anyone gone over their caffeine limit?....

(35 Posts)
SaraL77 Wed 22-Sep-10 13:53:59

I'm feeling guilty, hence the thread- torn between guilt and a lifelong caffeine addiction!

I have been pretty good only having 2 small cups of coffee a day (have a Senseo coffee machine -each pod has around 70-90mg of caffeine)but recently it's crept up to those plus a cup of tea. (and sometimes some chocolate as well)

now, I know, rationally I'm probably not harming my baby - I eat healthily otherwise and do all the right things and avoid all the right things etc etc. My sister in law (is Dutch- they drink lots of coffee) said her doc said she could have up to 4 cups of coffee a day and so now I'm thinking it's just the UK's strict (and probably overly-cautious) 'reccomendations' that I shouldn't be worrying about.

I'm interested to hear opinions or similar coffee-lovers situations!

OP’s posts: |
Sara41 Sat 17-Mar-18 23:54:37

I've done lot of digging on this topic and have found no evidence in support of the UK recommendations. Reason for the digging is that with DC1 I didn't even know I was pregnant, for the whole of the first trimester and part of the second. I thought my periods had stopped because of my sport, I was training for a body building contest. Long story short my caffeine intake daily was around 2000mg in preworkout supplements PLUS 4 or 5 cups of coffee PLUS one or two diet cokes and, I dunno, maybe a cup of tea, so I'd round that up to 3000mg or so. When I got my BFP I was so freaked out about what I'd done, especially considering the 200mg recommendation that I did some really deep digging into the issue and found there was no evidence to support it at all. That was just as well, as my lovely girl is now four and she didn't have any caffeine withdrawal or anything either! When I did find out I was pregnant I stopped the preworkout supplements, cancelled my contests and obstacle races though I did carry on with my daily gym until the birth. I'm really sorry to necrobump this thread but I wanted to share my experience in case others are worried. My best advice is to listen to your body and it'll tell you if something feels right or wrong, and typically we feel physically uncomfortable if we are doing something that might damage our babies. So to give an example - as well as gym and pre workout I used to sauna each day, but over the first trimester found I couldn't stay in the sauna longer than 5 minutes max rather than 15 or 20 as before. I didn't have any idea why until I found out I was pregnant, but I did listen to my body. So I'd also say that maybe the caffeine etc wasn't a problem for me, but if someone else takes it and feels sick or uncomfortable that might not suit them as well... our bodies are amazing and give us really good feedback and information. One size doesn't fit all, and a lot of the advice we are given is nonsense!

Octaviapink Sun 26-Sep-10 19:00:31

Golly, I had no idea there was a caffeine limit. Am 38 weeks with no 2 and have drunk my normal amounts of tea (about 3 pints a day) coffee and chocolate (have a thing for Nesquik at the moment...). Didn't do dd any harm, and I doubt it will do ds any!

gallicgirl Sun 26-Sep-10 18:57:32

I probably exceed guidelines on Double Decker consumption alone grin.

I've switched to decaff coffee at work and don't stress about it. I have friends in other countries who are given different guidelines so it's all a question of research and how cautious the medical service is in each country.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sat 25-Sep-10 22:38:40

What WriterofDreams said.

If I recall correctly (and sorry I cannot be arsed to look it up) all the research (and there is not a huge volume of it) is around women who drink very high amounts of coffee (like 6+ filter coffees a day) and there is some small but significant correlation to first trimester miscarriage and low birth weight. The studies IIRC in most cases looked at COFFEE consumption and not caffeine consumption and did not differentiate between caff and decaff.

There is also the question of associative factors (ie would women who drank very high amounts of coffee have other related factors that would affect their reproductive health).

There is also the interesting question that has been raised that women with viable pregnancies report aversion to caffeine as part of morning sickness. So would women who do not have viable pregnancies have less aversion to caffeine and drink more of it and it is a resulting factor rather than a cause. IE it might be that women who have miscarriages drink more caffeine rather than women who drink caffeine have more miscarriages. If you see what I mean.

gaelicsheep Sat 25-Sep-10 22:25:22

There's a limit?! Of course I knew about the limit, but there are far more important things to be concerned about. Unless you're downing Pro Plus and Red Bull I wouldn't worry, I really wouldn't.

PipPipPip Sat 25-Sep-10 22:21:47

I'm sure you'll be fine - just don't go crazy and start drinking buckets of the stuff x

Advertisement

ki28 Sat 25-Sep-10 19:28:23

currently 31 wks with 3rd preg and i would bath in the stuuff if i could! i have two giant cups a day and am far to tired lookin after 5yr ds and 19mnt dd to worry bout drinking to much coffee. Enjoy the few cups you have.coffee is my saviour!! i would just be a tired grumpy mummy without it xx

TooImmature2BMum Sat 25-Sep-10 18:18:26

Chocolate has caffeine in it???? I was feeling good because I had been making sure I had no more than 4 cups of tea a day, but then today I read that it's actually 2 mugs (I think cup is misleading because those are titchy and no one actually uses them, just mugs), so I've been drinking up to 4 mugs of tea plus eating usual amount of chocolate. I can't do anything right!

slimyak Thu 23-Sep-10 12:40:00

IMO unless you're really hammering it I wouldn't worry, especially if you're out of the first 12 weeks. Not sure if this is the same for breast feeding though.

This time and last time I'm drinking very little tea, just one cup a day as it just don't taste right, but coffee is still great. Unfortunately, like last time, I have an extremely intollerant bladder when it comes to caffine and if I have more than one cup off coffee a day I feel like I should just base myself on the loo.

Enjoy your coffee - in fact have one for me!

NoTeaForMe Thu 23-Sep-10 10:50:01

I couldn't drink tea (or coffee) at the beginning of my pregnancy, hence my name on this! , it tasted horrible and made me feel sick! I was hormonally upset about this as I am such a tea drinker! Once I got my taste for it back, around 20 weeks, I haven't particularly kept my eye on how much I have been drinking. But it's more often than not over the recommended 3 cups a day!

So far my pregnancy and baby have been fine and healthy!

Hope that helps!

FloraFinching Thu 23-Sep-10 09:24:03

yes, loads.
we have decaf at home, but not at work, when I need it most.

I went over with my last pg as well, to no ill effect.

<Disclaimer: Finching is aware that anecdotal evidence is Not Proper>

Deliaskis Thu 23-Sep-10 09:18:25

I've been going a bit over. Have probably 3 cups of tea a day instead of the recommended limit of 2, and also occasionally pop out for coffee at lunchtime (like once every other week) and don't tend to 'subtract' one of my tea allowances. So I'm going a bit over, but on the whole I'm trying to be careful about most things and to be honest if I didn't drink my 3 cups of tea I would struggle to compensate with water (leave half glasses of water all over the house/office) and so would probably get dehydrated.

They're just guidelines, and they're not the same in every country, so I think as long as you make an effort to cut down if you have loads then you're going in the right direction.

D

PenguinNZ Thu 23-Sep-10 09:05:18

I think the caffeine rule came in about three/four years ago when I was pregnant with DS1.

At the time the research wasn't able to prove that it was actually caffeine that caused an increased MC risk or if highly stressed women, who are naturally more likely to MC happen to be the same women that consume lots of caffeine.

I haven't researched it since, but at 22 weeks I still treat myself to a full caffeine flat white/latte every so often. Gone right off filter coffee though. And I drink so much tea I've switched to decaf bags.....would hate to analyse my chocolate intake though.

Lozario Thu 23-Sep-10 08:43:45

We're a tea family so I have about 5 cups a day, preggo or not - I haven't been able to drink coffee since my first pregnancy.

I was so worried about the what-not-to-eat list last time that I even avoided pre-packaged sandwiches! This time I'm only avoiding pate, (which I miss) liver (urgh!) and blue cheese (double urgh anyway!).

