Talk

Advanced search

Anyone due to have a cervical suture?

(5 Posts)
sum04 Sun 14-Nov-10 16:17:01

My daughter was born at 29 weeks and i was then diagnosed with a short cervix.
So when i got pregnant with my son, i had a cervical suture put in place.
All went well and i gave birth to him the morning after the doctor took the stitch out at 37 weeks.
I am pregnant again and im due for a stitch on thursday, but im starting to really panic about it and just wondered if anyone else was in the same situation as me??

Teleaddict Sun 14-Nov-10 16:52:19

Hi Sum04, I had a stitch put in 2 weeks ago after losing my DS at 20 weeks and safely delivering my DD at 38 weeks, who is now 21 months. I too was very anxious but sure I will be until I hold my baby!
All the best for this week x

Sparklies Sun 14-Nov-10 17:33:02

Sort of. I had a rescue cerclage at 18w3d with DC2 (3mm cervix, 1.5cm dilated) and she held on until 35w5d.

Unfortunately the cerclage tore my cervix during a PTL episode at 34 weeks, and the tear was really high up. So this time out I got a transabdominal suture at 13w1d (it can also be done pre-pregnancy) which effectively replaces the cervix altogether and stays in permanently, meaning c-sections forever. It is fitted in an operation similar to a c-section and not many doctors do it as it is considered overkill unless you've had a failure of a TVC (transvaginal cerclage). Fortunately the doctor I found is very experienced and an advocate for it with a fantastic success rate and didn't expect me to lose a baby first with a TVC to "prove" I needed it, thank goodness. Turns out we made the right decision as he said he would have had difficulty fitting a TVC with what was there.

Most people do absolutely fantastic with a regular transvaginal cerclage. If I hadn't torn with my last, I'd have been more than happy to have another one. The risks are minimal, and the benefits immense as you know from your son!

I know how scary it is (I was a mess before my TAC a few weeks ago, surgery during pregnancy is always scary) but you will be fine, I am sure :-)

Hope it all goes great!!

sum04 Sun 14-Nov-10 18:05:27

Thanks, i wasn't worried at all untill yesterday when my partner turned round and reminded me that the procedure wasn't 100% and that i shouldn't get too excited yet, then it just freaked me out and i started to google and totally scared myself even more.
I know i had the stitch in the past and all went well, its just we have been trying for 2 years for this baby, as i have PCOS and i had a molar pregnancy last year, so i really really really want this to work!!!

Sparklies Sun 14-Nov-10 22:13:12

There are never guarantees in pregnancy, just likelihoods! The risks from a regular TVC (I've heard 1% quoted) are probably akin to getting an amnio/CVS and people seem to have them all the time with no problems. In fact to reach your stage of pregnancy you've already overcome the 1 in 4 chance of miscarrying. The odds are drastically in your favour!

That's not to say you won't be breathing a massive, massive sigh of relief when it's all over though wink - believe me, I know!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now