Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

"Real" labour or "practice" labour

(5 Posts)
pinky27 Wed 10-Nov-10 14:29:19

Hiya, Bit confused - am 38wks and have been having pains since 2am this morning ( feel like period pains and go round to my back) - they come about every 10 mins and last for about 30 secs. Is this the start of labour??? Or is it just a practice?? could it just be braxton Hicks? My partner took the day off work cos we thought it was all beginning but now think it was just a false alarm cos pains aren't getting any worse. Haven't had any other signs e.g water breaking or having a "show".

Is anyone else having the same?? Don't know what to do with myself!
Thanks
(confused)

slimyak Wed 10-Nov-10 15:19:22

OOOh how exciting. I had this with DD1 and DH took the day off as I was sure something was up. I read the 'false' labour section in my book about every 40 minutes.

We went for a nice long walk (it was Summer) and had a chilled out day. The period pain was still there at bed time but that was it. I took two paracetamol to help me sleep, which sounds daft but worked for me and my waters broke when I turned over in bed at 3am. From that point I had stonger pains at more regular intervals but wouldn't have gone in to hospital unless my waters had broken. When I got there I was 3-4 cm and they said I should stay. DD born at 11am.

Basically from my experience it could be starting, so if you can get a bit active, just going for a walk, you might get some of the slog out of the way before labour really kicks in.

Hope all goes well and take a towel to bed with youwink!

Lauz87 Wed 10-Nov-10 15:34:12

pinky i am in exactly the same position as you, except they are starting to get worse. i'm currently timing them on an internet application to see if there's a trend and whether i need to call the midwife, are you recording yours? I'll keep my eye on the thread to see how you're getting along Good Luck!!!!!!

slimyak Thu 11-Nov-10 10:50:16

How's it going ladies?

claire87 Thu 11-Nov-10 11:54:57

i am only 20 weeks pregnant with my second and i am having real bad pains...i had to have my waters broke and everything with my first so i never went into labour myself and it scares me a little cause i wont know when i am in labour lol i am really scared about going really early with this one and every pain freaks me out x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: