Talk

Advanced search

Lovely things about being pregnant

(50 Posts)
Diamondback Thu 18-Nov-10 19:51:20

Because we hear quite enough about the other!

Yesterday, I had already missed my first train back from London and didn't want to miss the next one as my DH was hanging around to pick me up, so I RAN up the escalators into Paddington, ran to the platform with one minute to spare and stopped at the First Class carriage. I asked the guard if I could get on at 1st class and walk through. He looked a bit hmm, so I pointed out the massive belly and explained that I'm six months pregnant and I couldn't run any further!

He gave me a seat in first class smile

Other things that are great:
- I moved house and wasn't allowed to lift anything!
- people keep making me cups of tea and giving me chocolate;
- my DH rubs my bump all the time and talks to it;
- i feel wriggles and kicks and they make me laugh;
- It frightens all my 18 year old male students to death, and that makes me laugh too wink

Anymore for anymore?

Icklelilly Thu 18-Nov-10 20:01:16

The thought that all the difficult cases I'm currently juggling at work will have been dealt with by the time I return from maternity leave - that gets me through each day!

Also first pregnancy so each new symptom just makes everything seem so much more real and solid, so excited and already love my little bean - even enjoying my little bit of morning sickness to date (probably just because it was a little bit though confused).

Ah - happy thread....thanks Diamondback.

broccolitrees Thu 18-Nov-10 20:11:40

i'm going to have another babygrin
love when you see it on the scan
love when you can feel it
love when it's here
even don't mind the sickness because of it

LittleMissFirstTimeMummy Thu 18-Nov-10 20:33:02

DH makes me dinner/snacks/cups of tea whenever I want (almost) without complaint smile
people keep telling me how great I look (even when I don't)
customers tip more when they realise I'm pregnant and I've been waiting on them all night
DH massages my feet after every shift, which may only be once a week but I appreciate it, and whenever they ache

That's all I can think of right now. I know there are more...

grin

sam26oscar Thu 18-Nov-10 20:48:19

i just love being able to wear what the hell ilike cos i'm not fat i'm pregnant!! Also when else can you wear dungarees without creating a fashion mistake??!!grin

TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 18-Nov-10 20:58:47

Love not having to do the dishes anymore because I can't reach the sink and it gives me a bad back having to stoop over it.

Love getting to sit on the comfy chaise part of the sofa every evening without a grumble from DP.

Also, I went to a book-signing last saturday with DP and my 2yr old and the queue was enormous. I had been queing for over an hour and the line had barely moved, my toddler was getting grouchy and hungry when one of the women from the authors management team came for a look along the line, saw me with my very pregnant belly and offered me a chair to sit on. I declined as I hate drawing attention to myself so she took me straight to the front of the queue and nobody so much as grumbled! What made it even better was a group of women had nearly knocked me over in their haste to get in front of me so walking past them all smug was lovely!

I love the kicks and the scan pics but apart from the above I don't really enjoy pregnancy very much and can't wait for it to be over.

PipPipPip Thu 18-Nov-10 21:10:30

I love:

- that impending fatherhood is bringing the best out in my partner
- each appointment where I'm told things are 'normal'
- my friends' excitement
- the advice and hand-me-downs I'm getting from friends with babies
- that my Mum has started knitting baby clothes
- thinking of baby names
- the look and feel of my body
- daydreaming about the future

maktaitai Thu 18-Nov-10 21:14:47

I loved going round a stately home when I was pregnant - everyone else had to stand, I was allowed to sit in every room smile

I loved going my work Christmas do at 8.5 months pregnant - ship in full sail/full bloom, I felt fantastic

StrangewaysHereICome Thu 18-Nov-10 21:57:17

I must get DH to read this thread - he could learn a thing or two wink.

I love all the kicks and wiggles and the excitement of my two DD's about everything baby related.

Now how do I get DH to massage my feet ...

fannybaws Thu 18-Nov-10 22:38:50

I love how my two toddlers look in awe at my bump and try to talk to it in the bath.
I love sitting at night and feeling the kicks and wiggles.
I love the fact I only have 5 shifts left at work.
I feel so lucky that this baby, DC5 is on the way and can't wait tio see him/her with the older 4 boys.
I love the thought of breastfeeding again, the sheer simple pleasure of it.

TooImmature2BMum Fri 19-Nov-10 10:08:08

DH carrying things for me...in fact, everyone carrying things for me! One of my friends carried my small suitcase down 3 flights of stairs after I was staying at my sister's a few weeks ago (suitcase was really not heavy!).

DH saying I could stay in bed last weekend while he got up to tidy the hugely messy living room and kitchen!

Counting down to maternity leave.

Automatically getting the bed/proper mattress when staying at my friends' houses and there are 5 of us trying to share a 1-bed flat (with one double bed between 5) and not having to take a turn sleeping on the floor.

