Talk

Advanced search

aged 40 and recommended induction early?

(5 Posts)
mamacorner Thu 11-Nov-10 23:26:23

Just wandering if any other mums-to-be aged 40 or over have experience of induction at 40weeks.
I had a routine appointment with consultant, at which the Dr recommended a sweep at 39+2 followed by induction at 40 weeks, she seemed to think to go overdue at my age increased risk of placental problems.
I've not read or heard of anyone else in this situation, and my midwife sort of raised her eyes to heaven and implied this was not really neccessary, and said that I should refuse if I don't feel ready.
I'm quite happy to go with the safest option for delivery BUT as both previous DC's were late arriving and I have so far had a trouble free pregnancy (now 27w), don't want to jump the gun ( so to speak!) if it's not absolutley neccessary.
Anyone had any experience of this, is this normal practice for mature mums?.

solo Thu 11-Nov-10 23:33:53

I was almost 43 when I had Dd in 2006 and I went to 41 weeks. Induction was never discussed except that an appointment was made when I went past 40 weeks to be seen at 41 weeks.
I can't see why they'd induce you at your due time without any health problems.

FWIW, I'd have refused induction even at 42 weeks.

I hope you get what you want and a happy and health new baby.

EldritchCleavage Thu 11-Nov-10 23:44:51

What you describe is the policy at Queen Charlotte's in London. I was cross because they put in my notes I would be induced at 38-9 weeks, and I reminded them they'd jolly well have to ask me, actually.
Their policy is more cautious than current NICE guidelines and not followed at most other hospitals, which isn't to say it's necessarily wrong.
I refused but ended up being induced for other reasons anyway at 39+2.

Southsearocks Fri 12-Nov-10 18:50:12

At our first meeting my midwife told me she won't allow me to go over my due date, and when I asked why she said there is an increased risk of still birth in older mums (I'm 40). She mentioned a sweep too. I don't know what the evidence is for this but will go with what she recommends I expect.

BunnyBaby Fri 12-Nov-10 19:38:56

A lady on one of my threads lost her baby at 41+4 and was over 40, though not aware of reason why, but could see if they think this is likely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now