Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What does the doctor do on your very first visit?

(17 Posts)
witches Tue 23-Nov-10 15:55:37

Just found out im pregnant but can't get an appointment until friday afternoon. could anyone give me thier experiences of their first visit? Some things on internet say there are lots of tests done and an examination but i have heard people say the doctor just accepts your pregnant and doesn't do much at this stage. Any expertise would be appreciated!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 23-Nov-10 15:57:52

IME nothing, they just tell you to make an appointment with the midwife. I'm expecting DC2 and I didn't even go to the GP, just rang up and made a midwife appointment when I was about 8/9 weeks.

How many weeks are you?

cotswolder Tue 23-Nov-10 16:11:45

Congratulations!

did nothing here either. Actually phoned the surgery to make an appointment as thought that's what I needed to do when we found out. When asked why we needed appointment and explained, the surgery said don't need to see doctors as if you had done a decent home test they took our word for it that we were pregnant.

Needed to phone local midwives (surgery had an info sheet that I went and picked up) and make an appointment to see them. Midwife arranged and did a booking in visit to our home (to check us out!) at about 8/9 weeks. This involved taking medical history, blood test and explaining process etc. No examination. I'm in Gloucestershire so not sure if same elsewhere? Would advise - if not already - telling surgery why you need appointment and taking gudiance from them.

craftynclothy Tue 23-Nov-10 16:15:05

Um, mine just asked if I was happy about it hmm then wrote me a prescription for folic acid and told me to book in with the midwife. The pharmacy told me I could fill in forms for free prescriptions.

Second time round I just booked straight in with the mw.

thefurryone Tue 23-Nov-10 16:23:55

Not a lot, mine just asked if I had done a pregnancy test and which hospital I would like to be referred to, and what type of care I'd like (i.e. midwife or consultant led, shared with GP surgery or all with hospital).

The appointment where they do blood tests, weigh you, take your medical history etc is the booking appointment. Mine was with the midwife at the hospital ante-natal clinic and included a very short scan and I had it at 10 weeks. Where and when you have this and exactly what happens will probably depend on what is normal in your area.

Oh and Congratulations

slimyak Tue 23-Nov-10 16:25:37

I was given a form to fill in to arrange my booking appointment, which they do centrally at a surestart centre here, and asked if I was already taking folic acid.

I have a DD already and I've also had 3 miscarriages. My GP advised me to see the booking midwife early and get a reassurance scan at 8 weeks, which he would back up if need be.

EauRouge Tue 23-Nov-10 16:43:37

Congratulations

My GP just congratulated me and told me to take folic acid. I was expecting another test but he said that home pregnancy tests are so accurate these days it's nearly impossible to get a false positive.

Didn't bother seeing the GP the second time around, I just phoned the surgery and booked myself straight in with the MW.

Rindercella Tue 23-Nov-10 16:46:23

Congratulations!

For my first pregnancy, the GP just said, 'oh it's very early. Anything might happen. Book an appt with the midwife in a few weeks' time if the baby is still there' hmm angry

Your booking in appt with the mw will be far more detailed (and hopefully kinder than the above!).

Bue Tue 23-Nov-10 17:00:58

Rindercella! Talk about a lovely bedside manner hmm

Riddzy Tue 23-Nov-10 17:09:27

Congrats Witches!

Wow, Rindercella ... your GP sounds a bit heartless.

My experience was kind of similar, I went into the docs a couple of weeks ago (I was about six weeks then), really excited and said "I'm pregnant!" Which was a big deal for me as it's my first and I haven't told anyone yet (other than my OH).

The doctor just turned around and started entering data into his computer, didn't say a word. I started asking questions and he kept saying "you can ask the midwife, ask the midwife". He wouldn't tell me anything and didn't look me in the eye once.

I left there feeling a bit shellshocked but I have since made contact with the midwife, who seems really nice, and I have my appointment on Saturday.

Good luck.

witches Tue 23-Nov-10 17:37:53

Thanks so much for replying everyone im only 4weeks or so. Glad i hav an idea of what to expect and now won't get my hopes up - will just be pleasantly surprised if they tell me anything! wink and sorry some of your experiences are so negative! shame of those docs!

Rindercella Tue 23-Nov-10 17:37:54

I know! Twas the same f***er who misdiagnosed DH's cancer angry Oh then, after DH walked himself into A&E, was properly diagnosed and had to go and see his GP after he came home, the said GP refused to look at him and did not even acknowledge DH's illness angry No expletive could ever begin to cover how I feel about that man.

I will him to be there when I go into the surgery. But I think he hides from me (probably just as well).

Witches, huge apologies for the hijack! Just really needed to get that off my chest as I was thinking about it. Congratulations again and the best of luck with everything smile

Smiler80 Tue 23-Nov-10 18:06:27

Congratulations witches!

My doctor was great. She said "that's great for you" in a surprisingly sincere way, checked that I took folic acid, weighed me, and measured my blood pressure.

She also helped me decide which hospital to choose for antenatal care. The receptionist then immediately proceeded to phone the hospital to book a combined scan, pencilled in three midwife appointments, made me fill in two forms for scan and free prescriptions, and finally loaded me with a huge information pack from the NHS.

I was impressed.

Smiler80 Tue 23-Nov-10 18:07:01

P.S. Rindercella very sorry to hear about your terrible experiences

activate Tue 23-Nov-10 18:11:53

tell you to book with the midwife

me23 Tue 23-Nov-10 18:48:55

pockets about £130 for referring you to a midiwfe when you can just refer yourself directly no need to see a dr.

flaurenoko Tue 23-Nov-10 19:48:20

Mine asked me more than once if I wanted an abortion.. Then told me I dont look very happy about it.. Am I sure I dont want an abortion (was still very shell shocked at the time - had no plans or intentions of getting pregnant ever!)

Asked me if I was taking folic acid - said I should be and gave me a prescription for it..

Asked if I had noticed any changes in my breasts.. Prodded around my tummy...

Gave me a choice of two hospitals to give birth in - I chose UCH - he said not to worry about all the horror stories about people giving birth at the UCH, its a perfectly good hospital (I hadnt actually heard any horror stories about it!)..

Looked at me once more and said you REALLY dont look very happy..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: