midwife to get checked out in between now and my 20 week scan, and for any questions I might have (but even then, I'm still meant to go to the hospital in case of any emergency.)

If you are high risk then I am surprised they wouldn't want to see you for a scan at 12 weeks. The MW at my hospital was quite insistent that I must have my 12 week scan at that time (although part of that was to do with the timing for DS screening, which I didn't go for)

Can you complain or ask for a second opinion to get more information? And obviously if you are worried in the meantime, go straight back to the EPU to get it checked out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: