Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Preeclampsia diagnosis

(15 Posts)
balletmoo Tue 17-Aug-10 12:47:43

Hello everyone...

I'm in a bit of shock after returning from my GP 31 week appointment. She's told me to waddle over to my maternity ward at the hospital with suspected preeclampsia.

I've been really ill over the last week with terrible hearburn and epigastric pain, getting to the point where I couldn't keep anything down at the weekend. I've had noticeably swollen feet and first thing in the morning I've had swollen hands as well. I don't think that my face has been particularly swollen though. But she took my blood pressure three times because she was so surprised at the results (I can't remember what it was but it was something like 140-something/100-something).

Anyway, I'm trying not to stress, but can anyone tell me what to expect? I'm 31+6

Thanks Mumsnetters!

pinkypanther Tue 17-Aug-10 12:55:43

Oh dear, sounds like a bit of a shock. Hope you are ok.

Basically, the hospital will need to assess you. This will likely involve checking your blood pressure again, dipping your urine (for protein - another sign of pre-eclampsia) and given your epigastric pain, probably running some blood tests to check on your liver function.

As far as the baby is concerned, they will probably run a CTG (to check to see how he/she is doing) and may even do a doppler scan for placental function.

They will need to get your BP down - probably using medication. If they cannot do that (or if your blood test results are off) then they may need to think about keeping you in, and possibly even delivering the baby (hopefully not! But he/she should be fine at 32 weeks even if so).

Good luck x

balletmoo Tue 17-Aug-10 13:03:13

Well I've had my urine checked already: it was +3 with protein (does that mean anything to anyone??). I guess I am trying to decide whether to go prepared to stay in or whether I am likely to be sent back home tonight...

Thanks Pinkypanther... at least I have an idea of what I am in for!

x

cmt1375 Tue 17-Aug-10 13:05:00

Take your stuff just in case..

Lotkinsgonecurly Tue 17-Aug-10 13:07:06

Sorry to hear this has happened. Go being prepared to stay in. This happened to me and I was in 48 hours with ds then sent home and bp was monitored every other day by the midwife.
Was given drugs to control bp.

Hope all ok. Let us know how you get on.

Julezboo Tue 17-Aug-10 13:08:34

I would take a bag just in case. As pp says they will most likely try to bring your BP down (it does seem quite high) and if they cant they will deliver baby. I had my DS1 at 31+6 (i think, it was 8 years ago!) because they couldnt get my BP down but they did try for a week first.

Take a packed bag with you and be prepared to be kept in

Good Luck x

balletmoo Tue 17-Aug-10 13:10:48

Thanks Peeps.

Off to pack a bag now...

xxx

SomethingSuitablyWitty Tue 17-Aug-10 13:34:30

Good luck balletmoo! Hope that your BP can be brought down and that it all goes smoothly! Hope you feel better soon.

AnnaAug Tue 17-Aug-10 13:34:56

Same happened to me at 32wks. First hosp check up likely to be blood pressure, urine tests, a blood test, and then some baby monitoring (CTG). I then had to do a 24hr urine collection (giant bottle, weeing in a jug - glamorous!) which I did at home. Had to take it back in and go through more testing - they said that if my BP remained high and the urine protein levels remained high they might admit me. I ended up having twice weekly checks until consultant decided it wasn't Preeclampsia, just 'symptoms with the potential for Preeclampsia'!

If they think it's controllable via medication and rest, you might just be able to go home and go in for monitoring every day/couple of days. They might recommend bed rest – and that might be at home rather than in hosp. I know the books say they might need to deliver the baby asap - but I think that’s in really severe cases.

I packed an emergency bag, emergency bag for the baby and rushed to get some prem baby clothes. It was really scary. So just wanted to say good luck, and don't fret too much - the midwife is obliged to send you to the hosp if so much as a whiff of Preeclampsia - but it doesn't nec mean it is or that the hospital will take a drastic course of action - you might just be in for some careful monitoring. Hope it goes ok x

Doodleydoo Tue 17-Aug-10 13:38:44

Take a bag and possibly some baby things too, just in case you have to stay. I had to stay in with pe at 37 weeks in first pg but they did let me out and then I was monitored daily.

Good luck, are you on mat leave?

Just remember, don't get yourself too stressed about it as it doesn't help!

(also be prepared that you might be on a post natal ward - odd thing to say I know but I found it v odd to be there!)

And if you have a portable dvd/ipod take that if you can!

Good luck!

goodlifemummy Tue 17-Aug-10 17:34:32

Oh, good luck! I was admitted to hospital at 33+3 with PE with my twins, I had +3 urine also, but BP was not too bad (you don't always get high BP) and I was swelling up and turning yellow, as I was going into renal failure. They gave me steroids for a couple of days to develop the babies lungs, and they were born at 33+6. They were in SCBU for two weeks, breathing absolutely fine, just hadn't got the suck reflex yet, they don't get that until 34 weeks, and couldn't regulate their own temperature. When I went in, I took my bags with me - glad I did, as I didn't go home again! Take a book or something with you, lots of hanging around and endless monitoring! Really good luck x

balletmoo Tue 24-Aug-10 23:38:34

Well folks, I came in to hospital and was admitted... I've done the 24 hour urine test, had 2 lots of steroids to develop baby's lungs and following a pretty scary day last Wednesday (where they nearly delivered my by emergency C-section), I am now in, on medication and 4 hour obs for the duration. So I've kissed goodbye to work and I'm trying to get my head around being in hospital for about 5 weeks... Argh!! Thanks for the support, guys. Really appreciated it and knowing what I might be in for... Xx

balletmoo Tue 24-Aug-10 23:39:46

Well folks, I came in to hospital and was admitted... I've done the 24 hour urine test, had 2 lots of steroids to develop baby's lungs and following a pretty scary day last Wednesday (where they nearly delivered my by emergency C-section), I am now in, on medication and 4 hour obs for the duration. So I've kissed goodbye to work and I'm trying to get my head around being in hospital for about 5 weeks... Argh!! Thanks for the support, guys. Really appreciated it and knowing what I might be in for... Xx

SkiHorseWonAWean Wed 25-Aug-10 07:28:22

Balletmoo - I'm very pleased to hear you're OK.

I was admitted on the Tuesday and they induced me on the Thursday as I wasn't getting any better - tbh, I think my personal stress levels about the situation didn't help any... confused

You're in the best possible place now of course even if you are bored rigid. You'll have your healthy baby soon and a wealth of support around you - and if you have the c-section, don't worry! It's actually quite pleasant because unlike other surgery there's a prize at the end.

PrenatalScreeningcloud Sat 15-Apr-17 21:35:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now