Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone else with fibroids and getting pain?

(6 Posts)
mejon Sat 13-Nov-10 21:09:22

I'm 30 weeks and have 2 fibroids. At 28 weeks one was 6cms and the other a little smaller. For the last few days I've been experiencing agonising pain (which I presume is related to the fibroids) when sneezing, coughing or blowing my nose across the middle of my bump which I can only describe as being like my muscles are being ripped apart (baby is currently breech with head up by my ribs and feet straight down). It is also quite uncomfortable generally too and trying to turn over in bed last night was very painful. I've taken paracetamol but its done nothing to help really. I saw the MW yesterday for a general appointment and did mention it but she didn't really offer any advice beyond saying it was fairly normal with fibroids. I had them in my previous pregnancy with DD1 5 years ago but I didn't have any problems with them then and they were bigger then too. I had similar pain a few weeks ago around my belly button but it went after a few days so I'm hoping this too will be a short lived thing.

Has anyone else experienced similar pains? Did it continue and did you get any medical help (e.g stronger painkillers)?

Applemuncher Sat 13-Nov-10 22:26:12

I can't really help I'm afraid - I have one large fibroid which is 13cms circular. I saw a consultant last week (I'm only 21 weeks) and he did say that I could become quite uncomfortable later on (which is what I'm assuming you're experiencing).

He's asked me to go back in at 36 weeks and said that if I get too uncomfortable then I might be induced or have a C section.

If you're worried in any way then give youe midwife another call or ask if you can pop in to hospital.

The fibroids could be pressing against something which might be causing the pain.

Let us know how you get on.

mejon Sat 13-Nov-10 23:00:42

Thanks Applemuncher - that's a whopper you've got there. One of mine was 12cms in my earlier pg but I was fine with that one so hopefully you'll have no trouble with yours.

I'm going to see how I get on tomorrow but if it is no better I'll call the MW on Monday to see if there's anything they can offer me.

mejon Mon 15-Nov-10 19:04:53

Just a quick update. The pain was no better so I called the community midwife this morning who told me to pop into the hospital to be checked. Spent almost 6 hours there as they wanted to check I wasn't actually going into labour shock. I'm apparently having little tightenings but thankfully nothing else is happening yet. Consultant seemed to think that the pain was down to degeneration of the fibroids and I was eventually allowed home with a presciption for co-codamol. I'm a bit alarmed that you can become addicted to them in the space of 3 days but if they do the trick for the time being I'm willing to give them a try. I'm having another routine scan next week so will see if things have improved/changed.

Applemuncher Mon 15-Nov-10 19:28:27

Glad to hear you got some advice, I heard it can be really painful when a fibroid degenerates. I've taken co-codamol before with no problems at all (only over the counter strength) but I'm sure the hospital will monitor you well.

Let us know how it goes at your next scan, you're on the home straight now. smile

mejon Mon 15-Nov-10 20:24:29

Thanks. Hope yours continues to be trouble-free smile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: