Talk

Advanced search

40 wks can I ask to be induced....

(15 Posts)
bella8445 Mon 15-Nov-10 09:49:49

Hi everyone,
Im 40 wks today, no signs of labour starting... Have had spd for 5wks now and on Friday went to doctors due to back pain and was told my back was all twisted up due to the weight I was carrying. Advised to call midwife to get a special belt, but over the wkend the pain in my back has got worst its affecting my legs too. The pain is to much and i cried all day yesterday, went into meltdown. Can they induce me now.....or should I ask for a c-section as I dont think I can do labour pain, spd and back pain all in one, Im freaking out about giving birth now....dont know what to do.....

japhrimel Mon 15-Nov-10 10:30:13

Talk to your MW. At the very least they can sort you out with paracetamol and codeine (it's what they give for early labour anyway).

They won't induce unless it's really needed because it carries extra risks. And I'd say it's too late to go for an ELCS.

Have you not had physio for the SPD?

slimyak Mon 15-Nov-10 10:40:34

Can you ask you midwife to do a sweep, that might nudge things along. I think whether they induce or not is a local NHS Trust policy thing. I would bear in mind that induced labours can often be longer than natural ones and the recovery from a c section is longer than that of a natural birth.

Have a chat to your midwife about pain relief too. You don't have to go straight for the c section option to avoid excessive pain. Whatever happens they will start thinking about induction from now if you're 40 weeks so if that's the route you want, lay it on thick about the SPD and back pain and hopefully they won't make you wait. You never know your weekend backpain could be masking the start of labour anyway.

I do feel for you as I have fairly mild SPD at 30 weeks and I know it's only going to get worse. I found labour managable with DD1 as I could be quite active, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to wander arround and hula number 2 out quite so easily.

Wishing you a speedy birth asap. Try not to freak out and get the help you need.

Good luck.

buttonmoon78 Mon 15-Nov-10 12:36:05

Hi Bella

You can be induced for spd (I was at 38 wks - this was decided on at about 26 wks as I was in terrible pain).

See your midwife and ask about your options. I think it's unlikely at this stage that they'd offer you a section.

FWIW, my 3rd labour (the one in which I had spd & was induced) was by far the shortest and although it was v painful that was mainly due to the fact that ds was back to back!

Please make sure that you have spd marked in illuminated lights on each page of your notes. And that your birth partner knows exactly how far is far enough for you in terms of what you can cope with.

Good luck. If you want any more tips, just ask!

Dimi Mon 15-Nov-10 13:52:00

Bella..I am really sorry if this is going to upset you but I am going to spend the rest of my life making sure that what happened to me does not happen to anyone I know or I can help.
I lost my daughter 6 weeks ago during labour at 41wks+4days! I had a perfectly normal, low risk pregnancy...no complications. At my 40 week appointment I begged the midwife to nit make me go overdue as I had with my first pregnancy and the labour was hell after being induced 3 times.
They told me I had to wait til 41 weeks and then at that appt I was booked in for a week later! i begged for a c section as I didn't want to go through induction again.
Anyway, I happened to go into labour when I was 11 days overdue and had a very straightforward labour. It was quick, went in to hospital begging for an epidural but I was already 8cm dilated and no time so as I had gas and air, my waters broke, fully dilated and a few pushes later my beautiful Tallula was born...but she had stopped breathing and they couldn't get her heart rate up.

Please beg them for another scan if you are going to go overdue...please! You must insist they make sure baby is coping well...listening to heartbeat is only good for the time they are listening. You must also ask to test for group B strep as it's common but if undetected, can be fatal. They will tell you it's all unnecesary but don't take their word for it.
The post mortem has shown there was nothing wrong with Tallula, a healthy baby at just over 7 pounds. And nothing wrong with me! It is heartbreaking.
All the best and sorry if I am stressing you out but I will never trust another midwife or be bullied by the NHS. This happened at Kingston and they are meant to be one of the better maternity hospitals.

buttonmoon78 Mon 15-Nov-10 14:23:07

Dimi

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, my heart truly goes out to you.

