Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is it ok to use an electric blanket.....

(9 Posts)
Jellyrollgumdrop Wed 10-Nov-10 16:55:00

Im 11 weeks pregnant & freezing at night in bed....brrrrrrrr

JBrd Wed 10-Nov-10 17:13:17

I'd be careful with those, to be honest - as lovely as they are, they can get you pretty hot, which you want to avoid at the moment... Also, the danger is that you fall asleep before switching them off - happened to me a couple of times, and I woke up in the middle of the night absolutely roasting!

I'm making do with thick wollen socks, an extra blanket and a moderate hot water bottle at my feet!

vmcd28 Wed 10-Nov-10 18:01:55

Also, I've read things in the past about some concerns over the use of electric blankets for a prolonged period - something to do with ions or something scientific like that.

caramellokoalalover Wed 10-Nov-10 18:09:24

I'm asking DH nightly to go up 5 mins before me and warm the bed on my side before I get in blush - very cheeky but it's so cold otherwise!

suedehead Wed 10-Nov-10 19:05:32

i too can't bear to let my electric blanket go!

i've read that the only reason you shouldn't use them is because you might overheat. (not read this thing about ions though - will get googling... ;-)
we have an over-duvet blanket, with a shut off after an hour, so it just warms us up enough to get in, and then we tend to manage. i reckon that's alright. you just need to make sure that you don't get too hot, so maybe stick it on a timer if it doesn't have an automatic shut off?

good idea re DH doing the pre-bedtime warming though!

PipPipPip Thu 11-Nov-10 11:01:05

You'll be totally fine, provided you turn them off before you get into bed or have it on very low.

For overheating to be a problem, you need to get VERY hot - like sweating, dizzy, red in the face etc.

So sitting in a really hot sauna is a bad idea but having a cosy electric blanket is fine.

Just ensure that YOU are comfortable. If it is so hot that you feel dizzy or sweaty, turn it off.

Jellyrollgumdrop Thu 11-Nov-10 11:43:27

Thank you, couldnt bare the thought of freezing this winter!!

japhrimel Thu 11-Nov-10 11:44:44

If you put it on for an hour or so before bed and then turn it off when you get it, it'll definitely be fine.

goodlifemummy Thu 11-Nov-10 13:55:36

I put mine on bfore I get into bed to take the edge off, then read for a bit, switch it off, and it keeps me toasty most of the night. Also if I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep I bung it on for 10 minutes and although it doesn't stop DH's snoring, it does lull me back to sleep!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: