Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I am going to be SO fat after this pregnancy.

(24 Posts)
TotorosOcarina Wed 10-Nov-10 20:23:18

I was fat before it! grin

But I can't eat properly, I have to eat what I fancy, anything else, it just makes me vomit.

Like in the morning I couldn't eat a piece of dry toast, the thought of it makes me ill, so i need to put beans and cheese on it as that makes it ok.

I've started 'needing' a sugar in my tea,

and I can't drink diet fizzy drinks now hmm

Its not even like I 'crave' things its just very FEW things don't make me want to vomit, and the few things are awful ones like greggs cheese and onion pasties!! hmm

I shall be a whale.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Nov-10 20:24:45

Yeah but you also get that golden six months post partum where if you eat sensibly your body just jettisons weight automatically. Swings and roundabouts my dear. Don't sweat it!

japhrimel Wed 10-Nov-10 20:27:15

if you've started craving/eating lots of sugar, might be worth mentioning it to your MW.

I liked the advice in "What To Expect" about trying to make sure your food is as nutritious as possible. Pregnancy is not time to be eating unhealthy diet foods.

ilovemydogandMrObama Wed 10-Nov-10 20:28:03

will join you in whale mode, although am just consuming vast quantities of marmite hmm. I have no idea why...

TotorosOcarina Wed 10-Nov-10 20:30:12

jap, I can't EAT anything else,

I seriously can only stomach what I fancy day to day!

Crazycatlady Wed 10-Nov-10 20:31:46

Marmite is very high in B vitamins (inc folic acid) I think. I always crave it when pregnant. And chick peas...

However I am also going to join you OP in moving into whale territory. I am so damn hungry all the time and end up stuffing my face at each meal. It is not good. I put on masses of weight with my first and vowed not to do the same again but it's so hard to stop eating!

bananarama05 Wed 10-Nov-10 22:52:22

another one in the queue for the whale club over here!

a can of 7up with breakfast is now a regular occurance for me.

my usually healthy diet has gone out the window for the time being as i know exactly what you mean about only being able to eat what i fancy day to day

OP have you tried greggs cheese bean and sausage pasties? they're a thing of beauty grin

Pootle78 Wed 10-Nov-10 22:59:43

I was on Slimming World when I fell pregnant and within 2 weeks of finding out, all healthy food went out the window and I couldn't eat fruit and veg for about 8 weeks!

I used to drink diet drinks like they were going out of fashion but after diet coke made me sick on more that 1 occasion I have decided that I think the aspartamine in them doesn't agree with me so it's full fat everything so will bagsy my place on the whale line too!

My only slightly saving grace is that I can't snack like I used to and I could graze all day - that seems to have disappeared!

bananarama05 Wed 10-Nov-10 23:03:18

Pootle78 I was on Weightwatchers and really enjoyed it as well!

I've found grazing is the only way to stop myself feeling sick at the moment, I almost have to be constantly eating and fruit just doesn't cut it!

pinkyp Wed 10-Nov-10 23:08:50

i had 5 biscuits for my breakfast followed by a twix. I can now eat a full chip butty from the local chippy on my own (they have massive portions me and dh use to share one)

JBrd Wed 10-Nov-10 23:26:38

Girls, I'm with you. Just starting my second trimester, and I've already gone up two(!) dress sizes. Had to buy my first pair of maternity pants last week, because nothing in my wardrobe fits anymore. But carbs are the only thing that keep the sickness at bay, there's nothing I can do about it!

DH just laughs at me when he finds me at 11pm in the kitchen, munching cereal before going to bed.

And that just after I spent a fortune on new interview outfits only a few months ago... Great confused

goodnightmoon Thu 11-Nov-10 07:48:44

eat what you fancy but just don't eat a lot of it ... and please try to get some fruit and veg in for the little one.

it really is a major hassle to shed the excess weight afterwards.

mjinhiding Thu 11-Nov-10 07:53:08

Message withdrawn

lilly13 Thu 11-Nov-10 09:12:43

I am sure your weight will even out in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. Don't worry about it. However, I agree with Goodnight that it would be sensible to eat small amounts of sugars and junk foods, and generally manage the caloric intake (I know this is tough). Also, try a variety of nutritious foods you did not eat pre-pregnancy - you never know you might like some of them! For example, I was never a fan of pommegranates, raw cacao bits, beets and puffed barley, but I recently tried these and ended up liking these quite a lot. Hope you feel better soon and wishing you a good pregnancy!

LotteryWinnersOnAcid Thu 11-Nov-10 09:45:44

I was eating quite badly for a while during first/second tri. I just REALLY fancied sweet things, desserts etc, and ate them in abundance, although was eating a healthy diet alongside these, but the excess calories probably weren't doing me any favours. Luckily now the cravings have levelled about a bit and my diet is definitely more balanced and I'm getting more of the good stuff in.

I am in third tri now and have recently started on iron tablets which I think definitely helps stop the cravings for junk. When do you have your next blood tests? It might be worth getting checked out for deficiencies as this may be what is causing the craving for junk. I am definitely less bloated now and am looking slimmer than I did in 2nd tri, except for the big bowling ball belly, but these days I'm pretty sure it's all baby. grin

malteser1981 Thu 11-Nov-10 11:24:01

whomovedmychocolate - your comment has made my week. Please god let that be me............! smile

Stangirl Thu 11-Nov-10 11:38:18

I was on the tubby side pre-pregnancy (about a stone over my bmi range) and absolutely ballooned. I ate complete crap all the time. Pot noodles, fish and chips and pizza. It was the only food that i could bear the taste of. After birth I lost a ton of weight and by 6months after i weighed a stone lighter than where i started from. I now eat healthily all the time and exercise 5 times a week.

TooImmature2BMum Thu 11-Nov-10 14:05:20

I want to be you, Stangirl! I was about half a stone overweight pre-pregnancy, but I have also been eating like a pig for the last 12 weeks with a huge proportion of chips in my diet (I can't resist the work canteen food, which is school-dinner type stuff with veg boiled so far there can't be any nutrients left in). I was okay in the first trimester because DH was making me packed lunches, but we've got lazy recently and haven't been making sure we have lunch-type food ready to take, so I fall back on canteen food.

I really hope I lose heaps of weight after the birth and wind up lighter than before!

Stangirl Thu 11-Nov-10 17:12:46

TI2BM - Without exception all my friends who managed significant amounts of bfing lots more weight than they put on. Seriously, I stuffed my face throughout my entire pregnancy. Roast lunches most days at work, big breakfasts, dinners with pudding and loads of snacks. I'm not even young - I'm 41.

midori1999 Thu 11-Nov-10 17:17:40

I'm the same. However, I was also the same in my last pregancy and had still lost half a stone by the time I gave birth.

I can only eat supernoodles for breakfast. (gross!) And then am usually still hungry/feeling sick so have been having crisps and a couple of biscuits too. Unless I eat regularly I start to feel really sick. Last night I ate 2/3 of a tub of Hagen Das. I didn't feel sick anymore afterwards amazingly, but I don't think it's a good idea to do that too often.

I had a roast for lunch today, it was huge and I am now feeling very sick again and only feel like I can eat junk food.

I am also craving Indian Takeaways. Luckily we ar every rural, so the nearest is miles away.

Boo81 Thu 11-Nov-10 17:18:40

Stangirl - am praying I'm one of those people who loses all, if not more than they put on!!

What do you count as significant amounts of bfing? For about 6 months at least???

Stangirl Thu 11-Nov-10 17:36:08

I did 6months - but i think if you manage to feed a large baby for anything over 3 months it really speeds weight loss. To be clear - I am not saying anything more broadly about the benefits or otherwise of BFing just its use as a weight loss tool. To be honest I think most of my friends who bottle fed also lost significant amounts of weight =- the sheer tiredness and busyness of having a baby contributes.

sarahscot Thu 11-Nov-10 18:40:49

When I went back to Weight Watchers when breastfeeding I was allowed an extra 8 points a day - in calorie terms that adds uo to somewhere between 450ish and 560 (depends on saturated fat too). That is a lot of calories! It was brilliant - I ate 'normal' amounts, i.e. 2000 calories a day and still lost weight.

However, I seem to have put on a lot of weight this time - 19lbs so far and I'm only 22 weeks. Perhaps bf-ing one baby won't cut it this time! Anyone want me to breastfeed their babies as well as my own? grin

Southsearocks Thu 11-Nov-10 19:40:04

Oh thank goodness it's not just me! I'm also overweight (by about 1 1/2 stone pre-pregnanacy) and was doing well on Slimming World, but as soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped going and started feeding my face with all the things I love. I didn't even have sickness as an excuse. But I've just wanted to eat cake and drink Iron Bru!

So weighed myself this week and nearly fell off the scales. I feel bad for being so over weight but gorgeous boyf doesn't seem to mind.

What I have also noticed is I can't bend in the middle any more! Could be that I'm short but reaching down for anything is a big effort now. Sigh I'm banking on your advice about BF grin x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: