Talk

Advanced search

overdose on vitamin C

(11 Posts)
anne74 Sat 06-Nov-10 21:51:24

I am 28 weeks and currently full of cold. My normal treatment option is lots and lots of vitamin C. I take the 1000mg vitamin C with Zinc effervescent version and take 2 at a time and repeat several times throughout the day when I have a cold. It works a treat.

Is there a chance of me causing damage to the baby with too much vitamin C or zinc? I've had 4 tablets today (4000mg) but figured I shouldn't have more than that. Ideally I probably would have double that in a day when I'm feeling like this.

Any thoughts?

ektorpjennylund Sun 07-Nov-10 02:26:11

Anne
Vit C is water soluble. So your body will know if you've taken in more than it needs and you'll essentially pee it out.
Nothing to be concerned about.
Hope you are having a great pregnancy ( bar the cold, obvioulsy!)
HTH

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 07-Nov-10 02:31:20

Your body can't absorb vitC really, it takes what it needs and expels the rest, so don't worry.

I'm full of cold too, so sympathies being thrown in your general direction.

anne74 Sun 07-Nov-10 05:28:11

Thanks for the reassurance. Are there any other remedies I can use to treat a cold? It has well and truly taken hold during the night and normally by this stage I'd be fully dosed on decongestants. I feel totally rubbish and my friends are throwing me a baby shower today. At this rate I'm going to have to take a couple of days off sick which is less than ideal and feels a bit wet and weedy just for a cold!

aristomache Sun 07-Nov-10 05:31:47

echinacea? not sure if it's ok to take while pg but a quick google would be bale to tell you

aristomache Sun 07-Nov-10 05:32:00

able*

LisMcA Sun 07-Nov-10 14:14:15

Olbas oil on a hanky or on your pillow at night! Works wonders!!

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 07-Nov-10 16:26:15

I don't think there is anything you can take unfortunately. Olbas oil will definitely help though.

If you've got the heating on stick a damp towel on the radiator to keep moisture in the air.
Hot bath might help?

Also, you could try a hot drink with lemon, honey and ginger to see if that helps.

Hope you feel better soon

bessie26 Sun 07-Nov-10 17:17:42

We've got radiators with a flat top and I pop a ramikin filled with water & a few drops of olbas oil on top of them, makes the room smell lovely!

Lemon, honey & Ginger is good too, I like to eat the slices of Ginger after I've finished the drink :-)

anne74 Sun 07-Nov-10 17:21:10

Thanks guys. I did have the heating on earlier but have turned it off now as it's just too hot.

I'll try the hot honey and lemon with ginger drink. Didn't think of that one. It's better during the day when I'm up and about although I'm coughing a lot. At night it's worse as I get all stuffed up so can't sleep.

Will give these things a go. Thanks for not thinking me a complete wimp wingeing about a cold!

lilly13 Sun 07-Nov-10 19:46:37

It would be best if you squeez fresh juice from lemons and drink it with warm water and honey (please do not use boiling water as it breaks down vitamin C). Ginger juice is very good as well. Feel better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now