Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can babies fart in the womb?

(29 Posts)
Mammie81 Tue 02-Nov-10 22:42:03

I know its so silly, but Im sure I just felt farty bubbles in my tummy! If its not possible then it could be my own wind blush but Im really interested to know!

How funny if its a little baby fart!

HystericalMe Tue 02-Nov-10 22:43:08

But they don't breathe air!

HystericalMe Tue 02-Nov-10 22:43:34

I mean, no I don't think so. smile

sharbie Tue 02-Nov-10 22:43:42

they hiccup

vintageteacups Tue 02-Nov-10 22:44:23

They have hiccups so could be that you're feeling.
Or it's your own wind wink

droves Tue 02-Nov-10 22:52:55

i dont see how baby could fart before birth.

i always thought farts are an unfortunate by product of eating /swallowing air/and the digestive process.... since they dont eat or swallow air yet ???

hmm

Mammie81 Tue 02-Nov-10 22:54:18

Methane gas from food makes farts, doesnt it? I secretly hope it is a fart, how cute!

AnyFuleKno Tue 02-Nov-10 22:55:37

babies don't poo before birth do they...so I'm thinking it can't be

Mammie81 Tue 02-Nov-10 22:55:37

And their digestive systems work, dont they? Im not sure?

Mumcentreplus Tue 02-Nov-10 23:00:49

Lay off the broccolli and Brussels wink

thumbwheel Tue 02-Nov-10 23:02:52

No I don't think they do. The gas for farting mostly comes from bacterial breakdown of waste products in the gut - the baby has a virgin gut (no bacteria) in the womb so shouldn't really be possible.
Hiccups happen though.

Mammie81 Tue 02-Nov-10 23:05:53

Meh. I think it must have been my wind then. How disappointing.

droves Tue 02-Nov-10 23:12:00

nothing in their guts to digest... they get "food" (ykwim,) direct into bloodstream via placenta.

japhrimel Wed 03-Nov-10 08:51:32

They get hiccups.

All they have in their guts is digested lanugo which makes meconium (baby's first poo). They won't poo in the womb unless they get badly distressed or are overdue - good thing too as it can stop the oxygen getting to them or they can choke at birth.

TheEvilDead2 Wed 03-Nov-10 10:06:47

Charming thread grin

poor little baby already being blamed for mum's wind!

carriedafirework Wed 03-Nov-10 10:10:27

what is lanugo?
hair?

how do they get hicccups then?

droves Wed 03-Nov-10 11:29:51

lanugo is fine hair that covers babies before they are born. it helps keep them warm.Can be seen on prem babies sometimes , full term babbies shed it a before birth.

Hiccups is a twitch in the diaphram muscle thats under the ribcage...when born people do it it expels air from lungs and we get the noise with the air rushing up the vocal cords. Unborn babies do the muscle twitch , but as they are in fluid not air there is no noise that comes out...its still a hic-up though ;-)

carriedafirework Wed 03-Nov-10 12:07:42

oh yuk! then they eat it?

droves Wed 03-Nov-10 12:16:58

No they dont eat it , pmsl grin

I supposed it gets reabsorbed somehow ? , or disintegrates into the fluid ?. (not sure)
Ive never given birth to bits of hair that wasnt actually on the babies ! lol .

grin would be odd if you did ....have baby, then pass placenta and furball doesnt quite seem right ?

any midwifes about that can clarify ?

What exactly happens to the lanugo ?
where does it go?

japhrimel Wed 03-Nov-10 12:54:31

Pretty sure the baby does digest the remnants of the lanugo - it gives their digestive system "practice" just like how they swallow amniotic fluid and then pee it out to get their kidneys in practice and practice swallowing before birth.

anonymousbird Wed 03-Nov-10 12:58:05

hiccups for sure, my son had them ALL THE TIME overnight especially.

goodlifemummy Wed 03-Nov-10 12:59:46

Gross but hilarious!! grin

marriednotdead Wed 03-Nov-10 13:04:59

My DS can't have digested his lanugo.
He could have join the PG tips chimps from the delivery table.

droves Wed 03-Nov-10 13:44:22

japhrimel , if they do ingest it , to give the digestive system practice ....then they could produce by products ...farts ????

where does the meconium come from ? is that what you shit if you eat hair then ?
confused

ShirleyGunpowderPlot Wed 03-Nov-10 13:46:19

marriednotdead for Quote of the week

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now