Talk

Advanced search

All day sickness - work or "skive"?

(17 Posts)
SofaKitten Sun 07-Nov-10 18:27:17

Feeling nauseous constantly. Feel knackered and "heavy". Get light headed when I stand up. Am throwing up a couple of times a day but can keep small snacks and small drinks down.

Sooo.... do I go into work tomorrow or not? I was so knackered last week it's taken me all weekend on the sofa to recover.

I teach and have exam classes so would feel really bad about abandoning them, but I really don't think I can do it.

Opinions?

Minione Sun 07-Nov-10 19:00:37

I know that feeling! We had an Ofsted inspection last week, on top of horrendous morning sickness (vomiting morning and last t hing at night) and low blood pressure I had a sore throat and a cough! Only one person at work knows that I am pregnant and at times I just wanted to cry. I have students taking an exam tomorrow so feel like I have to go in.

Tbh if I feel like this on Tuesday I will probably not go in - my Midwife (whose sons go to my school) said as much. Just make sure you look after yourself!

rubbersoul Sun 07-Nov-10 19:02:25

I feel your pain SofaKitten! How many weeks are you? I'm struggling with work as well, I had to be signed off for a week a couple of weeks ago due to constant sickness. Have you had any time off?

Rocklover Sun 07-Nov-10 19:02:50

Your health is more important so don't do anything you feel you can't cope with. You probably won't give the kids your best teaching performance anyway.

I'd get yourself a dr's appt and see what they say, they may well sign you off for a week or so as rest really is the best way to deal with ms.

SofaKitten Sun 07-Nov-10 19:02:51

Teacher guilt is horrendous!

- although not as bad as the constant nausea/tiredness admittedly grin

SofaKitten Sun 07-Nov-10 19:05:52

7 weeks so still early.
To get a docs appointment I would need about 2 weeks notice unfortunately! Have had 2 days off this term because I lost my voice, but nothing due to the pregnancy. I have had 2 previous miscarriages so am somewhat anxious to look after myself this time - although I've never been this sick before.

rubbersoul Sun 07-Nov-10 19:13:25

As my doctor told me, sickness is a good sign, although that doesn't help much when you feel sooo ill!

I would get yourself to the doctor- can you not ring up first thing in the morning and say you need to see a doctor today? I wouldn't go in tomorrow regardless- have you told anyone at work yet? I had to tell my work at around 7/8 weeks, due to how ill I was!

SofaKitten Sun 07-Nov-10 19:23:28

I told the technicians in case of health and safety practical problems (teach chemistry), and had to tell a few more people last week due to rushing out of lessons to throw up (can't leave a practical without a science teacher so needed to grab the nearest one)
Rubbersoul - yes I keep telling myself it's a good sign!
I think my DP has compassion fatigue already mind...
I tend to be best in the mornings so I could try to arrange mornings only I suppose. Haven't thrown up till 11am so far!

crochetcircle Sun 07-Nov-10 20:35:45

Hi sofakitten
I started a similar thread last week as I was feeling totally rough - and got lots of helpful advice that helped me to get things in perspective.

(its here link if you want to see some of the advice I got.)

I've been off all week and am seriously thinking about not going in for some of next week too (9 weeks now, still unbelievably exhausted and nauseous). I feel like I need to prioritise my health. I had a mc previously as well, so can understand where you are coming from.

Let us know how you get on - you are not alone! x

SofaKitten Sun 07-Nov-10 20:58:02

Thanks crotchet, that was helpful. Yes I've decided I need some time off!

Hope you feel better soon and are looking after yourself.

Minione Sun 07-Nov-10 22:25:52

Teacher guilt is awful. My son was stillborn in June following a difficuly pregnancy so I obviously missed a lot of time last year. I also had a miscarriage this time last year. The school were supportive and I know that I had no choice but to miss work but I feel like I have to be in at the moment. This week was particularly difficult, but its difficult teachig when you feellike you are about to throw up.

I'm currently eight weeks pregnant and don't really want to tell people as of yet but feel I might need to

GretnaGirl Mon 08-Nov-10 08:16:04

I have had 9 weeks off so far with sickness,exhaustion and depression (caused by hormones and feeling so ill) The guilt is awful but at the end of the day you and baby are what is important. If you felt this ill wihout being pregnant would you even consider going to work?? I think we put a lot off pressure on ourselves because we see it as self inflicted! I hope you take some time off and feel better soon. x

PavlovtheCat Mon 08-Nov-10 08:17:42

you are not skiving. You are unwell. if you were not pregnant and being sick like this you would be off work, why is it different because it is pregnancy causing it? it still making you feel terrible.

sparklyrainbow Mon 08-Nov-10 08:37:01

Teacher guilt- understand completely. I had a few days off with morning sickness and exhaustion at the beginning. You need the time off, you can't be at your best feeling like that and so the kids will suffer anyway. And you don't want to spend every weekend useless and wiped out to recover from the previous week- been there, done that! Hope you haven't gone in. School will run without you and if it's anything like mine, no-one will really notice you're not in or care if you struggle through the day shock

I'm currently waiting for the doctor to phone me back, haven't been in for a week now and need a certificate to be signed off... almost 33 weeks with PGP Have had to abandon all my classes including year 11s and felt a little guilty but know I can barely move around my house, let alone teach!

Mahraih Mon 08-Nov-10 11:59:12

Hey sofakitten,

I went through this conundrum last week (not a teacher though!)

I've worked for weeks feeling ill, achy, woozy etc and tend to just do it until I really can't any more (at this point my work has started to suffer and that's what stops me) then have a day or two off.

It isn't skiving. I've felt bad, lying in front of the TV, but there's no point being at work grouchy, sicky and exhausted. Which is what I'm doing today!

Don't put yourself through anything you don't need to, basically.

gillykins2011 Mon 08-Nov-10 13:04:35

Hi Sofakitten - I am in the same position as you [but not a teacher]. I went to see the midwife this morning and told her how I was feeling and how miserable I was being sick twice a day. She told me to go to see the GP and s/he would just sign me off as she said rest does help.

I have told work I have a 'woman's health issue' - noone probes then do they? so that I can keep using it as an excuse for when I am feeling too grim to go in. I think the hard bit is I could easily work half days but a sick note is like someone saying you are really in and shouldn't be doing any work at all whereas in reality I would just like a bit of slack!

Good news is that the midwife said only another 4-8 weeks of it - oh great - I welled at that point!!!

hope you are feeling better today

GretnaGirl Mon 08-Nov-10 13:10:13

You can get a "fit to work" note where the doctor recommends that you can only work reduced hours... just an option if you didn't want to stay home all day everyday. I'm cuurently sitting on the sofa wondering if I could manage a couple of hours in the office this afternoon, maybe the company will cheer me up...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now