Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Having amnio and am so scared

(19 Posts)
Esme11 Fri 12-Nov-10 14:20:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pipoca Fri 12-Nov-10 14:34:25

Hi Esme,

I'm having an amnio on 1st Dec after odds of 1 in 68. NT was good at 1.6mm and nasal bone seen and baby v active so all good indicators of a healthy baby but bloods wer HcG 2.75 (high) and PAPP-A 0.54 (low) putting me at "high risk". I'm in Spain and going to have the amnio privately as otherwise the wait is 4 wks for results (private uses FISH results, ready in 72 hrs). Mc rate has been quoted to me of less than 1% which is lower than the mc rate generally for pg women at that stage of pg. Been told to have complete rest for 2 days afterwards.
Try not to be nervous about the test, they do so many these days, it's not as risky as it was.

xx

Cyclebump Fri 12-Nov-10 16:39:58

I have no personal experience but a friend had an amnio for the same reasons and at about the same stage two years ago.

Her DH took charge of their DD1 for the day and she went alone. She didn't tell anyone at the time and only told me about it afterwards.

She said the procedure was uncomfortable and it was quite painful but the person doing it was very understanding and she asked for and was given a mw to hold her hand while it took place.

She had to rest for a day or so and wasn't able to pick up DD1 (she was about two at the time) for a few days.

The results came back clear and she had a successful VBAC a few months later in which a healthy and gorgeous DD2 arrived.

She said it was the most stressful thing she had ever done but has never regretted her decision.

I hope this helps xx

Esme11 Fri 12-Nov-10 17:12:32

loujay Fri 12-Nov-10 17:18:57

Hi esme,
I had results of 1 in 64 when pregnant with DD (7 years ago)........the amnio was uncomfortable, but there seemed to be so many people in the room ( me, DH, consultant, MW and scan technician) that i just ignored what was going on and had random chats with people.
Yes it is uncomfortable, but the people who are there will understand your nervousness andI'm sure go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.
Take care of yourself and try not to worry too much xx
PS - DD was fine

nancydrewrocked Fri 12-Nov-10 17:22:44

Hi

I have had two CVS which is a very similar, if not slightly more risky procedure. In terms of side effects from the procedure I had very little. The first one (different pregnancies) was uncomfortable at the time and left an impressive bruise but no spotting/discharge cramping. The second one was no more "complicated" (in terms of discomfort/time) than a blood test - physically very straight forward indeed.

Emotionally it was very different. I had my most recent CVS in August and it was terrifying and waiting for the results was horrendous. I don't think you can avoid those feelings. All you can do is tell yourself that you have a 99.5% chance that your baby doesn't have Downs - those are great odds.

Talking to Arc may be of help they are very good and it may help to clarify your thoughts as you do seem a little unsure as the best way to proceed.

good luck.

Esme11 Fri 12-Nov-10 17:27:57

poppyknot Fri 12-Nov-10 17:56:02

I had amnios for both DDs. The first one came after a triple blood test where I think the chance I got was 1 in 120. We had the blood tests as part of the booking procedure and did not really think ahead. We were told that only if there was a 'negative' result would we hear and that this would be within three weeks.

Three weeks plus one day later (a Saturday so not able to phone anyone) we got the letter and had a distressing and worrying weekend. We decided to go ahead with the amnio once we had seen the genetic counsellor but really 'just to know' as we felt by that stage we were on a path where there would be doubts until the end of the pregnancy. We paid for quicker results (a wait of a few days rather than three weeks or so as again the seeds of doubt made live stand still.

With DD2 we went straight for the amnio as I was 38 and could request one - the waiting for bloods results was too unbearable now that we knew the procedure.

Both amnios were quite painless if a bit uncomfortable and I can't remember any after effects. Before the first one we read extensively about the procedure and the risks but I felt much calmer the second time.

The 'odds' we are given are often the first time you have to deal with a possibly life-changing decision made on the basis of understading odds. Suddenly a 1 in 120 chance seems very likely although in other spheres it would be an unlikely chance..........

I understand your feelings and they are quite normal although because they are so personal at the time they seem solitary.

I totally remember the complete feeling of the need to know.

Good luck.

Esme11 Fri 12-Nov-10 18:43:30

happycamel Fri 12-Nov-10 18:58:35

Hi, everyone has different levels of chemicals in their blood at different times.

The odds you have been given are 1 in 160. That means that 159 women will have the same result as you but their baby won't have Downs, one will. If 160 people answer your question "has any one else had poor blood results but everything turned out okay" 159 would answer, "yes, fine".

So you don't need to clutch at straws. The vast vast majority of people with your result DON'T have a Down's baby. In fact, as you've seen others have worse results (ie 1 in 64 or 68 chance) and they were fine.

I'm sorry to labour the point but I really think you'vre ignoring the statistical information they've given you and decided "high risk" means "almost guaranteed".

I know its emotional and worrying but I think you need to stop googlng and calm down! Just deal with things one step at a time. If the results scare you that much then maybe don't have the test. After all there's lots of disabilities your baby might have that can't be tested for and you'll live in blissful ignorance until its born or develops them later.

Good luck, keep smiling, stay positive and forgive me for being harsh - its just seems to me that however many people try and reassure you with their own experience you're determined to think the worst!

Esme11 Fri 12-Nov-10 19:26:37

jaffacakeaddict Fri 12-Nov-10 19:33:35

Hi I had an amnio 6 years ago but don't imagine the procedure has changed too much since. It wasn't as sore or uncomfortable as I'd expected. My tummy did feel a bit sore / bruised afterwards. I wasn't wearing maternity clothes at that point but wished I had - my tummy felt as though it could have done with an elasticated waistband.

jobobpip08 Fri 12-Nov-10 20:45:50

Hi Esme I chose to have an amnio this year as my results came back 1:25 for DS3. 6 years ago for DS1 we had 1:20 (he was fine) and I went through what you are going through - panic!

This time I really tried to put it into an optimistic perspective and thought to myself 'well really its 24:25 for me to have a healthy baby'. Although I was nervous on the day, everything was fine. I took it very easy for the next 2 days and fairly easy for the next 3 weeks and had no problems whatsoever. Good luck x

p.s. the internet is the devil's playground! Stay away!

Esme11 Sun 14-Nov-10 07:41:50

lilmamma Sun 14-Nov-10 10:09:56

goodluck for tomorrow.I had an amnio 12 years ago,it wasnt what i expected and not painful at all,i had a scan and while they scanned the position of the baby,the needle went in,it felt like someone giving my belly a quick pinch,and then nothing,no pain, i could watch the needle going in,on the scan,but then turned and chatted to the nurse holding my hand,my hubby came in and i think 2 or 3 other medical people in the room,he showed me the small pot of like cloudy liquid he had got.

The nurse commented on how calm i was..after i went home and stayed in bed for 2 days,no reason i just felt like i wanted to,got very slight mild period type pain,but nothing bad,after 2 days got up and carried on as usual..results came about 2 weeks later and all was fine,i was 35 at the time and this was baby no4,he was 10 days overdue and weighed 8lb 10oz...

good luck for tomorrow .

jobobpip08 Sun 14-Nov-10 19:17:50

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you got on x

Esme11 Fri 19-Nov-10 09:52:32

jobobpip08 Fri 19-Nov-10 12:57:15

Hi esme great news, just take it easy for a few more weeks (nothing mad like lifting really heavy things) - glad you're hospital were sympathetic to your concerns. Have a very boring rest of your pregnancy! x

jobobpip08 Fri 19-Nov-10 12:57:41

you're - shoot me! YOUR

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: