Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What does the pregnancy glow even look like?

(25 Posts)
TooImmature2BMum Wed 17-Nov-10 20:01:07

And why aren't I doing it?

I have always thought it involved thicker, glossy hair and an indefinable air of health...my hair seems thinner than ever, any 'glowing' I am doing is the red-faced too-hot type, and I have just developed an irritating mouth ulcer.

Has anyone ever told you you're glowing, and if so, what does it look like?

Haliborange Wed 17-Nov-10 20:07:16

Don't ask me. I look like shit when pregnant. I have thick hair anyway so when it stopped falling out I just had giant muppet hair. The only good bit was I had lovely nails. But people didn't notice my hands: they were too busy staring at my red-faced, sweaty waddling.

FourEyesGood Wed 17-Nov-10 20:16:04

The pregnancy glow doesn't exist! People just tell us that we look glowing because they can't find anything nice and specific to say about how we look, and they want to make us feel good because they know we feel shit! grin

bessie26 Wed 17-Nov-10 20:42:25

isn't the "glow" the (relatively) nice bit in between MS & getting uncomfortably fat?

PavlovtheCat Wed 17-Nov-10 20:43:50

Whatever it is, it passed me by! I sort of glowed greenish from vomiting so much, is that what you mean wink

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 17-Nov-10 20:50:14

Have been told I am now glowing - my skin has certainly improved

But I am starting a slight waddle and I fear I am going to get too fat and post birth will sob at how much weight I have to loose....

Was not helped by seeing someone today at the same stage of pg as me, skinny all over with just a bump and didn't have MS at all

<sulks>

BornAgainBokononist Wed 17-Nov-10 20:54:13

Don't know I never got it!

<joins in sulk>

roundthehouses Wed 17-Nov-10 20:57:21

I have been told I have it in both pregnancies.. normally 1st/2nd trimester, certainly not in the third. I have never had MS though so am sure that helped.

I put the weight on my face quite quickly so until I get really bloated in 3rd tri I think it is probably quite flattering, kind of plumps me up a bit (i stress, this is what other people think. I of course think I look like i have a fat face). And my skin and hair generally looks quite good condition.

All goes to shit from 3rd trimester until a couple of years post birth though so really its little consolation in the grand scheme of things, if it makes you feel any better grin

Also the whole time I get compliments I am still feeling knackered and bloated with my not yet pregnant-belly still being forced into pre-preg jeans. like i said, little consolation.

autumnberry Wed 17-Nov-10 21:03:56

I noticed a more even skin tone almost immediately.

LittleMilla Wed 17-Nov-10 21:06:20

I am 17 weeks and my previously clear flawless skin is being hijacked by super-massive flipping zits. So annoying and I too am feeling a bit cheated.

Haliborange I too have quite thick hair and am not really looking forward to any more TBH

As Foureyes says, it's all rollox and simply something for others to say.

I am yet to get to garganteum (sp) porportions. But at 5ft 1, my DH keeps on joking that i'll look like a bowling ball. He clearly doesn't bother with the same pleasentaries!

Sorry for crap spelling. Tired.

suedehead Wed 17-Nov-10 22:04:19

urgh. i agree. so far my 'glow' consists of spots, greasy hair, and having to pluck my eyebrows almost hourly...

cupcakebakerer Wed 17-Nov-10 22:54:00

I think I look healthier due simply down to the fact my current condition prevents me from drinking wine like a goldfish and living off any old shite I find in our cupboards. For once in my life I do actually feel alert and not in a permanently hungover state.

ethelina Wed 17-Nov-10 22:58:54

My glow consisted of oily skin and nasty fat spots on my face, chest and shoulders which my husband took great pleasure in squeezing the bastard
9 weeks after giving birth my skin is flawless and even again (well as much as it was before anyway)

happycamel Thu 18-Nov-10 10:05:41

I'm with ethelina; terrible skin which my hubby hates and picks at. He woke me up by squeezing a zit on my shoulder this morning "I couldn't resist" were his words. Spare room from now on, methinks.

My skin has been terrible throughout (always was unless I was on Dianette). My bitch of an assistant looked at me slightly doubtfully the other day and said "you should see your midwife, I glowed during my pregnancy". The thing is, I managed her back then and she didn't look any different than she does now, I guess people were just being nice to her.