ButtonAzure Wed 22-Sep-10 23:29:18

I've seen that list Fox. A little leaflet 'what to eat while you're pregnant' was at my bumps to tots group.
It wasn't a very long pamflet.

Also my M/w told me probably not to drink more than 6 cups of coffee a day - surely thats just common sense in real life if you ever want to sleep.

WriterofDreams Wed 22-Sep-10 16:02:04

That's really interesting BB and B, I must tell my doctor!

CardyMow Wed 22-Sep-10 15:59:44

I have a serious bit of a caffeine addiction at the best of times, but don't ever drink tea, coffee or coke...I live off red bull (the chep tescos version) all the time. In a normal day (when not pg), I get through 5-6 cans a day. When I found out I was pregnant this time, I was told to cut down to 200mg a day. Was never told that with my previous 3 dc's (youngest is almost 7yo). I have tried and tried, but cannot get it down to less than 3 cans a day. They have 30mg caffeine/100mls, and 250 mls in a can, so I've worked out I'm having about 75mg per can, times 3 is 225mg per day. I highly doubt that being 25mg per day over the limit is going to cause any harm, considering with the others, I didn't cut down at all. I'm 23+3 atm.

BigBoldAndBeautiful Wed 22-Sep-10 15:33:13

caffeine and blood pressure

Hermya321 Wed 22-Sep-10 14:55:58

I managed to reduce my consumption to four cups of caffine type stuff a day, I didn't even think to include chocolate.

Well I can safely assume my limits have all been shot to hell my entire pregnancy.

I wouldn't worry about it.

SaraL77 Wed 22-Sep-10 14:54:59

Interesting Writerofdreams, I have very low healthy blood pressure so maybe the coffee is good for me ;-) I didn't know it used to be reccomended for that!

QuiteFickleDobby I also use the decaf pods but only for my morning cup - I have a large coffee, 2 pods- one decaf one caf! But it's when my energy is flagging and I'm tired, I just can't reach for the decaf as, what's the point?! I also tried decaf in Cafe Nero last week and it tasted awful-really chemically -maybe it was just a bad brew.

the decaf tea I have sometimes is ok, still tastes different but maybe that's the difference between tetley and PG rather than the decaf-caff. I know it's all psychological wanting the caffiene over the decaf!

will try not to give myself such a hard time, as alibabaandthe40nappies says, its just the UK being overly strict/cautious

OP’s posts: |
RooBear Wed 22-Sep-10 14:49:26

everyday I've had around 5-6 cups of tea, i'm over 35wks now and its not been a problem, don't worry too much

WriterofDreams Wed 22-Sep-10 14:45:40

I agree Fox. There's a certain amount of panicky overcautiousness around pregnancy and I think it's actually because there's so little you can do to prevent things from going wrong. When people miscarry it's totally normal to want an explanation and in a way listing all these "dangerous" things helps to do that. But the truth is, sometimes miscarriages or complications just happen and even if you are super cautious that doesn't necessarily prevent things from going wrong. It's a scary thought.

TheCrackFox Wed 22-Sep-10 14:40:56

I drank loads of coffee - I gave up booze, blue cheese, rare steaks etc. It has got to the stage where it would be quicker to give pregnant women a list of things they are allowed to eat and drink.

QuiteFickleDobby Wed 22-Sep-10 14:38:58

I drink lots of coffee - In my first 2 pregnancies, years ago, there was not such a great hoo-ha about caffiene as there is now so I just drank my usual 5 0 cups a day.

DC3 is 8 weeks old - I also have a Senseo coffee pod machine and I used the decaff pods - I think I bought out the whole of Asdas stock 3 times over blush

WriterofDreams Wed 22-Sep-10 14:28:07

God knows Fox, it seems like the list of things you can't eat or drink while pregnant gets longer every day. Most of it is just being overly cautious.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in