Talk

Advanced search

This feeling movement lark....

(11 Posts)
Katietatie123 Thu 11-Nov-10 08:36:13

So, I'm 18+2 and besieged by questions from friends, colleagues and complete strangers asking if I've felt the baby move yet. To be brutally honest, I don't know!

I've read all of the stuff about fluttering and butterflies, but I don't think I've had anything like that. What I have felt is almost a gentle pushing from the inside, almost like a faint muscle spasm. It is always towards the right hand side and at about belly button height. Anyone else had similar? Or shall I just put it down to wind....?

Tarlia Thu 11-Nov-10 09:08:39

I wasn't certain I felt baby until 20 weeks, from what you describe it sounds like you are indeed feeling him/her. My early movements were always on my right low and often on my bladder. Ever suddenly need a wee, then just as suddenly stop needing it? That was my first experience, though I didn't know until s/he got stronger, and then I had a weird dropping feeling.

Hth

Deliaskis Thu 11-Nov-10 09:34:30

I was starting to feel movements around 16-17 weeks, but wasn't totally sure that's what it was, and when the mw at 16 week apt asked I said I didn't think I had.

To me, the first movements honestly felt like they could have been just gas, but now I know what they are, and they're stronger, they do feel like muscle spasms. DH was trying to feel them the other day and was expecting a definite 'kick', but really it doesn't feel like that, or at least not early on, you just feel there has been some kind of movement, and muscle spasm or 'twitch' was the closest I could describe it to DH. At that point, he totally got it and realised he had been feeling them on my tummy for a few weeks but didn't realise that was what it would feel like.

I'm not sure I ever really felt the fluttering thing, although again I might just not have realised that was what it was.

D

thefurryone Thu 11-Nov-10 09:41:56

I'm 16 weeks and think I may have felt something the other night that was either a baby or ahem a digestive movement. It wasn't fluttering though, but I really don't know how to describe what it was.

I'm also convinced that it's head must be to the left as I can feel a hard lump on that side but not on the other, but this is my first time so have no way of knowing whether I'm right.

sloathy Tue 16-Nov-10 20:08:33

I'm just 17 weeks and think I felt something over the weekend but not sure. I was expecting the fluttering that everyone tells you about but what I felt was more like being lightly tickled from the inside or a tiny vibration. All low down on my left hand side which I have assumed is where the legs might be? But also having digestive issues so who knows! My sister who has two Dc (this is my first) says it may be a bit early to feel it for sure - probably more likely around 20 - 22 weeks.

tlise Wed 24-Nov-10 18:09:44

mine doesn't move a lot...mainly if I am on the bus. Although I tried to get him moving while sat on the loo yesterday, he responded by kicking my bladder lol.

Rocklover Wed 24-Nov-10 19:02:48

I never had flutterings, but I did get exactly what you are feeling.

It does feel alot more like gentle prods or pushes when you first start noticing movement. It is JUST like a small muscle spasms.

I would say you are definitely feeling your baby.

LittleMilla Wed 24-Nov-10 20:47:04

Hello Katietatie I am now 18+3 and for the last couple of weeks I have had what feels like wind/muscle spasm/twitch for a couple of weeks. I am literally FULL of wind in the evening and usually find that once I feel what I think is baby, i'll inevitabely gufff! blush. So I am in the same boat, just not convinced.

Just had a doppler delivered and haven't found the HB yet. Not worried as I heard it last week, but now off to google how I am meant to do it....!

smoggii Wed 24-Nov-10 20:55:21

I wasn't sure if i was feeling anything then after the 20 week scan they gave her a good prod and i started feeling her everyday from the day after.

1Catherine1 Wed 24-Nov-10 21:23:10

I'm with everyone else on this one... I kept wondering what "flutters" felt like and at 23 weeks I still wonder what that word actually means. My first baby movements were more like little prods from the inside that were very minor and easy to miss. Now that is how it usually feels but occasionally it feels like bubbles inside - this tends to be mainly when I'm squashing her though. I have a tendency to lean forward while working, I guess it must get rather cramped in there then but she soon reminds me I'm making her uncomfortable.

cupcakebakerer Wed 24-Nov-10 21:37:29

I'm in exactly the same situation - and in fact posted on it the other day. I'm 18 + 4 and have not had any of this 'butterflies' or 'fluttering' lark that EVERYONE I ask describes the feeling as. I've had a few 'was it wasn't it' prods like you describe - but could def be the digestion process! Asked a friend the other day and she reckons she felt hers from 12 weeks (dubious). I have ananterior placenta (at the front) which apparently stops you feeling bub until later on - do you know where yours is?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now