Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Beta Blockers

(4 Posts)
ScarIettOHara Wed 17-Nov-10 00:02:33

I wonder if anyone knows about this...

I'm approx 6 weeks pregnant - first one

I take a very low dose of beta blockers (10mg) occasionally to control a tremor in my hands. I asked the doctor about these and she advised against taking them during the first 12 weeks although assured me that they were 'safe' in pregnancy.

I have a big presentation to do in a few days time and I'm getting very nervous about it - I'll be shaking like a leaf while I'm talking and think it is very obvious. I really want to take a beta blocker on the day but I'm worried... has anyone experienced anything similar?

Any advice appreciated...

Frolie Wed 17-Nov-10 14:47:20

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I was on Betablockers for migraines before becoming pregnant. I was advised by my GP and consultant that Betablockers were harmful in the first 12 weeks. Can you do some deep breathing exercises, relaxation/ focus thinking before your presentation to help with the hands instead. Or can you hide your hands from view, under the table etc...?

Good luck.

ScarIettOHara Wed 17-Nov-10 17:07:23

I'll have to think of something - hopefully I can stand behind the table and feel hidden!

Thank you for your suggestions

juliec26 Wed 17-Nov-10 19:40:18

I have an ectopic heart beat and have always taken betablockers when it gets bad - I had stopped taking them once i got pregnant, but my palpitations got worse (now 31 weeks) When I saw my cardiologist he said they were safe to take in pregnancy, but one study had shown can cause small babies - I would avoid until 12 weeks if you can.. but 10mg is a low does, mine is 40mg of propananal - I doubt 1 10mg tablet would really hurt, but I am not a doctor - good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: