Talk

Advanced search

Can't believe I've just wet myself! Where's the glamour in pregnancy!

(21 Posts)
excitedmummy2be Fri 24-Sep-10 13:18:09

I'm 34+4 and getting really fed up. I've got SPD, heartburn, insomnia. I was sick til 16 weeks. I'm just coming to terms with the excessive discharge and I've lost all my sex drive!!!! I was just about coping with all this until today when I coughed and wet myself! It's tipped me over the edge I think! I can't believe as a fully grown woman I've peed my pants! Seriously though, I assumed it was stress incontinence, but now wondering if I may be leaking amniotic fluid. How do you know?

DomesticG0ddess Fri 24-Sep-10 13:20:54

Oh dear! I think it is the smell - ie. it won't smell like wee! I think it has no scent at all.

If it helps, I don't feel very glamourous either.

Sniff it

I wet myself while throwing up blush and err... shat myself when I massively threw up in labour. MWs were rushing to take me to a delivery room in a wheelchair (I think they thought my water s had gone) and between contractions I was trying to tell them "actually... I just have err...shat myself.."

RunforFun Fri 24-Sep-10 13:23:13

Thats what I thought when I woke up to find I'd wet the bed.

Only to discover my waters had broken !

Like DG says it wont smell, and may be tinted with blood so a bit brown coloured.

Miasma Fri 24-Sep-10 13:23:19

amniotic fluid doesn't smell like wee, it smells sweet.

I always though mine smelled like hay but 've never smelled anyone else to compare grin

Dylthan Fri 24-Sep-10 13:24:20

Is it still leaking and does it .... Well... smell of wee?

If no to the first and yes to the second it's probably just wee ( whispers) the majority of us have probably done this while pg.

If your really worried don't feel embarresed to call your midwife.

excitedmummy2be Fri 24-Sep-10 13:24:52

It was totally clear and smelt of nothing.... But then I'm never concious that my wee smells of anything TBH!

Dylthan Fri 24-Sep-10 13:26:39

P.s sorry your having a shit time. Just keep in mind you won't be pregnant forever. X

excitedmummy2be Fri 24-Sep-10 13:33:10

dylthan thanks! PG is not quite what I imagined! Alot of it is the uncertainty about what's happening. Like this for example, I've read up a bit on stress incontinence and waters breaking and in some cases it seems impossible to know the differance. As I mentioned earlier, it was just when I coughed, totally clear and no smell. I've read though that watersbreaking can just be a trickle too. It has stopped now though, only happened when I coughed. I'm hoping it's wee as still a bit early!

kiwidreamer Fri 24-Sep-10 13:34:26

and remember to do your pelvic floor exercises post baby to ensure no repeat performances that cant even be blamed on being pregnant!!!

excitedmummy2be Fri 24-Sep-10 13:35:48

secretlemonadedrinker I nearly wet myself laughing again at your post! I'm so sorry to laugh as I'm sure you were mortified at the time!! But very funny to read! PG stories are amoungst the funniest and least dignified! X

It was horrific! I was being induced so on a 6 bed ward and it really kicked in (I always throw up in labour) and DH said I made a loud farty noise too blush I couldn't get wheeled out of there quick enough blush

excitedmummy2be Fri 24-Sep-10 13:42:55

secretlemonadedrinker I hope you never see those people again!!! Hehe

buttonmoon78 Fri 24-Sep-10 14:31:40

Glamour?! Chick, you're on the wrong track if you're expecting glamour!

Do your wet clothes / pants smell of wee now (sometimes it can take a while to, umm, 'ripen')?

Seriously though, if I were you I'd pack your dignity away with your summer clothes. It will still be there when you emerge from the baby fog!

Raahh Fri 24-Sep-10 14:48:06

I am 38, this is my 3rd pregnancy, and am 39 weeks. My bladder control (despite religious pelvic floor exercises), gave up during pg 1. Tena lady pads are my very best friend. All that glowing/blooming stuff is twaddle ime- this time round i have even had more spots than when I was a teenager. It is very depressing.grin

Apparently, amniotic fluid has a faint smell of hay. (Mine haven't broken spontaneously, so i don't actually remember to be honest!).

It is a very undignified experience all round (but worth it in the end!!)smile

FourEyesGood Fri 24-Sep-10 21:14:40

My DH said that when my waters broke, it smelled of Quavers!
I'm definitely, um, less continent than I was with DC1. I've been using pantyliners (my least favourite word) for a couple of months now but may have to move on up to Tena lady for the remaining 7 weeks or so...

mum2oneloudbaby Sat 25-Sep-10 03:51:12

excitedmummy2be - you have just described my pregnancy just throw in SPD and a trapped nerve in the back and it would be identical.

Raahh - it's good to know that despite pelvic floor exercises bladder control still goes. I thought I was just no good at them hmm

mum2oneloudbaby Sat 25-Sep-10 03:54:48

Meant to say there is absolutely no glamour whatsoever in pregnancy (or birth for that matter). And all the 'blooming' malarkey is a crock of rubbish to get you through the 2nd trimester without going mad.

Also, it does sound more like stress incontinence than waters but just be vigilant I've had a wonder a couple of times and as for smelling things I'm struggling with that full stop because my sense of smell is seriously weird when pregnant.

RedCardinal Sat 25-Sep-10 13:10:43

I've had a really bad hacking cough and cold for two weeks, had to hold my back and belly when coughing then would you believe it, yes every cough now came with a bit of wee blush i am only 34 and far too young to become a Tena lady, it is quite depressing sad I also began thinking could it be my waters, rather wanting it to be that than wee smilehowever no real smell either and in my opinion this is a result of the vast amounts of water i am now drinking. To top it all off I have suddenly got swollen ankles awher you have a leg a bit more like a log than one with any shape, this isn't nice to look at its making me feel a bit old.

Fingers crossed all this will go after the birth smile

this also made me doubt the pelvic floor exercises which I had been doing on a daily basis- do they even work????

Good Luck

Raahh Sat 25-Sep-10 13:54:29

ooh- the hacking cough- it is crap, isn't it- and you don't know what to do first. Grab stomach to stop the pain, cross your legs, or cover you mouth!

seasister Sat 25-Sep-10 17:07:49

I heard recently that stress incontinence isn't just about pelvic floor exercises/not doing them - that hormones relax the body and this can be the reason. I, too, do pelvic floor exercises ALL the time and have had a couple of sneeze/wee moments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now