Talk

Advanced search

Humour me - am probably quoting some incorrect old wives tales!

(6 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 10-Nov-10 13:17:51

I vaguely remember hearing that x % of first born children are late, but the second labour typically start earlier than the first.

I had a c-section with my first, and am pregnant again. Trying for a VBAC. Due in May. Consultant has said that they'd pref to do a c-section if I went overdue.

I had dd at 39 weeks via section but did not go into labour, never had any contractions etc.

I'm basically wondering what my chances are of going into labour before the 41 week deadline the consultant mentioned by thinking of these old wives tales / sentences etc that I've heard!

Am at work now and finished lunch, so will get back to the thread later today.

TIA

NoahAndTheWhale Wed 10-Nov-10 13:21:47

Congratulations on your pregnancy

I'm not much help as DS was born at 38+3 and then DD was born at 40+4. So labour with her started two weeks later than with DS.

I'd say (and with no scientific basis behind it) that a lot of babies are born before 41 weeks.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Wed 10-Nov-10 17:16:34

Okay. That gives me a bit of reassurance. I really want to avoid having another section, the hospital have already said they wont induce with me having a previous section, so if I go "over-due" then its a section

happycamel Wed 10-Nov-10 17:19:54

btw, normal gestation is 38 - 42 weeks so 41 isn't overdue. It's up to you, they can't make you have a c-section before you want one. They'll monitor you more closely in weeks 40 and 41 if you want to wait a bit longer. I think they can be a bit keen with planned c-sections don't be afraid to fight back a bit.

Janus Wed 10-Nov-10 17:24:20

Mmmm, interesting. My first was a c-section at 40+4, second was a vbac at 40+4, third a vbac 40+1. I don't remember anyone mentioning that I couldn't be induced. Am pregnant with fourth and they seem very relaxed this time, no-one has really mentioned c-section yet but I will check about being induced.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 10-Nov-10 17:32:05

Janus - Some PCT's will induce and some won't. I believe the stronger contractions caused by the induction drug are more likely to put strain on your scar so the chances of a uterine rupture are higher.

What term do they class as overdue? 40+7, 40+10 or 40+14? You can always elect to have monitoring, they will scan to check amniotic fluid levels and blood flow through the cord/placenta.

IME, focus on having a good positive VBAC, not the posible section.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now