Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone due to have a cervical suture?

(5 Posts)
sum04 Sun 14-Nov-10 16:17:01

My daughter was born at 29 weeks and i was then diagnosed with a short cervix.
So when i got pregnant with my son, i had a cervical suture put in place.
All went well and i gave birth to him the morning after the doctor took the stitch out at 37 weeks.
I am pregnant again and im due for a stitch on thursday, but im starting to really panic about it and just wondered if anyone else was in the same situation as me??

Teleaddict Sun 14-Nov-10 16:52:19

Hi Sum04, I had a stitch put in 2 weeks ago after losing my DS at 20 weeks and safely delivering my DD at 38 weeks, who is now 21 months. I too was very anxious but sure I will be until I hold my baby!
All the best for this week x

Sparklies Sun 14-Nov-10 17:33:02

Sort of. I had a rescue cerclage at 18w3d with DC2 (3mm cervix, 1.5cm dilated) and she held on until 35w5d.

Unfortunately the cerclage tore my cervix during a PTL episode at 34 weeks, and the tear was really high up. So this time out I got a transabdominal suture at 13w1d (it can also be done pre-pregnancy) which effectively replaces the cervix altogether and stays in permanently, meaning c-sections forever. It is fitted in an operation similar to a c-section and not many doctors do it as it is considered overkill unless you've had a failure of a TVC (transvaginal cerclage). Fortunately the doctor I found is very experienced and an advocate for it with a fantastic success rate and didn't expect me to lose a baby first with a TVC to "prove" I needed it, thank goodness. Turns out we made the right decision as he said he would have had difficulty fitting a TVC with what was there.

Most people do absolutely fantastic with a regular transvaginal cerclage. If I hadn't torn with my last, I'd have been more than happy to have another one. The risks are minimal, and the benefits immense as you know from your son!

I know how scary it is (I was a mess before my TAC a few weeks ago, surgery during pregnancy is always scary) but you will be fine, I am sure :-)

Hope it all goes great!!

sum04 Sun 14-Nov-10 18:05:27

Thanks, i wasn't worried at all untill yesterday when my partner turned round and reminded me that the procedure wasn't 100% and that i shouldn't get too excited yet, then it just freaked me out and i started to google and totally scared myself even more.
I know i had the stitch in the past and all went well, its just we have been trying for 2 years for this baby, as i have PCOS and i had a molar pregnancy last year, so i really really really want this to work!!!

Sparklies Sun 14-Nov-10 22:13:12

There are never guarantees in pregnancy, just likelihoods! The risks from a regular TVC (I've heard 1% quoted) are probably akin to getting an amnio/CVS and people seem to have them all the time with no problems. In fact to reach your stage of pregnancy you've already overcome the 1 in 4 chance of miscarrying. The odds are drastically in your favour!

That's not to say you won't be breathing a massive, massive sigh of relief when it's all over though wink - believe me, I know!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: