Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

too short for maternity clothes

(17 Posts)
stegasaurus Mon 15-Nov-10 10:38:12

I'm only 5ft tall and can't find any maternity trousers that will be short enough for me. Next is the only shop where I have been able to buy petite range trousers that are just about short enough, but they don't do maternity trousers in petite length. Does anyone know where I can get some trousers without spending a fortune? I am not good enough at sewing to turn trousers up.

BabyRoosMum Mon 15-Nov-10 10:59:41

If you live anywhere near Huddersfield there is a mamas and papas outlet shop...i have a had a few pairs of work trousers (short fitting) from there that were £3 each...proper bargain!!

CalaLilly Mon 15-Nov-10 11:38:43

I got some petite M+P trousers too- in their sale though rather than the outlet. I'm also 5ft and find them ok (well as got as we can get- I find some petite ranges are still too long. Next is one of the worst!). I'm also wearing petite trousers in a larger size as my bump isn't huge yet.

There is always the option of hemming standrd length ones too- so long as they're not bootcut!

tattyteddy Mon 15-Nov-10 12:24:47

Hi stegasaurus

Next do petite maternity trousers online, but you can get them delivered to a store near you. I had to get some!

xxx

Floopy21 Mon 15-Nov-10 12:55:34

Mothercare do petite maternity clothes - their jeans were far too short for me at 5ft 4", so would prob be perfect for you. Online too (Think there's free delivery for orders over £30 at the mo)

trixie123 Mon 15-Nov-10 14:09:21

The mothercare ones are good. I had a moan at an assistant in Next along the lines of "Do short people not get pregnant then?" M&S do short length trousers and I bought some elastic waist grey work type ones that I wore the whole time with DS1. NOt maternity but did the job.

FloraPost Mon 15-Nov-10 17:11:42

I'm 5'1" and dorothy perkins maternity trousers are fine. They come in different lengths.

LisMcA Mon 15-Nov-10 18:20:22

I can add the 3rd speciality clothing range to my list of requirements, plus size. Short fat people aren't allowed to get pregnant, it's the law apparently (bitter, who, me?? )

I bought some "normal" length mat jeans from Next and got my gem of a mother to take proper hems up for me. She had to take of 6 inches!!! Think I may be shrinking.

I'm living in leggings and got a couple of pairs of flat knee high boots to get me through the winter.

gallicgirl Mon 15-Nov-10 18:38:35

Short people do get pregnant but they don't wear dresses angry

I've found there's more petite choice in American online stores but I haven't ordered from any in order to recommend one.

mejon Mon 15-Nov-10 19:20:39

Even Next and Mothercare short/petite ones are too long for me so I've hemmed mine with that wondaweb iron-on stuff.

Raahh Mon 15-Nov-10 19:30:23

i had to reply , as i have recently had dd2 (dc3) - and I am only 4ft 8. It does seem that you can be short/ or pregnant, but not both at the same time. i lived in 2 pairs of Next maternity combat trousers for the duration of my last pregnancy (they don't look so bad rolled up!).

I KNOW things can be altered (I have to do it all the time when not pregnant, after all)- but often maternity wear is so much more expensive than normal stuff, that i object to having to!!

And shock at 5ft 4 being considered petite!! There was a time when petite was leg length 27" (25.5" many moons ago at Next- that was perfect!) Now it is nearly always 29"- which used to be considered standardconfused

And i am short, not petitegrin, i really feel there is a difference!

<<rant over, sorry>>

Applemuncher Mon 15-Nov-10 19:30:33

I'm 5'2" and have the same problem. I just resigned myself that I pay £4.50 more for everything than tall people. (Price to have my trousers taken up by a tailor). Not fair is it?

SaorAlba Mon 15-Nov-10 19:37:52

I'm 5'1 and next's petite range of trousers tends to be slightly on the short side for me. I have an unbelievably short back.

Anyway, back on topic, I bought regular length work trousers from next and wonderwebbed them. I also bought jeans and roll them up. If I decide to get another pair of trousers then I'll order next short length ones online now that I know what size fits me best.

I was a bit miffed when I realised they only do regular, long and extra long in store though!!

LittleB Mon 15-Nov-10 21:18:52

I bought 3 pairs of next petite maternity jeans from e-bay. They are second hand but in v good condition, cost me between £5-£10 incl postage. Think you can get them new online, my local next doesn't stock any maternity clothes.

stegasaurus Mon 15-Nov-10 23:18:30

Thanks everyone. I had looked on the websites for both next and dorothy perkins and not found any, but obviously wasn't looking in the right place. Might try Mothercare as they have got buy 1 get 1 half price. It's good to have all these recommendations.

ClimberChick Tue 16-Nov-10 05:46:43

Sorry I turned all my mine up. It really don't too long (once you done two) especially if you don't care what they look like. The only ones that I liked were the next ones, hated all the mothercare clothes.

DancingCat Tue 16-Nov-10 07:24:46

I'm 4'11" and got some from mothercare which I now live in - black straight leg Product code: K1896 (don't know how to do a link, sorry). I've tried M&P, red herring, next etc and find they're all too big.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: