Talk

Advanced search

What can I take for a bad cough (after nasty cold) which is keeping me awake?

(6 Posts)
lucy101 Wed 17-Nov-10 22:37:26

I am 27 weeks and feeling pretty rough - I can feel the dreadful cold I have had for a few days moving onto my chest and throat but not sure what I can take. Can't bear the idea of coughing all night another night and then feeling just shattered the next day again as feeling exhausted as it is... any ideas what is safe?

Havingkittens Wed 17-Nov-10 23:06:28

Vicks vaporub has been a godsend for me. A tiny bit dissolved in a bowl of boiling water as an inhalation before bed and some on a tissue to hold by your pillow whilst you sleep. If you wake up to a coughing fit just have a deep breathe on the tissue.

twinsister Thu 18-Nov-10 13:30:58

teaspoon of honey, works wonders

debka Thu 18-Nov-10 13:34:23

Pharmacist gave me some medicine called Glycerine Lemon and Honey with Glucose. Worked pretty well.

smoggii Thu 18-Nov-10 14:04:42

I have suffered with terrible colds throughout my pregnancy, it's been awful, i have one at the moment and like you i can feel it moving on to my chest.

I went to the Docs in the end and he gave me an athsma pump because i couldn't breathe between coughing fits. It was the only thing that helped in the end.

Good luck x

llandb Thu 18-Nov-10 19:02:36

You have my sympathy!

I am very naughty as I have taken the occasional little spoon of my toddler's cough syrup (Tixylix in profusion; Buttercup with caution). I don't think it's permitted but I figure it's marginally safer than adult cough syrup, and that the night after night of no sleep isn't terribly good either! Do check ingredients list if you're at 27 weeks though

And for daytime/throat stuff (rather than chest), fisherman's friend lozenges. Vile stuff but highly effective decongestant. Again, I assume safe in pregnancy. I work on the basis that it kills the phlegm slightly more quickly than it kills the patient (rather as a hot curry would)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now