Talk

Advanced search

Beta Blockers

(4 Posts)
ScarIettOHara Wed 17-Nov-10 00:02:33

I wonder if anyone knows about this...

I'm approx 6 weeks pregnant - first one

I take a very low dose of beta blockers (10mg) occasionally to control a tremor in my hands. I asked the doctor about these and she advised against taking them during the first 12 weeks although assured me that they were 'safe' in pregnancy.

I have a big presentation to do in a few days time and I'm getting very nervous about it - I'll be shaking like a leaf while I'm talking and think it is very obvious. I really want to take a beta blocker on the day but I'm worried... has anyone experienced anything similar?

Any advice appreciated...

Frolie Wed 17-Nov-10 14:47:20

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I was on Betablockers for migraines before becoming pregnant. I was advised by my GP and consultant that Betablockers were harmful in the first 12 weeks. Can you do some deep breathing exercises, relaxation/ focus thinking before your presentation to help with the hands instead. Or can you hide your hands from view, under the table etc...?

Good luck.

ScarIettOHara Wed 17-Nov-10 17:07:23

I'll have to think of something - hopefully I can stand behind the table and feel hidden!

Thank you for your suggestions

juliec26 Wed 17-Nov-10 19:40:18

I have an ectopic heart beat and have always taken betablockers when it gets bad - I had stopped taking them once i got pregnant, but my palpitations got worse (now 31 weeks) When I saw my cardiologist he said they were safe to take in pregnancy, but one study had shown can cause small babies - I would avoid until 12 weeks if you can.. but 10mg is a low does, mine is 40mg of propananal - I doubt 1 10mg tablet would really hurt, but I am not a doctor - good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now