Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Amoxicillin

(10 Posts)
Coffeeandchocolate Thu 11-Nov-10 15:21:34

I am 24 + 4 and have just been prescribed Amoxicillin by my dentist, for a nasty tooth infection. Having lost a baby before, at 22 weeks, I am worried sick that this might affect the baby, however I can’t really not take the antibiotics, as the infection might get worse in the 4 months I have left until my EDD. I’ve done some research and Amoxicillin seems to be safe in pregnancy, but I’m a paranoid wreck and worried about everything, so I was wondering if any of you ladies have any experience with antibiotics in pregnancy?

TIA

Sparklies Thu 11-Nov-10 15:27:27

Most antibiotics are safe, and penicillin-based ones (like amoxicillin) are the safest of all :-)

I'm on super doses of two antibiotics right now at 14 weeks following surgery.. it's fine!

I'm sorry to hear of your loss :-(

hazchem Thu 11-Nov-10 15:28:10

It's fine. I also had to take some very early in my pregnancy abotu 10 weeks and the doctor confirmed it was safe to take. you can always consult your GP if you want also.

Coffeeandchocolate Thu 11-Nov-10 15:38:15

Thank you, and speedy recovery Sparklies! My rational brain (what's left of it) knows I shouldn't worry so much, but rational is the last thing I am these days/months...

mummytime Thu 11-Nov-10 15:49:17

Its why they prescribe this because it is safe. Of course we spent the whole last pregnancy desperate that I didn't get an abcess again as I am now allergic (and it would involve Doctors/hospital for antibiotics in pregnancy now).

Also you want the infection cleared as this can affect the pregnancy if neglected.

Good luck!

midori1999 Thu 11-Nov-10 17:20:25

I was prescribed amoxycillin, amongst a host of other antibiotics, in my last pregnancy by my consultant. They are very safe in pregnancy.

I understand why you are so worried though, I am so sorry for the loss of your baby I hope you are coping OK.

me23 Thu 11-Nov-10 17:37:35

Hi Im a student mw amoxicillin is prescribed all the time in pregnancy in fact a lot of antibiotics are, please don't worry I've actually been prescribed them today for a UTI am 21 weeks pregnant.

sam26oscar Thu 11-Nov-10 17:41:27

Snap grin was prescribed amoxycillin last week for UTI, then had dentist next day for tooth ache and she was going to prescribe it for me then too, so luckily had one dose of antibiotics for 2 infections!! baby moving and grooving like a good'un, am 24weeks!!

LoopyLoops Thu 11-Nov-10 18:44:59

I've been prescribed it twice in 4 weeks ((and am pregnant). Don't worry.

Coffeeandchocolate Thu 11-Nov-10 20:32:25

Thank you so much ladies, this is very reassuring.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: