Talk

Advanced search

Which fetal doppler...?

(11 Posts)
CaringForPod Wed 10-Nov-10 15:14:53

Hello,

Has anyone got any recommendations for a fetal doppler to buy?

I've heard mixed reviews of the Angelsounds one, and some people mention a 'proper' doppler, but not really sure how to distinguish between the two.

Any tips?

KnockedUpMell Wed 10-Nov-10 17:48:11

I have the cheap angelsounds one off amazon, and it's fantastic value for money. I reckon the people who say it's not as good as a professional one are those who aren't quite sure where to listen (or who don't realise that in early pregnancy it can take a while to get the right spot anyway). Can definitely recommend it if you wanted to get one. I managed to pick my baby's heartbeat up from 10+weeks, (am now 20w, and listen in a couple of times a week, or if there are days when I haven't felt movements). Of course there are issues about whether it is apporpriate for us to be listening in etc but that's another debate!

vmcd28 Wed 10-Nov-10 17:50:04

Yes, I hired the BT one from ebay - £10 a month.
I heard the HB at 11 weeks, altho I know some people dont hear it till later.

As long as you know that you might NOT hear it every single time. Even midwives dont listen for a HB till after around 18w cos it's so hit and miss.

lucybrad Wed 10-Nov-10 17:52:07

my angel sounds is better than the one the midwife uses - for definate!

Sparklies Wed 10-Nov-10 18:55:29

I got the Sonoline B 3Mhz off eBay for about £50. 3Mhz is "better" than 2Mhz for early on, but I believe 2Mhz has a clearer sound or works better with larger ladies although I could be wrong about that.

I actually found the heartbeat at 7w6d but this is very unusual - I just have a ton of practice from previous pregnancies and knew all the tricks. Even then I never found it again until 8w5d. In reality most people won't find it until 9-10 weeks if not more.

Love it though!!

Southsearocks Wed 10-Nov-10 19:28:16

I got the Angelsounds one too off Amazon. It was about £23 and you can attach two sets of headphones so my other half and I lie on the bed listening together! You have to wiggle it around a bit to find the heartbeat but it's very easy to use smile

Amberc Wed 10-Nov-10 20:30:50

I got a hi bebe one - it's fab and using it now in my second pregnancy with twins. Highly recommended hi bebe Don;t forget the ultrasound gel!

SaorAlba Wed 10-Nov-10 20:35:48

We got an angelsounds one. Got it on Thursday, Found the heartbeat for the first time on Friday (17weeks). We have been using bio oil instead of 'ultrasound gel' because I had some in the house for using on my tummy anyway. Works fine for us. Had it plugged into computer speakers at my parents' in Sunday so the whole family could listen at once.

SaorAlba Wed 10-Nov-10 20:36:22

Oh, it was £19 from amazon.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 10-Nov-10 20:37:14

I have a proper one with a wand - found it v reassuring. Keep forgetting to put it on ebay hmm

You can use tens pad gel or any other conductive gel (Boots sell it) too.

CaringForPod Fri 12-Nov-10 17:04:55

Thanks for all the replies :-)

I've gone for a Sonoline B one, figured if it's the same as the midwife uses then it should be OK. A bit more expensive but worth it for peace of mind. I know it can take a while to 'tune in' to the HB, but can't wait for it to arrive.

I'm 16 weeks and the midwife listened for (and heard) the HB earlier in the week. Since the appointments seem few and far in between, I thought I'd get something to help me out at home!

Thanks again

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now