There are hundreds of women who go into labour overdue each day who have perfectly healthy babies. I hope that one day you can fdin the strength to have another child.

Bella going 'overdue' is perfectly normal especially in a society where we measure all women the same from a date which actually has little to do with conception. Of more concern at the moment is how you're coping with your spd IMO.

japhrimel Mon 15-Nov-10 17:41:40

So sorry about your loss.

Research has shown that the risks of going overdue in an otherwise healthy pregnancy increase after 42 weeks. some people do unfortunately have tragic outcomes at any stage and if you have something like OC, it's different.

Rosebud05 Mon 15-Nov-10 17:58:41

I'm so sorry for your loss, Dimi; that's unbearable sad.

Bella, when's your next midwife appointment? You can also ask to see your consultant and put your case for induction. Otherwise, as japhrimel says, your GP should be able to offer you some more pain relief for the SPD.

I'd try to make a bit of a nuisance of myself (or as much as I could at 40 weeks and in pain), though hopefully it won't be necessary and you'll go into labour very soon.

Do you know what your hospital's induction policy is, btw? Most are due date plus 10 days, but it might be that they're not booked up this week and can fit you in.

hope all goes well.

bella8445 Tue 16-Nov-10 13:48:39

Hi all, thank you for your advice, Im so sorry for your lost Dimi.
I spoke to midwife and she told me to see my consultant, my appointment is tomorrow, I have to ask if I can have a belt and be seen by specilist, but it looks unlikely as its at least a two week waiting list. I will talk to them about the pain Im in and see what they say, I just hope he chooses to hurry up and come out this week.

japhrimel Tue 16-Nov-10 14:47:45

If you have an induction, you're more likely to need continuous monitoring and more likely to need further interventions. So it could actually be worse for the SPD as you would be restricted in what positions you can use and avoid.

ThatllDoPig Tue 16-Nov-10 15:00:03

Dimi thats so unbearably sad.
How can that be when there was nothing wrong? It seems so cruel that they can't give you any indication of what went wrong and why your darling one didn't make it.
Bella Try not to let this get to you. It is normal for first babies to be late and it is very rare for something so heartbreaking to happen. Talk to your midwife and trust your instints.

bella8445 Wed 17-Nov-10 05:28:33

Hi just to let you know that this is not my first child but has been a while so theres a gap, my first came early.
Well its just gone 5am I have been up most the night not able to sleep due to very painful period like pain that are coming about every 5 mins.....I have had no show and waters havent broken....I see consultant at 10am so Im trying to hold out, see if this is real or just false labour....I dont want to call hospital and it be a waste of time...oh well we'll see....

LittleB Wed 17-Nov-10 09:36:21

Hi, i hope this is it for you and you don't have to be induced. I've had spd&pgp diagnosed at 20wks (34wks now) and i'm having regular physio which moves my pelvis back into position and really helps, also have a support belt which helps when moving about, can't wear it at night though. At night I sleep on a folded duvet under my sheet, pillow between my knees and under my bump and one in the small of my back. If you're not in labour yet you could see if you can get an emergency physio appt, I'm sure it will help. The good news is the spd will go very soon after birth.
I was induced with my daughter and found it more painful once they induced me(they needed to speed up labour as my aters had gone a couple of days before and contractions were irregular), I'm really hoping to avoid induction this time as my spd is worse and will make it more painful. I found using a birthing ball/gym ball really helped too, I've got one at home this time. During labour make sure they know about your spd and try to avoid spreading your knees too far apart.
Hope this helps.

ThatllDoPig Wed 17-Nov-10 13:37:54

Sounds hopeful Bella! Hope things are happening for you! Good luck, let us know.x

bella8445 Thu 09-Dec-10 22:27:45

Hi did not need to be induced went in labour on the 17th, 18th was on labour ward on 19th had son by emergency c section....hated labour and the c section. Baby is good, miss being pregnant, spd went straight away now dealing with the c section...hope all you ladies are well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now