Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Where can I buy decent maternity jeans

(20 Posts)
BlingLoving Mon 15-Nov-10 10:07:33

I am desperate. My regular clothes are all still fine but my jeans, which tend to be lower cut, are unwearable. I am currently wearing a large stretchy pair from Next which are not flattering and won't last much longer.

But I can't find any. The few shops I've found jeans at are all straight or skinny legged which I'm not too excited about.

I don't want to buy from ebay as I've already worked out that for trousers I am not going to be my regular size. So I need to buy from a store I can easily return to.

Please help.

BlingLoving Mon 15-Nov-10 10:58:09

bump

DoodlingPomBear Mon 15-Nov-10 11:05:58

OK depending on how much you want to spend there are a couple of places that sell some lovely jeans - I bought mine early in pg (over the bump) and am still wearing them 12 weeks post as they are comfy and also mean I can wear them bf in public without exposing too much flesh if I want to wear a non bf top.

They are made by noppies store locator and I have these comfy! I don't think I paid what is here but you might see some instore and try them on etc. One of the good things is that unlike some of the cheaper versions you have buttons on the inside like on childrens clothes to expand and contract with you.

I know they are pricey but have seen them as a good investment as I have worn them for very nearly a year and don't have any problems with wearing them as non mat jeans either as you wouldn't really notice iyswim.

Hope that helps. And if you try them on tyou might find them cheaper on the web. Depends where you live but look at the store locator for local shops!

BeanInMyBelly Mon 15-Nov-10 11:09:05

I got a really nice pair on sale (£10) from Mamas and Papas - it sits under the bump and has stretch panels above the pockets. I also got a pair from Next that goes over the bump which i really don't like - feels really constricted and tight, and don't like the tightness under the 'over-the-bump' part. But the Mamas and Papas ones are so comfy, I'm practically living in them at the moment! I bought the same size that i was before and them seem to be fine, have room for if i get a bit bigger but are not baggy or tight.

Cyclebump Mon 15-Nov-10 11:12:48

They were £40 so I was hesitant but my DP insisted and bought me a pair of Gap maternity jeans that I LOVE. My friends are shocked when I tell them that they're maternity ones because hey just look like normal jeans. They're super comfy and have lots of stretch.

DoodlingPomBear Mon 15-Nov-10 11:22:26

Have to say the noppies aren't tight on the bump which is really nice, when you get a bit bigger the under the bump ones can sometimes feel like they are going to fall down, mind you that is the curse of maternity trousers!!

Always go with the size you were pre preg as they are designed for your expanding bump. Whichever you choose, having the expandalbe buttons in them is very helpful as you are likely to change size (diff parts of you grow and diff times grin) thoughout your pg which might make you want to change your jeans too as they can sometimes dig into your pelvis.

Gap jeans are really comfy and I have them as my back up pair iyswim (but then I am on 2nd dc and was only working pt so lived and now still do live in jeans!) but if I wear them twice they tend to get a bit bigger and result in falling down slightly because I can't get a belt on them.

thefurryone Mon 15-Nov-10 11:30:06

I'm also struggling with my existing jeans, they are low cut and as I can't wear a belt they just fall down as I seem to have been loosing weight around the hips. I bought a bump band which was £5 from topshop which I've been using instead of a belt and it's working ok so far.

BlingLoving Mon 15-Nov-10 11:37:08

thanks. will look at all these options.

BlingLoving Mon 15-Nov-10 11:40:42

The problem with my pre-pregnancy size is that I have always struggled for trousers. I have slim hips, legs and bum but unfortuately, a bit of a tummy (even when not pregnant). However, with maternity trousers, as the size part is not having to take my actual tummy into account, the few pairs I've tried on have all been way too big on the bum, hips and thighs while a size down fit more comfortably, but with still some "give".

The bump band thing is difficult - so far I've only tried on the ones with the band under. My instinct says as the bump gets bigger, that will be more comfortable but with a small bump, a band over will be better.

geekygiraffe Mon 15-Nov-10 11:51:55

GAP maternity jeans are great - and mine were a tenner in the sale. In PJs right now as they're the only thing that fits, and they're in the wash! (I work from home...)

icd Mon 15-Nov-10 12:10:33

How about Top Shop Maternity stretchy jeans? Should be perfect for the big belly and slim everything else

TallulahBelly14 Mon 15-Nov-10 13:16:40

I love my GAP maternity jeans, but just make sure to get them in a couple of sizes smaller than you normally would. For some reason their maternity sizing is really wonky!

Kiki84 Mon 15-Nov-10 13:55:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoEW Mon 15-Nov-10 14:12:09

I've just bought a pair from Gap and they are really decent. Mine are skinny but they do bootcut too and seem to have a good range. Also they work quite well if you don't have a big bump yet, I am only just out of my normal jeans and most maternity stuff I have tried looks huge. Agree with TallulahBelly though, sizing is bonkers, go a couple of sizes smaller than your usual - even taking into account the UK/US sizing.

diyqueen Mon 15-Nov-10 18:18:25

I got some boot cut over-the bump ones from New Look and they're great (and cheap) - really comfy and a flattering fit - from the waist down they just look like normal jeans. In the earlier days when the 'bump band' bit was too big I just rolled it down over the waistband which helped them stay up - may do this again in the later stages if the over bump bit gets too tight. I think the over-the bump ones are great in winter as they're so cosy smile

sjw21 Mon 15-Nov-10 18:59:48

I got a decent pair of jeans from New Look. Very reasonable price and a fairly good range compared to most high street shops at the moment. Everywhere I've been trying seems to have taken their Materinty stuff off the shop floor in exchange for Christmas products. Very annoying when you are trying to find clothes taht fit.

BikeRunSki Mon 15-Nov-10 19:02:51

Gap, or Seraphine if you can bear to part with the cash. Worth it though.

MrsMogwai Mon 15-Nov-10 20:00:56

I'm loving my boot cut maternity jeans from New Look. £16 a pair - bargain!

MissCKitty Mon 15-Nov-10 22:36:40

I have lived in my jeans (over the bump) from H&M. So so comfy, I love them x

midori1999 Mon 15-Nov-10 23:58:22

I got a pair of bootcut from Mothercare in my last pregnancy. They were great and I could wear them after for a bit too. They come right over the bump and have the buttony bits inside also, like childrens jeans. I think I'll get another pair from them this time, maybe boyfriend ones as I just want to slop about lately. blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: