Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did anyone's waters break in bed?

(37 Posts)
beatie Sat 20-Aug-05 10:59:07

We've just bought a new matress. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and I wonder if I should put more protection on the matress incase my waters break at home, in bed.

We have a regular matress cover on the bed already and in this heat don't fancy sleeping on top of anything 'plastic'.

If your waters broke in bed - did they do any lasting damage to your matress?

JoolsToo Sat 20-Aug-05 11:07:08

I'd suffer the plastic if I were you - just in case

WigWamBam Sat 20-Aug-05 11:13:02

Mine broke in a hospital bed, but I swear, I could have launched a ship on the amount there was. If it had happened on my own bed the mattress would have been ruined, with or without a regular mattress protector.

Go for the plastic!

misdee Sat 20-Aug-05 11:15:01

with dd1 my waters broke in bed, but it was a small trickle. with ddf2 they broke during thr last stages of delvery, and there was so much there i soaked the midwife.

Nbg Sat 20-Aug-05 11:18:42

I had a little trickle in bed too.

gingerbear Sat 20-Aug-05 11:33:17

Our mattress was ruined. You can get breathable protectors now.

colditz Sat 20-Aug-05 11:41:07

I was sat on the loo, and there was so much it was 10 minutes before I could get up and limp, sanitary towel stuffed between legs, for the phone (I was on my own in the flat!)

Cover that mattress!

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 11:44:18

No - in my parents bahtroom with DS1 (after I heard felt the 'pop' while running downstairs thinking I needed the loo) - was in there for what seemed like hours waiting for it to slow down enough to actually move and do anything (quite funny actually - mum was out at the shops when it happene - there bathroom was right next to the front door.

She came home from the shops to see me with about 6 wet towels, a soaking bathroom floor and nothing on my bottom half (didn't have time to close the door )

Ds2's waters broke on my way into church (just a gentle trickle this time) and continued to trickle for the entire servie.

Pollyanna Sat 20-Aug-05 11:50:20

Mine broke in bed - there was a pop and i felt a small trickle, not a deluge at all.

Pollyanna Sat 20-Aug-05 11:50:21

Mine broke in bed - there was a pop and i felt a small trickle, not a deluge at all.

Pollyanna Sat 20-Aug-05 11:50:40

oops sorry!

fisil Sat 20-Aug-05 11:53:02

Mine broke in bed with ds1 but none hit the sheets (and I'd been suffering the plastic sheet for weeks!). With ds2 I had them broken in hospital and water splashed everywhere!

PiccadillyCircus Sat 20-Aug-05 12:17:01

My waters broke in bed (waterwall effect ) but it was in a hospital bed, so there was plenty of plastic around (and not my bed to clear up ).

I too am thinking I should get some protection on the bed as I am hopefully not going to already be in hopsital before things get started this time.

Flossam Sat 20-Aug-05 12:20:51

Woke up with a start and a small trickle, sniffed it (The midwife told me to) and then dashed to the loo and gushed. Phew! Was living in a rented flat so bed would be wrecked otherwise!

Hausfrau Sat 20-Aug-05 12:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spacecadet Sat 20-Aug-05 12:25:00

mine broke with dd2 in hospital bed, ive never seen so much fluid in all my life!, if i was at home, my bed would be ruined, so i would suffer the mattress protector.

hunkermunker Sat 20-Aug-05 12:30:11

My waters broke in bed, but twas a mere trickle, nothing mattress-threatening!

steffee Sat 20-Aug-05 12:47:30

My waters broke in bed - it must have been just a trickle but I was asleep. Woke up and felt wet and thought I'd wet myself. Got out of bed and dripped on the carpet for a minute before realising I couldn't be wetting myself as I would be able to make it stop! Dripped down the stairs and along the hall to the loo before the gush. There was no damage to the mattress, but having a new mattress it might be safer to put the protective sheet on, or wear a sanitary towel every night.

franke Sat 20-Aug-05 13:16:20

I dreamt that my waters went in bed (we had covered the mattress with a shower curtain). The dream woke me up for some reason, so I got up, waddled to the bathroom and just sat down in time for the deluge! Spooky or what

jampots Sat 20-Aug-05 13:17:15

I woke up early morning, sat up (as best you can when 9months preg) and my waters spurted everywhere, then continued to leak for another week

spagblog Sat 20-Aug-05 13:18:37

My waters broke in bed, but it was a waterbed, so just got a wipe down and the covers washed
Just as well since they were green with meconium

spagblog Sat 20-Aug-05 13:21:13

bad post - the waters were green. I turned over in bed and they went pop and then splurge!

kcemum Sat 20-Aug-05 17:32:14

Mine broke in bed with DD1. Had just been to the loo, got back in bed and as I couldn't sleep I propped myself right up to read. My waters then broke with a huge gush and completly missed the waterproof sheeting! completly ruined the mattress.

weesaidie Sat 20-Aug-05 17:35:25

Mine broke in bed, but just a little trickle as others have said.

I didn't have any extra protection IYKWIM (meant to but never got round to it!) but I think you probably should!

mumtosomeone Sat 20-Aug-05 17:36:33

mine did!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now