Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

water birth anyone.

(9 Posts)
lilmamma Sun 14-Nov-10 10:28:43

I did the hospital tour with my dd,she is expecting her first baby in 6 weeks.

she likes the idea of a water birth,the pool looked lovely,they dim the lights an even have a disco ball and music of your choice.

There was a ball,and matress on the floor and a weird looking birth stool,like a toilet seat on mini legs.

Was just wondering if anyone had given birth in the pool,or laboured in the pool and then got out to give birth,and what your experiences were.

Iam going in with her and her partner for the birth,but not really sure what to expect,as i had my 4 in bed..

It does look really calming and relaxing..

CrazyPlateLady Sun 14-Nov-10 12:06:52

Make sure she has a back up plan. If the pool is being used when she is in labour, she won't be able to use it so she will need to have an alternative plan in place.

I want a water birth this time but as there is 1 pool for 12 labour rooms, I'm not holding my breath!

belgo Sun 14-Nov-10 12:13:08

Tell her to go for it, but of course even the best laid plans can change during labour.

Would she consider hiring a birthing pool and having a home birth? This is what I did as water births were not available at the hospital.

Even though I've had two home water births, I did not find the water to help with the pain. It did help with my mobility during labour, and possibly relaxed me which sped up the contractions. I have a couple of friends who really hated the water during labour for this reason.

Eddie123 Sun 14-Nov-10 14:42:11

I loved being in the water during my labour and found it very calming and relaxing especially during the first few hours of 'established labour'.I think it also helped with the pain until I was about 6cm dilated. After about 5 hours of being in the water I started to feel worn out with the contractions and decided to have some pethadine. At this point I wasn't allowed to stay in the water as it was their policy (due to drowsiness caused by the drug), which I was a bit disappointed about. I'm due again in March and would really like to give birth this time in the water as I think it's got the potential to be a great experience (well, as great a giving birth can be!).

FessaEst Sun 14-Nov-10 16:14:04

I gave birth in water and it was fab, really relieved the pain. I also liked the privacy it gave me - a little ring around me iyswim, and loved that I caught DD and brought her up for a cuddle.

lilmamma Sun 14-Nov-10 20:54:11

Thanks for your replies.

rubyslippers Sun 14-Nov-10 20:57:01

I loved my waterbirth

DD was born under water - was a very calm and quick experience

I used gas and air as well

Definitely helped keep me mobile during labour which helped speed things up

Would highly recommend it

LadyOfTheFlowers Sun 14-Nov-10 20:59:44

Have given birth 4 times, had 2 in pool at hosp.
2005 and 2006 births in pool, 2008 and 2010 births I couldn't due to staff shortages.

Both waterbirths were good, nice and private, relaxed affairs, I sort of called the shots more with the WBs. I felt more in control.
DH watched both WBs but couldn't watch bed births as they were too 'graphic'.

Violet5 Sun 14-Nov-10 21:07:39

My 4th was a water birth (wanted my 5th to be too but didn't get to hospital in time).

Water birth was the best experience, my son was born around 4am in the pool and the room was just lit by tea lights, it was lovely.

I'm hoping this baby will be a water birth too smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: