Talk

Advanced search

when should i start seeing a community midwife

(6 Posts)
valentinemum10 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:26:11

hello,
im going to sound really stupid and i feel stupid for asking this but when should i have started seeing a community midwife and do i have to?
im 29 weeks and i went fora GTT test at the hosptial a fewdays ago& the nurse asked me why i haven't seen a CM yet. if im honest i didn't know i had to arrange for this&my gp mentioned absolutely nothing about pre natal care/appts etc.
this my first PG &i have no idea what i should be doing...well i've done as much as i could & i thought the hosptial arrange all the CM stuff.
Am i just supposed to know what to do when i get pregnant??!!NO! im a bit annoyed by such little information ive been given from GP/hospital.I also could never get any information from my GP when i asked them questions about what i should be doing..they just said-your hospital will sort it all out.
I don't know anyone with kids nearby & had a pretty roughtime with this PG (HG,depression etc)so no one to ask.
i've finally found a CW and seeing her tomorrow.I hope she can check im ok&the baby.
has anyone else felt left in the dark about all this as a first timer?

me23 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:33:33

who did your booking in then? normally this is the mw, depending where you are you may just be seen by the hospital mws.

Have you actually been seeing mws at all?
the appts for a first pregnancy are at booking then 16, 21, 25, 30, 34, 36, 38, 40, 41.

LoopyLoops Wed 17-Nov-10 21:40:04

Usually about 10-12 weeks.
Don't worry though, it will all be fine hopefully. Good luck.

valentinemum10 Wed 17-Nov-10 22:06:00

Me23- its a long messy story but i didnt see a doc till i was 12 weeks.(had to wait 3 weeks to get an appt!)then waited a month to hear from hospital for a bookin appt but it turns out the referal letter from my gp had been 'lost' so i had to wait another 2 weeks to get a booking appt!
i've only seen a nurse/midwife twice at the hospital once for my bookin appt &once for when i had a 20 week scan.thats it!
i've been wondering why i haven't been seeing a MW seeing i've got a million questions to ask and worry about.
well my first one is going to be tomorrow...but i do feel annoyed about it all!
im fretting now that ive been neglectful!i think everythings ok with me.

me23 Thu 18-Nov-10 08:58:29

Don't worry I'm sure you will be fine, this isn't your fault it should have been arranged for you, in my first pregnancy my referral was also lost so I didn't get booked until 16 weeks was very annoying as you do tend to worry especially with your first pregnNcy. Good luck with Mw today :-)

Franimal Thu 18-Nov-10 12:00:57

Thanks for your post, I was wondering the same thing myself. I'm actually still early on at 7.5 weeks. I've just moved house too and so far, I have found my new GP pretty useless, didn't offer any advice or information. My previous practise did offer a lot more support. I have contacted a community midwife to set up a home visit but had to reschedule due to a family emergency, then she had to reschedule and now she's on holiday, so I'm just waiting. It seems mostly that they just leave you to get on with things, which is quite annoying because I am very anxious and have lots of questions. I suffered a missed miscarriage earlier this year, which was an absolutely traumatic experience and am terrified of it happening again. My GP knows this and did send a message to the midwife to find out about an early scan but so far I've heard nothing. They don't seem to be taking me seriously and I'm under a lot of stress right now anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now