Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

When do I start "glowing"?

(13 Posts)
bonnymiffy Tue 23-Nov-10 12:11:15

I'm currently 12 weeks and I'm feeling crap! I have a yukky taste in my mouth alot of the time, need to eat constantly in order not to feel sick or hungry, but have lost any interest in food by around 7pm so need to eat dinner early, I'm knackered by 9pm, I'm having problems with my sense of smell (too sensitive) and mainly I'm wondering what the hell I was thinking getting into this?
Is this it? Or does it improve at ayny point soon? I'd like to think it might, so happy cheerfuls replies would be appreciated...

niamh29 Tue 23-Nov-10 13:23:57

Yeah, welcome to pregnancy! You probably didn't get any replies cause you requested cheerful replies!

The good news is it will get better......probably most of the symptoms will die down in the next few weeks, the bad news is they could possibly be replaced with other symptoms or worries!

Just rest as much as you can and do what you need to do to keep the symptoms at bay, and keep your eye on the prize at the end!!

Rocklover Tue 23-Nov-10 13:50:46

I hate to be a party pooper, but I never glowed in my last pregnancy (even though I felt much better in the second half).

This pregnancy I am still feeling a bit ropey at 30 weeks and I have accepted that I am not, nor ever will be a "glower".

But that doesn't mean you won't! You should start picking up between now and 20 weeks, just be kind to yourself and take each day as it comes.

janedoe25 Tue 23-Nov-10 15:51:24

Good question Bonny im 28wks and still waiting.................

bonnymiffy Tue 23-Nov-10 15:59:25

Jane oh well, still time! Here's hoping! I just thought there might be a break in between feeling crap at the beginning and at the end when you can actually enjoy it all.. I guess folks who are enjoying it all are probably too busy to post on here anyway as I think I'm going to stop reading these pages soon!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 23-Nov-10 16:01:27

Um, well you'll feel a lot better in about a month or so. Whether you'll be glowing is another matter wink

With DS I went directly from dreadful sickness to crippling SPD with no real break and I felt and looked pretty awful throughout.

This time I had much less sickness and the SPD doesn't seem to be developing so rapidly so I am feeling much better in myself. All spotty though, so not really a glow as such....

But you will feel better than you do right now.

diyqueen Tue 23-Nov-10 16:52:01

I started gradually feeling better at about 17 weeks - got very fed up of people saying to me 'oh you're in the second trimester now, bet you feel wonderful and have loads of energy!' when I was at the same stage as you. I still wouldn't call it 'glowing' (unless you count a red face from all the spots - where's the lovely clear skin I should have?!) just feeling more back to normal, which is a big relief. I think it can take a long time for your body to adjust, but hopefully it will for you too, hang in there and be kind to yourself.

cotswolder Tue 23-Nov-10 17:11:25

I've wondered about this one.

Think what you look like and feel like are two different things! People started telling me I looked "glowing" from about 20 odd weeks, had shining hair, glowing skin and looked really healthy apparently but to be honest I just felt knackered with a spare tyre round my middle and panicking when I didn't feel any movement for a few hours!. Not sure where the apparent burst of energy came in however that the internet pages promised me either. I was had!

As others have said, symptoms etc will come and go and some weeks will be great and you will feel on top of the world and others not so great! Just need to give yourself plenty of breaks, get plenty of rest as that really does help.

JBrd Tue 23-Nov-10 18:13:19

I'm 16+1 and feel far from glowing. Some days I'm fine, have lots of energy and am very positive, but other days (today, for example), I feel completely out of sorts, lacklustre, uninspired, fat and just... bleurgh.

Haven't noticed any changes in my hair or skin, to be honest.

One of my pg books says the reason some people appear to be glowing and healthy-looking when pg is that the onset of water retention makes wrinkles and creases disappear hmm

gallicgirl Tue 23-Nov-10 21:32:23

I'm 32 weeks and still waiting for that boost of energy to appear in the second trimester! I did have nice nails for about 2 weeks in August though.

I would echo the comment about getting rest and sleep. You'd be amazed how easily you become exhausted from the slightest task.

AlpinePony Wed 24-Nov-10 08:37:49

I started glowing at around 31 weeks and delivered at 36 - so my period of wonderfullness was cruelly cut short! wink

PGWomble Wed 24-Nov-10 12:06:43

I'm 27 weeks and had a run of about 5 days when I was glowing at around 22 weeks. That's it. I feel cheated out of the promised 2nd trimester energy boost angry

Deliaskis Wed 24-Nov-10 14:49:33

People have told me my hair and skin etc. looks like I'm glowing, but I still feel like shite (27+4)!

I'm not throwing up anymore though (this stopped for me at about 24 weeks) and can make it to 10.30pm before having to go to bed on a good night, so I guess I'm better than I was in the first trimester.

Glowy, I am not feeling though!

D

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: