Talk

Advanced search

Shoulder Blade pain??

(7 Posts)
Julezboo Wed 17-Nov-10 20:21:56

Hiya all.

I am 27+3 today and have a growth scan and cons appt tomorrow. But for the last few days Ive been in agony with my right shoulder blade/back area. So much so its restricting my arm movements and how I walk hobble

Can anyone shed any light? Could it just be that my bump is so big for gestation its causing a strain?

I havent measured bump btw, but i am about an inch or two off being the size I was with DS2 at full term shock

It hurts and I feel like crying tbh. I have co-codomal which they gave me two weeks ago for a painful UTI, would it be okay to take these tonight so I can get some sleep?

Showaddywaddy Wed 17-Nov-10 20:27:32

I had a similar problem at a similar gestation. It turned out it was something to do with the way I was sitting and the side dd favoured. She lay far over to the left with her feet in my ribs. It caused a trapped nerve and muscle strain as I compensated for it.

I saw a pregnancy physio. It was very painful until then. She sorted my back out, gave me exercises and a support band. You can self refer to the pregnancy physio here so that might be an option. Otherwise, ask your midwife to refer you asap.

LacksDaisies Wed 17-Nov-10 20:38:07

Referred shoulder pain in early pregnancy can be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy, but you are obviously well beyond that stage! Referred shoulder pain can also be due to gallstones or a host of other conditions which cause pressure on the diaphragm, including wind. I would take the painkillers for tonight, but be sure to mention it tomorrow. And obviously call an ambulance/get to hospital if it worsens overnight.

I had pain so severe when I was pregnant with my DD that I thought I was having a heart attack and couldn't use my left arm to change gear in the car; I was driving to work through a really big and busy junction and was terrified! I was just about to detour by the hospital, then let out an almighty burp/fart combo blush and the pain miraculously disappeared!

Julezboo Wed 17-Nov-10 21:34:23

Thanks both

LacksDaises - thats how bad its been today. Im in bed now propped up on a million pillows. Doesnt feel like trapped wind. I get that a lot. Its more like ive been laid funny.

I do get all my kids on my right side where the pain in so could be why.

Will make sure I tell them tomorrow. Was going to ask for physio anyway for hips/sciatic pain! This pregnancy is being just awful to me!

lilly13 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:51:14

I am extremely stiff on my shoulders. Yoga helps me a lot. There are various asanas to address this issue and I am sending you a couple of most basic stretches to try:

www.ehow.co.uk/video_2346219_shoulder-releasing-yo ga-poses.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh1KuuiLgro&feature=relate d

Hope you feel better!

LacksDaisies Fri 19-Nov-10 19:51:57

how did it go with the consultant Julezboo?

Miffster Fri 19-Nov-10 21:30:53

Just a thought - have you got the right sized bra on?
If your boobs have grown that can put a real strain on your upper back as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now