Talk

Advanced search

Leicester Royal Infirmary - 20 Week Scan - Do they reveal the sex?

(20 Posts)
lolaclare Mon 22-Nov-10 11:13:48

I am due to have my 20 week scan at the LRI next month but have heard rumours that they will not (as a policy) reveal the sex of the baby.

However, what I have heard is all friend-of-a-friend stories. Has anyone on MN had their 20 week scan at the LRI and did they give you the option of finding out the sex?

I would like to know in advance to avoid disappointment on the day and perhaps consider booking a private scan as I do really want to know.

geekygiraffe Mon 22-Nov-10 11:19:27

Hi, I had my 20 week scan there in October. We didn't want to know the sex, and told the sonographer. She said 'We only tell you if you ask; it's not routine'... so you should be ok : )

geekygiraffe Mon 22-Nov-10 11:20:08

Oh, btw, we've had two lovely sonographers there, and one who was a cow not so nice, so it may also depend on who you get.

lolaclare Mon 22-Nov-10 15:46:58

Thanks geekygiraffe. I'll have to make sure to ask then. When I was pregnant with DD1 having my 20 wk scan at a different hospital, they asked straight away if we wanted to know the sex or not. Before the scan had even started.

I think I may have had the not so nice sonographer at my 12 wk scan as the woman was a grumpy cow. grin

oggybags Mon 22-Nov-10 18:48:07

HI HAD MINE THERE 2 WEEKS AGO AND THEY DIDNT TELL - WE DIDNT ASK - BUT MY FRIEND HAD HER 12 WEEK SCAN LAST WEEK AND ASKED IF THEY COULD TELL AS AT A PRIVATE ONE SHE'D ALREADY HAD SUGGESTED THEY'D BE ABLE TO - THEY COULD AND DID,
THEY OFTEN WONT IF YOURE OF ETHNIC SENSITIVITY ORIGINS - MY MUSLIM FRIEND WAS TOLD THEY 'COULDNT TELL' EVEN THOUGH IT WAS VERY CLEAR THEY COULD...shock
oops just noticed all the caps sorry...
when are you due - i'll be there end march all being well!

lolaclare Tue 23-Nov-10 14:52:12

Thanks, oggybags - I had been told by someone that the reason for NOT telling was the high Asian population in Leicester but didn't really believe it. I thought it was an urban myth.

But if your friend wasn't told just because of her ethnic origin, that's pretty shocking. Especially if they are telling other people who ask... If there was proof of that, I'm sure someone could get into trouble.

Back to the topic, I will definitely ask right at the start so that the sonographer knows I do want to know. Sounds like waiting to be told or be asked about it won't do much good. And as my DH and I are most definitely of white-British origin, fingers crossed they'll agree to look.

Althought I am a bit hmm about them judging whether people should be allowed to find out from their ethnic origin or religion...

geekygiraffe Tue 23-Nov-10 16:25:40

Don't spose any of you leicester ladies live south of the city? Don't have any pregnant/mummy friends near here, although going on NCT buy a friend antenatal course v soon [sad old bird emoticon].

Hopandpop Tue 23-Nov-10 18:50:58

im having my scan there tuesday, they told me both previous pregnancys but i do remeber at my last one that they were not telling asian/black ethnicity ladies as there had been an increase in girl babies being aborted after the 20 week scan!!!! not sure how true it is, just weird its been brought up now all these years later

choufleur Tue 23-Nov-10 18:54:46

I was told (Ds is 4) and a friend has known the sex of all her 3.

Bonkerz Tue 23-Nov-10 19:03:20

My sister had her 5th baby on Sunday and had all her care at LRi and they refused to tell her the sex even though she asked at every scan (12,21,28,32 weeks) She said her sonographer was an older lady though and horrid so it may be pick of the crop! LOL
I have my care at nuneaton and they told me when i was pregnant with DD and they have written in my notes already that i want to know sex at my scan on new years eve!

lolaclare Fri 26-Nov-10 09:47:15

Hmmmm - so mixed answers then. Some people get told and some don't.

Sounds like it may be more recently that they have stopped telling. Or that it depends on which sonographer you get.

Are you going to ask about the sex on Tuesday, Hopandpop? If so, let us know how they respond please.

oggybags Sat 27-Nov-10 18:05:21

when are all you leicester ladies due?

lolaclare Mon 29-Nov-10 12:28:04

I'm due May 5th.

Hopandpop Mon 29-Nov-10 13:20:50

hiii i have my scan tomorrow at 11.20 adn i really want to know the sex, ill let you know what they say, im due april 15th with my third and im 25

geekygiraffe Mon 29-Nov-10 15:55:55

I'm due 4 Feb (baby number 1, I'm 32).

oggybags Mon 29-Nov-10 18:46:09

Ooh we're all spreadout, i'm 26th march!

usualsuspect Mon 29-Nov-10 18:48:31

Yes they tell you if you ask

Hopandpop Tue 30-Nov-10 19:32:31

hiiiiiiiiii she told me and it was a very proud boy no doubt about it, she was younger then me and lovely! i was the last one there apparently loads had cancelled due to snow but it had all melted??!
yay a boy after two girls, ive been shopping1

usualsuspect Tue 30-Nov-10 21:21:26

congrats !!!

lolaclare Wed 01-Dec-10 21:45:53

congratulations! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now