Talk

Advanced search

Induction

(12 Posts)
Louise4575 Fri 19-Nov-10 19:15:41

I am pregnant with DC3 and have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I did not have it with DS1 and DS2 - had 2 quick natural births (8 hrs and 4 hrs). This time the hospital are talking about inducing me early because of GD. Does anyone else have experience of this? Is labour this time likely to be quick as well even if I am induced or do induced births take longer? Are induced births more painful and should I ask for an epidural?

CarGirl Fri 19-Nov-10 19:21:57

It's a bit of an unknown. I've had 4 inductions and they were all different.

I think once you get into labour it will be very quick but how long it takes to start is the question........

They start off with the pessaries and it's okay, I've had 2 ARMs both prior to having an epidural.

If they start wanting to give you a drip demand an epidural first!

AT what gestation did you go into labour with your other 2 and at how many weeks are they talking about inducing you?

Louise4575 Fri 19-Nov-10 19:25:28

38+2 with DS1 and 40+5 with DS2. Hosp have said may induce any time from 38 weeks up until 39+5 depending on size of baby and how stable my blood sugars are etc. Silly question but what are ARMs?

CarGirl Fri 19-Nov-10 19:37:35

artificial rupture or membranes - really hurt tbh, but only takes seconds, they can only do them if you're dilate enough - about 3cm and tend to do them if the labout is really not progressing.

As you had your first at 38+2 I think you are likely to be okay and just the pessaries get you going? They do a pessary every 6 hours and will usually let you have 3 then if nothing much is happening but you have dilated a little then the ARM.

4oclockwakeup Fri 19-Nov-10 19:49:48

i was induced because of pre eclampsia at 40+2. my labour was long but i'm not sure it was because of the induction. I only had 1 pessary and labour was progressing well I put the long labour down to the epidural I had when I was about 7cm as I was knackered. I've heard of people being induced and labour being super quick so I guess it all depends....

CarGirl Fri 19-Nov-10 19:56:25

My official labour with induction #4 was 2 minutes but I had been experiencing pain for 11 hours before that but was fine with gas & air and sitting on the birthing ball for the 4 hours.....it only kicked in an hour after the 2nd pessary.

wigglesrock Fri 19-Nov-10 20:53:39

I was induced with dc2. I got 2 gel packs in the morning. Wandered about, had a few baths, watched some tv etc, was monitored once for about 15 mins. Labour was 2hrs 30 mins, didn't seem as painful as dc1. I had gas and air, thought it was a really positive experience.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Nov-10 20:54:38

Induction is a wonderful thing in hobs and crap thing in labour IME.

lukewarmcupoftea Fri 19-Nov-10 21:01:24

whomovedmychocolate grin. I concur.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Nov-10 21:09:02

I do love my Neff though wink

CarGirl Fri 19-Nov-10 21:17:34

I don't know any different grin the only way mine will come out it would seem!

lukewarmcupoftea Sat 20-Nov-10 14:30:45

Tbh my non-induction experience was shit as well, so you should probably ignore me. I would recommend avoiding childbirth completely <waves magic wand>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now