Maybe those of us that suffer with the hormones through pregnancy will glow afterwards, here's hoping anyway!

NeedToSleepZZZ Thu 18-Nov-10 10:33:05

I'm with Haliborange on the hair front, I have a mushroom head, very healthy!

I think my 'glow' comes from the radiant red colour my face becomes when having one of my many daily hormonal rages/ mini breakdowns. I find the snot bubbles particularly distract from my massive stomach and the eczema on my hands covers up any water retention.

We all look gorgeous wink

youngblowfish Thu 18-Nov-10 11:04:21

It is all a big fat lie. Yes, my hair stopped falling out and started growing more quickly, but I am the only one who notices. I never had particularly good skin, but it was under control with some topical antibiotic creams, with only an occasional zit here and there. Now my entire jawline is covered in painful spots and, on top of it, my normally greasy skin is terribly flaky ATM. I also sprouted more hair on my legs and some bonus ones all over my chin, eyebrows and belly!

So my glow is fake and consists of expensive make-up and never-ending epilation. I probably make twice the effort to look respectable and it does make me feel slightly better. But I am certainly not glowing.

kelly2525 Fri 19-Nov-10 02:16:03

Your glow is waiting to be delivered to you, its sitting at the end of a rainbow with the pot of gold, being taken care of by the tooth fairy, father christmas and the easter bunny.

At 32 weeks im sure mine is gonna be delivered to me soon.

Or maybe i`ll just continue to be a tired, bad tempered, full of cold, permanently too hot, bad tempered, easily annoyed, grumpy fucker for the next 8 weeks grin

frakkinup Fri 19-Nov-10 07:17:21

My glow is courtesy of Laura Mercier...

FindingMyMojo Fri 19-Nov-10 09:19:40

my glow involves one red scabbyish itchy cheek where I have developed eczema, and lots of sweat glow when I "exert" myself. Sometimes "exert" is simply going upstairs on the bus

TooImmature2BMum Fri 19-Nov-10 09:27:58

PMSL at Kelly!

Yes, I forgot about the 'ladies glow' part (ie, sweat). Particularly pleasant in a hot, open plan, stuffy office. And the hairy belly - although mine has always been more hirsute than I would like, it is now much harder to keep on top of, because I just can't be bothered (and have dropped tweezers under the bed and can't find them).

SaraL77 Fri 19-Nov-10 13:16:03

I agree, I think people just say you 'glow' to make you feel better.

my skin has become fab with this pregnancy (really smooth and soft- whereas 1st pg was afwul) one day I went out feeling 'fresh and glowing' and met up with my mum who then said 'dear, you look tired' ...great, thanks mum.

otherwise feeling fat and hairy (hairy cos I can't reach places I used to to shave!)

JoEW Fri 19-Nov-10 16:42:00

Yup, I'm with everyone the glow is total bull. I have dreadful spots, which is very unusual for me and not just on my face but also my neck and back - chuffing lovely. Thank you preggers hormones. And my hair looks the same, not glossy and thick, but is breaking badly on one side (a lesser known pregnancy delight) so I keep having to get it cut shorter to even it up and I hate my hair when it's too short.

With you Frakkinup, if it wasn't for Laura M I'd be screwed.

sloathy Sun 21-Nov-10 13:20:16

This thread is brilliant! I too have been wondering where my glow is and when my dull brittle hair will become a flowing river of shiny locks. My skin is not too bad but I have developed a stubborn patch of dry flaky stuff around my nose. The 'burst of energy' one is supposed to get in the second trimester is also a boig fat lie.

SlightlyTubbyHali Mon 22-Nov-10 10:44:28

Oh god, when I was pregnant with DD2 I found a (fortunately very blonde) two inch long hair growing out of my chest.

Really, it made me feel fabulous. Isn't pregnancy beautiful? hmm

yellowflowers Mon 22-Nov-10 11:38:25

people have just started telling me at 37 weeks. Given I am covered in spots and all puffy I think what they mean is 'I want to say something nice but don;t know what so I will tell you that you are glowing'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: