Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

(8 Posts)
MissCKitty Sun 31-Oct-10 19:20:26

Hi ladies, am 27 weeks and over the last couple of days I have been experiencing a tingling, numbness like pins and needles in my right thumb and fingertips. Today I started getting pain in my arm and shoulder blade as well. It also hurts to grip things with my thumb and my grip feels really weak. With the shoulder pain I thought at first it might be pre eclampsia but I have no other symptoms so have discounted that. A nhs direct search threw up carpal tunnel syndrome which is apparently quite common in pregnancy. Has anyone else suffered with it and if so how did you manage the pain and discomfort?

bettypage Sun 31-Oct-10 22:22:06

Hello Miss,

This all sounds very familiar to me! You describe it well as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
I had this in my pregnancy and was referred to physio (NHS) at my local hosp. This involved having the hands massaged and I wore wrist supports. It didn't really improve it much but I think it stopped it from getting worse. I had CTS for about a year after the birth, but 3 and a half years on it's completely gone. Sorry it's not better news and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.
Take care xx

MoJangles Sun 31-Oct-10 22:52:05

Hi MissKitty, I have carpal tunnel and if it gets worse it can be quite grim, waking you up at night etc, so I do suggest getting a diagnosis to make sure, and getting some wrist splints to wear at night - they're the only thing that seems to help. Good luck!

ICantGetMuchSleep Mon 01-Nov-10 14:24:40

Sounds like Carpel tunnel. Have a look at this thread.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 08-Nov-10 13:39:27

Definately CTS in my opinion and it'll only get worse as your pregnancy continues. Would recommend you see your GP asap and ask for an appointment with Pysio so that they can get you some wrist supports for wearing at night...get the appt sooner rather than later though, my GP refered me at 36 weeks pg and I'm still waiting for the appt to come through..DD is 3.5 months!

Good news is it will go when you have the baby although it may take a few months, won't be instant.

EMS23 Mon 08-Nov-10 16:39:46

I have had it (38 weeks pregnant now) since about 25 weeks and although it is bearable during the day, at night I find it quite painful and it stops me sleeping.
Rather than waiting for an NHS referral I got some wrist splints at Boots, which cost £10 per hand and they have been a lifesaver, although they are not that comfortable, they are more comfortable than the CTS, IYSWIM.

If you do get your own ones, be sure to ask the pharmacist to get the correct ones for you and fit them etc... as the ones on display in Boots weren't suitable for CTS and I had to order mine in but that only took a day.

Also, if it does get worse, be careful when cooking etc.. as I find I drop things a lot easier so hot pans, the kettle etc.. can be a bit tricky.

yellowflowers Mon 08-Nov-10 17:02:30

I find running cold water on hands and wrists helps. Also massaging hands away from fingertip to elbow away from fingertips - physio showed me this and it helps. she also said when it hurts to keep hands above head.

Do go to doc though just in case it's a blood pressure related thing.

MissCKitty Mon 08-Nov-10 22:18:10

So far so good, its not got any worse and am having the odd day with no pain. Haven't seen my GP yet but doing the suggested exercises seems to have helped a lot smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: