Talk

Advanced search

reassurance please!

(6 Posts)
magentastardust Wed 10-Nov-10 15:46:51

This is my 3rd pregnancy so I should know better!
Did pregnancy test last week after feeling rubbish for a couple of weeks and was surprised to get a positive result.
Am in that limbo stage at the moment of we think around 9 weeks , have got appointment with midwife next week-so everything still sort of feels unreal if that makes sense.

My pregnancy test was a double tesco pack so (and I don't know why!!) I did the second one today but the line was still definately there but was a couple of shades lighter than the last time.
Am I just being a mad paranoid pregnant woman or could I have a reason for concern as could my hormone levels be lowering???
Forgot how worrying prenancy can be !
Thanks

MedicalEd Wed 10-Nov-10 16:02:38

hello magentastardust,

Over-the-counter pregnancy tests are reliable, more so with a positive than a negative.
Chances are your midwife won't do any more tests than you have done already - mine didn't, nor the GP.
If you really can't wait until the 12 weeks you could consider having an early scan - you should hear a heartbeat at nine weeks. You may have to go private though unless you have had any reason like bleeding to worry about.
Some hospital have walk-in early pregnancy units for this.

wigglesrock Wed 10-Nov-10 16:10:48

I have always used Tesco tests!! Am 26 weeks with my 3rd - this is the pregnancy I have worried most about grin Don't quote me but I think that after a certain amount of time your body gets used to pregnancy hormones and test lines can be faint or sometimes not show up. I think this is why some women can have "negative" tests even when they're 4-5 months along. I was really tempted to re-test with this pregnancy but managed to avoid temptation. Good luck and congratulations

yellowflowers Wed 10-Nov-10 16:33:30

I did a few (oh okay, about ten) when I found out and in the week afterwards. They changed colour all the time depending on time of day, brand, how much I had drank, when I last had wee etc. Even the digital ones which say how pregnant you are went up and down. Freaked me out at the time but just remember a line is a line is a line. Congratulations!

x

vmcd28 Wed 10-Nov-10 17:58:28

agree with yellowflowers, the tests can have a different concentration of dye in them, which would change the intensity of the line.
Let's face it, the manufacturers want to make as much money as possible, so if the line should get darker each day, they'd tell you that so you bought more tests.

LunaticFringe Wed 10-Nov-10 20:34:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now