Talk

Advanced search

Anone been prescribed anti sickness meds?

(16 Posts)
nicolamumof3 Wed 24-Nov-10 09:43:40

4th pg Am 6w and feel truly dreadful can't eat without feeling sick

Filibear Wed 24-Nov-10 10:38:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

japhrimel Wed 24-Nov-10 10:50:43

If you're not showing signs of hyperemesis - e.g. throwing up many times a day, unable to keep fluids down, ketones in urine - then most docs are reluctant to prescribe anything IME, especially that early. I struggled with this and basically had to do very little for the 1st trimester, other than lie on the sofa and eat small amounts of high-carb foods very frequently.

angels1 Wed 24-Nov-10 11:20:36

Just wanted to say to filibears/japhrimels posts about not getting anything before 12 weeks/if you're not being sick all over the place every day that you won't get meds - this wasn't the case for me (although maybe I'm lucky with my GP or my history). I was pg last year but then mc and had horrific nausea from 9 days before period was due. I had no drugs that time but was worried my body would react in the same way this time (am now 27 weeks). Sure enough, a week pre period and I started feeling sick again. I put up with it until 5 weeks when I rang my GP in tears and she told me to go to the surgery to see her and she prescribed avomine for me. I took this for a week but it didn't really help so they changed it to cyclizine at 6 weeks. I had tried EVERYTHING to help that you read about, including hypnosis CD for morning sickness and other stuff like that, but nothing worked. I've been on cyclizine now all the way through, and I have tried to reduce my dose but whenever I do I feel much more nauseous again (and still feel sick every day).

My nausea was hideous and, although taking cyclizine took the edge off it, I still felt very very sick almost all day every day, but ti was the difference between feeling like I could cope (most of the time) or not.

I did not (so far) have actual sickness yet I was prescribed it for such bad nausea. I'm convinced though that most 'normal' people would have really had alot of sickness with what I had to put up with - I have a phobia of being sick so put my whole energy into stopping my body be sick and I also spent most part of 3 months pretty much permenatnly in bed it was so bad.

Real sympathies to you. Just take every day as a day closer to feeling better and have a chat with your GP and explain how bad it is - I'm afraid it will be a bit hit or miss as to your GP if they give you anything though.

nicolamumof3 Wed 24-Nov-10 11:28:18

Thank you angels I also have a phobia about being sick

Seeline Wed 24-Nov-10 11:31:12

I was prescribed phenergan before 8 weeks with my 2nd pg (can't remember exactly when as 7 yrs ago, but definitely before booking in appointment) I had really bad ms with pg 1 and knew I wouldn't be able to cope with a toddler as well as ms 2nd time round. My GP took some persuading but gave in in the end. It didn't stop me being sick but did stop the continual nausea I had 1st time round.

angels1 Wed 24-Nov-10 11:35:34

nicolamumof3 if it helps I decided not to mention my phobia to GP when requesting drugs for ms - she's the sort of person who would just tell me to get over it, and I thought it might jar her opinion that I needed drugs (as anyone, phobia or not would have found what I went through horrific). She also signed me off work straight away without hesitation btw (it was her idea to sign me off, not mine) as I couldn't cope (but then, that may have been as I have to cook for my job and couldn't be near food).

nicolamumof3 Wed 24-Nov-10 13:26:16

got some meds beginning with a p to try. Will let you know how i get on when i feel more human!

Gracie123 Wed 24-Nov-10 13:37:03

Promethazine? I took that throughout both pregnancies and it was a total Godsend!
Makes you drowsy and you still feel nauseous, but at least your not vomiting everything you eat!!
I had cyclizine first, but was allergic (horrific reaction - I thought I was going to die!) but promthezine worked well. They usually tryto take you off it several times throughout the pregnancy as it can cause birth defects if you are on it too long (chances are very small) but if like me you are hospitalised within 48hours of not taking it they will allow you to continue for the entire pregnancy. Let's face it, birth defect is better than no baby!
On the positive side, I felt 100% better within 2 hours of given birth both times grin

ConstanceFelicity Wed 24-Nov-10 13:38:29

I was given meds for hyperemesis from about 8 wks. I had to get to the stage of being unable to hold water down before they did, though.

nicolamumof3 Wed 24-Nov-10 15:13:20

doctor obviously thought i looked dog rough, and checked me for dehydration. Yes meds are Promethazine said they will make me drowsy. Gracie were you able to wake up ok in the morning? Said i can take up to 4 times a day but then wean down to once a day at night. Strangely im feeling ok now. Think that i saw doctor and the fact they acknowledged me was enough to keep me going.

Doctor mentioned that increased ms could mean a girl..as mum of three boys everyone keeps telling me this. All i want at the moment tho is to feel better.

Gracie123 Wed 24-Nov-10 15:21:42

sad I had hyperemisis with boy and girl. I think it's old wives tales if I'm honest. Sorry.
I sometimes struggled to talk, let alone get up on Promethazine! That said they increased my dosage four or five times because it wasn't working. I was taking nearly three times the recommended dosage and pharmacists wouldnt dispense it, i had all sorts of problems getting it, but if I missed even one pill I was vomiting so much I couldn't take the next one. Thy just had to re-admit me and give me anti-sickness drugs via a drip until I was well enough to drink a glass o water and could start taking them again. blush
Make sure you wean off slowly, because a) you might start vomiting again and b) suddenly stopping can (not always) cause withdrawal and symptoms include hallucinations. Not cool when you have a new born to deal with!

angels1 Wed 24-Nov-10 15:23:07

Glad you got something nicola. WHen I first started taking meds they made be very drowsy and sopaced out but after a few days this wore off as I got used to them. fingers crossed they work for you. Promethazine is what i was initially prescribed and seems to be a popular first choice for GPs to give in pg. They are used as a seditive so carefl not to take one just before driving etc if you've never had them before confused

Gracie123 Wed 24-Nov-10 15:25:39

Oh yeah, I forgot about the driving part! That sucks. In the last 3 years I have spent nearly 2 of them not being able to drive!

newmum001 Wed 24-Nov-10 15:40:52

I was prescribed cyclizine at 7 weeks as i had Hyperemisis, also was prescribed sommething to reduce stomach acid and strong vitamins. My GP didn't prescribe it as i went straight to hospital and was extremely dehydrated but if the hospital can prescribe it at 7 weeks then the your GP should be able to too.

nicolamumof3 Wed 24-Nov-10 20:45:47

Worked and I Te a whole dinner v v strange! But do feel drowsy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now