TooImmature2BMum Fri 19-Nov-10 10:10:17

Not spending half so much on nights out (or in) because all I've had is a glass of water/Diet Coke!

faverolles Fri 19-Nov-10 10:13:40

I love that my older dc are all so excited.
Love feeling the baby move around (and that it seems so much calmer than the other three)
Love that by the beginning of December i'll have finished work.
Really looking forward to the baby coming.

thefurryone Fri 19-Nov-10 10:28:50

The excited look on my DH's face as he looks at my emerging bump.

1Catherine1 Fri 19-Nov-10 10:29:18

I agree with lots of posts already made...

I love how random people offer to carry things for me. My vet carried my cat carrier into the consulting room from the waiting room, The handyman for the building I live in carried a heavy bag of exercise books up two flights of stairs for me.

I love how my OH pays extra attention to me and bump - I now get two kisses at bedtime. One for me and one for baby. I also love how he is more reluctant to ask me to "just ..[insert random errand here].. on your way home from work".

I love how I'm still as forgetful as I was pre-pregnancy but now people don't sigh and shake their head at me when I've forgotten something.

Mostly I love feeling my little girl fidgeting and knowing she's ok.

knittakid Fri 19-Nov-10 10:32:08

I second everything pipip said.
As a person, my role in life is much more than childbearing, as for my body, it feels as if it is doing what it has always prepared to do and that feels great!

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Fri 19-Nov-10 10:36:46

When I was 36 weeks with DD, I was stuck with my legs crossed in a very long queue for the ladies in Asda. A teenage girl with Down's grabbed my arm and loudly announced 'this woman needs to go first', hustled me to the front and pushed me into a free cubicle...

pinkthechaffinch Fri 19-Nov-10 10:38:23

Squeezing out colustrum -much more satisfying than squeezing spots!

Lying down in the bath and having a lovely huge mound rise above the surface.

Feeling night time kicks when you can't sleep at night.

Having lovely glossy hair and skin

CountBapula Fri 19-Nov-10 10:44:57

I felt utterly gorgeous whilst pregnant. Something v liberating about having a big bump and not having to hide anything. And I had completely clear skin for the first time since my mid-teens!

pinkthechaffinch Fri 19-Nov-10 10:51:52

It's about the only time you can feel pleased and proud to be growing bigger.

LisasCat Fri 19-Nov-10 11:27:37

I love that the other half is getting so involved and happy this time round. We weren't together the first time (broke up before finding out, stayed friends, got back together when DD was 2), and he's always regretted missing out on the little things. So this time he's all out with stroking my tummy, talking to bump, looking after me, making decisions together that last time I had to make alone....

Diamondback Fri 19-Nov-10 11:45:34

Ooh Pink - I love the night time kicks! When you can't sleep or you wake up extra early, it feels like a little secret time for the two of you, with her wriggling about inside smile

Cyclebump Fri 19-Nov-10 13:19:17

I love that my DP nearly cried at our 20-week scan because he found it so amazing.

I love the wriggling and kicks, especially when I sing, even though it makes me laugh at inappropriate moments.

I love how excited my whole family is and that they're all being so fabulously supportive.

I love that when I'm having a rubbish day I can put my hands on my bump and think about the little boy in there who I get to meet in April.

Smiler80 Fri 19-Nov-10 14:48:41

What a great thread - it's made me feel incredibly smiley when tiredness was just getting me down a bit.

Only 7 weeks today so perhaps not a very long list yet, but here's mine:

I love being able to finally give in to the occasional treat

I love DH being wonderful and considerate. Never knew he had so much empathy!

I love the idea of telling my Mum when she comes back from holiday in 2 days time - she will be the first we tell!

Deliaskis Fri 19-Nov-10 14:50:02

Lovely thread, here's mine:

DH being just completely amazing all the time, and always knowing the right thing to do and say, yet insisting I'm the amazing one.

Like the kicks and wriggles too, and the hiccups! Cyclebump my baby wriggles more when I sing too, and even specifically when we are singing certain types of chords/resolutions etc. (sing in a 4 part harmony a capella chorus).

Mum not telling me to 'pull myself together' if I just blub for no reason.

People at work looking after me, cups of tea, let me take that box for you etc. without being asked.

Every scan and doppler when I get let into a little tiny bit of baby's world.

The oddity of the fact that I'm even pregnant at all - total surprise, against all the odds, was using contraception, was too late in my cycle to conceive anyway, not planning a baby, but this happened anyway, and feels totally special because it must have just been 'meant to be'.

One of my Brownies (8 yrs old) twigged the other day that I was pregnant (was in more revealing clothes instead of baggy T-shirts), and she just suddenly got a huge beam on her face and bubbled over with 'you're having a baby' in a completely awestruck voice, made me feel very special.

Starting to plan for 6 months off work.

How happy and excited DH is, he's already planning to take our littl'un to baby swim on Wednesday mornings.

D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now