Talk

Advanced search

Thermometers -advice pls

(7 Posts)
Kiki84 Fri 12-Nov-10 12:30:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

discobeaver Fri 12-Nov-10 13:00:42

I've got a digi ear one, brand name Omron. It's great.

A few years ago I asked a doctor friend your question, and he shrugged and said "well, you know, you'll be able to tell if they're hot with the back of your hand or by looking at them"

So who knows.

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 12-Nov-10 13:01:10

I bought a cheapo room thermometer from Babies 'r' us that matched DDs sleeping bags etc, (think they come free with original Grobags). Think I've looked at it about once! It would have to be v. cold or v. hot to be out of the acceptable temp range and I'm working on the assumption that the rest of the people in the house would also feel v. hot or cold therefore would know to dress baby appropriately.

Think an ear thermometer is best for babies as holding something under their arm or even the forehead ones is almost impossible on a squirming baby. However I was really suprised by how expensive they are, sometimes on offer in Boots though (and I'm sure elsewhere just haven't looked) so worth keeping an eye out.

kitten30 Fri 12-Nov-10 13:01:38

I bought an 'egg' thermometer for the babys room as it also acts like a night light. Try googling 'egg thermometer' or grow egg thermometer

discobeaver Fri 12-Nov-10 13:01:43

Not an ear one, a mouth one. Sorry. But my kids aren't babies so an ear one is probably better for teenies.

pinkpeony Fri 12-Nov-10 13:32:43

I got 2 - one to measure baby's temp in ear (Braun I think?) and second to measure bath water temp (also measures room temp) - discovered early on that water temp needed to be at least 38 degrees or DS would start screaming in his bath. Got a bit better as he got older, but still use the bath thermometer (he is 18 mths now) when I run the bath. Have BT baby monitor that shows room temp anyway so never used a room temp thermometer otherwise.

GruffalosGirl Fri 12-Nov-10 14:11:38

We've got an ear one - we got the babies r us one but it kept giving false readings so got the expensive braun one - it's really expensive and you have to buy expensive refils for the cover but our little one has had to be repeatedly rushed to the walk in centre with v. high temps before (he's just one of those babies that's temps shoot up) so for us it's been worth it. Also got a bath one that I still use now he's nearly 2, and one on the monitor for the room temp, but I was really paranoid about the room temp because of SIDS and still check it constantly. It probably depends on how relaxed about these things you are as to what you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now