Talk

Advanced search

Have to get taxi to hospital when in labour, am I over worrying? Advice appreciated!

(43 Posts)
bytheMoonlight Sat 16-Oct-10 19:20:19

We don't have a car or anyone that can be relied on yo give us a lift to hospital when labour starts.

I'm due in two weeks and the closer it gets the more I'm worried about having to get a taxi. The things that worry me are:

1. Having to wait ages for a taxi (when they say they are five minutes away but in reality they turn up a lot later)

2. Having contractions in the taxi, what if the driver isnt happy about having me in his car?

3. Getting to hospital and then being sent home as I'm not far enough dilated. The thought of having to get a taxi home and then back again makes me want to cry now let alone at the time.

Are these relevant concerns or am I over worrying due to closeness of birth?

onepieceoflollipop Sat 16-Oct-10 19:23:52

I think it is understandable that you will worry. On a positive note your dp will be with you which means he can support you and not worry about concentrating on the driving.

If you have to wait ages and your labour has speeded up you could ring for an ambulance (it is unlikely this would happen but perhaps knowing there is an alternative helps?)

Personally I wouldn't make a big deal when you ring for the taxi of saying it is for a woman in labour. Try and time your getting in to the taxi just after a contraction.

Hope all goes well.

Try not to worry about point 3, you can't do anything about that.

STRIPEYTOP Sat 16-Oct-10 19:32:23

bytheMoonlight, I have just trained as a birth doula and was advised by the doula who trained me that if the woman in labour or partner did not have a car, that they should ring for an ambulance; it doesn't have to be a big dramatic blue flashing light experience but just a little more security in that it is more likely to 1. arrive and 2. arrive promptly, esp if you say you are in labour. This is just coming from another angle, but I know it is quite a common occurance...another option. Hope this helps x

If its any help at all through my pregnancy I had severe hyperemisis. I was told to get into the ward asap when it got bad again and had not choice but to get a taxi. The driver chatted away merrily to me in the front whilst I retched merrily into a carrier bag for the 20 minute journey, then (bless him) got out the car to get the attention of a porter whom he insisted should help me to the ward.

He was lovely and informed me he sees a lot worse every satuday and friday night smile

BeehiveBaby Sat 16-Oct-10 19:35:28

I got a taxi to hospital with DD1 and the ride was fine but the discussion and debate with DH about whether I was at a taxi point or an ambulance point really affected my labour badly but that could have been prevented by discussing it indepth with DH and my MWs beforehand.

Just try and get DH to take responsibility for decision making (regarding transport!) on the day and be prepared with towels and a night wetting mat for the seat. I assume, if at all possible the triage MWs will take into account transport difficulties when deciding whether you stay in, as they would distance from the hospital for example. Another thing to discuss with MW.

I had a homebirth with DD2, much simpler BTW.

BeehiveBaby Sat 16-Oct-10 19:37:22

At antenatal classes the MWs put the fear of God into us about the reaction we would get from staff if they considered a labouring woman to have called an ambulance unnecessarily, it was really upsetting and offputting.

bytheMoonlight Sat 16-Oct-10 19:43:41

I'm due to see my MW next week so will mention the taxi, hadn't thought she would be intrested so didn't say anything before, think that was a mistake now.

I can't homebirth as I has ecs with DD, that would have been my first choice though.

Dh is on about letting the taxi firm know in advance we will need their service, not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Really appreciate the advice

cardamomginger Sat 16-Oct-10 19:45:27

I got a taxi when gave birth to DC1 2 weeks ago - it was fine. They turned up promptly and the driver was fab. Was very good about going over the bumps VERY SLOWLY.... I completely understand that you are worried - I was too! We used a company that we know to be very reliable - if you don't have a company that you use a lot and trust, could you or DP call a couple of them and have a chat with the operator/controller? And you can take one of those absorbant mats/a towel/a shower curtain to sit on if you are worried about waters going. And make sure you have enough cash for the fare grin. Good luck!!

BeehiveBaby Sat 16-Oct-10 19:55:27

My driver was ace and went over bumps really slowly too smile

PrivetDancer Sat 16-Oct-10 20:03:53

I would ring a few companies in advance, at least to suss out if they would have a problem with taking you in in labour.
Once you're in labour you could give them a ring and book one for a couple of hours time with the option of postponing maybe? See what they say now.

I expect the drivers might enjoy the drama, especially if they are parents themselves Got to be more exciting than taking someone to bingo!

bytheMoonlight Sat 16-Oct-10 20:31:49

I think I will get dh to ring round and Suss out our local taxi firms feelings about women in labour.

Is there a good way of knowing when it's time to go to hospital?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 16-Oct-10 20:43:58

I think thats very bad advice about ringing for an ambulance rather than a taxi. Unless you are bleeding or believe the birth to be imminent, etc. Ambulances are there for an emergency. You say it doesn;t have to be a blue light/siren flashing job but you are taking a blue light/siren ambulance with a paramedic and technician away from answering emergency calls. Plus the cost to the NHS is something like £300 and then the risk that someone in an accident could die as you're using the ambulance.

missdt Sun 17-Oct-10 07:14:57

Honey has a good point - most taxi drivers will have had saturday night experiences that will make you a much politer easier customer, labour or no labour!

Egg Sun 17-Oct-10 07:23:56

i went in a taxi on my own when in labour with my twins. Had had previous 4hr labour with ds1 and was already 2hrs into labour when got taxi but weirdly was not worried. Did not tell taxi co when i called but did confess to driver when we were nearly there. Dt1 was born 1.5hrs after arriving but thankfully scream inducing contractions did not really start until after the taxi ride. Lots of luck!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 17-Oct-10 08:40:03

Just take a folded towel to sit on incase your waters go.

savoycabbage Sun 17-Oct-10 08:46:26

It's a good idea to talk to your MW about it, especially if you are anxious. She might have some tips for you or know a good taxi company.

Where do you live?

fanjolina Sun 17-Oct-10 08:52:12

My ambulance (emergency situation) took longer to arrive than a taxi would have. You'll be fine in a taxi, don't stress too much.

mousymouse Sun 17-Oct-10 08:59:18

taxi and minicab companies are not allowed to refuse transport to a woman in labour, however the advise my midwife gave me is not to let them know, just say that you need transport to the hospital.

I took a taxi as dh needed to take ds to a friend. unfortunately it was a saturday night just before christmas and it was not easy getting a free taxi, took more than one hour in the end with one taxi never turning up and me then calling another company.

I would take a disposable bed mat or changing mat to sit on and you will be fine.

ShirtyGerty Sun 17-Oct-10 09:02:17

It will be fine - please don't stress.

I'm 22 weeks and will also have to take a taxi to hospital when the time comes.

I've had to take a taxi to a+e before and the driver didn't bat an eyelid at DH doubled up in pain (he was fine in the end, turned out he had something really sharp in his eye). Was just really helpful.

I did ask the driver if he'd ever had someone in Labour and he said yes a few times. He enjoyed it in a way as he was able to be of great service to them - rather than just dropping his passengers off at the nearest curry house as ususal.

ShirtyGerty Sun 17-Oct-10 09:03:33

Oh and good luck!

discobeaver Sun 17-Oct-10 10:35:17

Pretty sure they won't send an ambulance to you round here, that's what I remember from last time anyway.

They'll send an ambulance for pissed up people who get smashed up in fights though.

Thandeka Sun 17-Oct-10 10:40:04

I had a few false alarms and had to go to the hospital for monitoring a few times and it was and got to the point where I would ring up the taxi firm wouldn't even say my name and they would be "XXX hospital is it? Haven't you had that baby yet!?". grin they knew my number.

When they did the lift while finally in labour they were fab and went over the bumps really slowly.

maxpower Sun 17-Oct-10 10:49:42

Would agree with lots of comments on here. DH is a paramedic and informs me that they are seriously unimpressed by 'maternataxi' calls (obviously emergencies not included) and that mw get the hump with women unnecessarily using ambulances as well. A lot of hospitals have contracts or arrangements with local taxi co's so it would be worth asking your mw if that's the case. Alternatively, check out some local cab co's in advance. Re being sent home - just remember, you don't actually have to go home if they say you're too early and if you had no means of transport I'm sure they'd try to accomodate you somewhere.

lavenderbongo Sun 17-Oct-10 10:54:30

I got a taxi with dd2 at 2.15am.

Unfortunately the local taxi firm was owned and run by the local candidate for the BNP. I didn't know this until he turned up to pick us up. I was contracting every two minutes by then so obviously didn't make my own opposing political view points obvious at that point.

After the birth we rang for a taxi home and who should turn up but his wife!

Sorry a bit off point but I found getting a taxi to hospital no problem. I think they are used to taking labouring women and I don't think there is any need to warn them in advance.

Lulumaam Sun 17-Oct-10 10:57:33

please do not ring ana mbulance if you are in labour unless you have a gush of blood or dark stained waters or you are pushing.

in early labour, or the early part of establised labour, you do not need an ambulance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now