Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Nutmeg

(5 Posts)
forest234 Sat 20-Nov-10 15:54:45

On Wednesday I made dinner for me and DH. It was a new recipe which included the use of nutmeg. I grated about a quarter of a whole nutmeg into the dish which me and DH shared (it was yummy).

Then today as I was browsing the internet looking for something I came across some info that said that nutmeg was unsafe for pregnancy. Has anyone else heard of this? Is the levels I used dangerous? Has anyone else used nutmeg in cooking while pg.

I am really worried. So much so, that DH says that if I carry on then he will turn our internet connection off.

PGWomble Sat 20-Nov-10 15:58:18

My understanding (and I have a MSc is Development Disorders) is that it is one of those things that you'd have to eat by the truckload for it to do any damage. Please don't worry.

PGWomble Sat 20-Nov-10 16:01:21

Just double checked in one of my text books. Nutmeg in culinary use is fine. Avoid nutmeg oil in excess.

forest234 Sat 20-Nov-10 17:02:14

Thanks girls. You just talked me off the ledge. I love mumsnet for that.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sat 20-Nov-10 19:21:26

Nutmeg contains a chemical (is it safrole?? can't remember) that is thought to be an abortifacient (sp?) but honestly, you'd have to eat several nuts in a sitting, and since it's also an emetic (makes you puke!) you probably wouldn't be able to keep it all down. Cooking with it is fine.

Don't worry. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: