Talk

Advanced search

Height of fundus, how accurate is this?

(5 Posts)
mrsbigw Thu 11-Nov-10 12:34:28

Just got back from my 2nd MW appt, according to dates of LMP I should be 11 weeks today.
However I asked my lovely MW if she would check fundus height as I have been very aware of how high my uterus feels already compared to previous babies & I am wondering if my dates are wrong (scan booked for 2 wks time & I am impatient!) more so as the nausea feelings have subsided slightly & I have been getting heartburn this week which I don't usually get so soon.
Anyway she said height of fundus measures at 14 wks & she also managed to find a heartbeat which was a lovely bonus!
This is my 4th baby so I am aware that people usually show earlier but I have always been spot on with my others & have never had a bump so soon.
Any thoughts or superior knowledge re fundus height welcome thanks!

japhrimel Thu 11-Nov-10 13:37:24

Afaik the margin of error is usually +/- 2cm, but it's very dependent on the person measuring and circumstances.

I assume you're not having the nuchal test? If you were planning on having this, I'd ask asap for an earlier scan.

mrsbigw Thu 11-Nov-10 13:43:04

Thanks Japhrimel, no I'm not having the nuchal, I'm just curious as to how far along babs actually is. Pg really is such a waiting game & I am a bit crap at waiting patiently!

Tidey Thu 11-Nov-10 13:46:41

I'm in no way an expert, but it wasn't very reliable in my second pregnancy. I measured quite a lot bigger than I 'should' have, and was told DD would probably be 10lb. She was nearly two weeks late and still only weighed 8lb 1.

craftynclothy Thu 11-Nov-10 13:49:15

I thought the fundal height thing (cm=weeks) only applied from 20 weeks. Even then it's not particularly accurate as it depends on the baby's position and a variety of other factors.

FWIW my independent midwife never used it.

I've also had very different shapes at that stage. With dd1 I was in maternity clothes at 9 weeks and many people asked if I was expecting twins shock, with dd2 she was so low in my pelvis that the sonographer struggled to get her measurements at the 20 week scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now