Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Did anyone's waters break in bed?

(37 Posts)
beatie Sat 20-Aug-05 10:59:07

We've just bought a new matress. I'm 37 weeks pregnant and I wonder if I should put more protection on the matress incase my waters break at home, in bed.

We have a regular matress cover on the bed already and in this heat don't fancy sleeping on top of anything 'plastic'.

If your waters broke in bed - did they do any lasting damage to your matress?

JoolsToo Sat 20-Aug-05 11:07:08

I'd suffer the plastic if I were you - just in case

WigWamBam Sat 20-Aug-05 11:13:02

Mine broke in a hospital bed, but I swear, I could have launched a ship on the amount there was. If it had happened on my own bed the mattress would have been ruined, with or without a regular mattress protector.

Go for the plastic!

misdee Sat 20-Aug-05 11:15:01

with dd1 my waters broke in bed, but it was a small trickle. with ddf2 they broke during thr last stages of delvery, and there was so much there i soaked the midwife.

Nbg Sat 20-Aug-05 11:18:42

I had a little trickle in bed too.

gingerbear Sat 20-Aug-05 11:33:17

Our mattress was ruined. You can get breathable protectors now.

colditz Sat 20-Aug-05 11:41:07

I was sat on the loo, and there was so much it was 10 minutes before I could get up and limp, sanitary towel stuffed between legs, for the phone (I was on my own in the flat!)

Cover that mattress!

QueenOfQuotes Sat 20-Aug-05 11:44:18

No - in my parents bahtroom with DS1 (after I heard felt the 'pop' while running downstairs thinking I needed the loo) - was in there for what seemed like hours waiting for it to slow down enough to actually move and do anything (quite funny actually - mum was out at the shops when it happene - there bathroom was right next to the front door.

She came home from the shops to see me with about 6 wet towels, a soaking bathroom floor and nothing on my bottom half (didn't have time to close the door )

Ds2's waters broke on my way into church (just a gentle trickle this time) and continued to trickle for the entire servie.

Pollyanna Sat 20-Aug-05 11:50:20

Mine broke in bed - there was a pop and i felt a small trickle, not a deluge at all.

Pollyanna Sat 20-Aug-05 11:50:21

Mine broke in bed - there was a pop and i felt a small trickle, not a deluge at all.

Pollyanna Sat 20-Aug-05 11:50:40

oops sorry!

fisil Sat 20-Aug-05 11:53:02

Mine broke in bed with ds1 but none hit the sheets (and I'd been suffering the plastic sheet for weeks!). With ds2 I had them broken in hospital and water splashed everywhere!

PiccadillyCircus Sat 20-Aug-05 12:17:01

My waters broke in bed (waterwall effect ) but it was in a hospital bed, so there was plenty of plastic around (and not my bed to clear up ).

I too am thinking I should get some protection on the bed as I am hopefully not going to already be in hopsital before things get started this time.

Flossam Sat 20-Aug-05 12:20:51

Woke up with a start and a small trickle, sniffed it (The midwife told me to) and then dashed to the loo and gushed. Phew! Was living in a rented flat so bed would be wrecked otherwise!

Hausfrau Sat 20-Aug-05 12:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spacecadet Sat 20-Aug-05 12:25:00

mine broke with dd2 in hospital bed, ive never seen so much fluid in all my life!, if i was at home, my bed would be ruined, so i would suffer the mattress protector.

hunkermunker Sat 20-Aug-05 12:30:11

My waters broke in bed, but twas a mere trickle, nothing mattress-threatening!

steffee Sat 20-Aug-05 12:47:30

My waters broke in bed - it must have been just a trickle but I was asleep. Woke up and felt wet and thought I'd wet myself. Got out of bed and dripped on the carpet for a minute before realising I couldn't be wetting myself as I would be able to make it stop! Dripped down the stairs and along the hall to the loo before the gush. There was no damage to the mattress, but having a new mattress it might be safer to put the protective sheet on, or wear a sanitary towel every night.

franke Sat 20-Aug-05 13:16:20

I dreamt that my waters went in bed (we had covered the mattress with a shower curtain). The dream woke me up for some reason, so I got up, waddled to the bathroom and just sat down in time for the deluge! Spooky or what

jampots Sat 20-Aug-05 13:17:15

I woke up early morning, sat up (as best you can when 9months preg) and my waters spurted everywhere, then continued to leak for another week

spagblog Sat 20-Aug-05 13:18:37

My waters broke in bed, but it was a waterbed, so just got a wipe down and the covers washed
Just as well since they were green with meconium

spagblog Sat 20-Aug-05 13:21:13

bad post - the waters were green. I turned over in bed and they went pop and then splurge!

kcemum Sat 20-Aug-05 17:32:14

Mine broke in bed with DD1. Had just been to the loo, got back in bed and as I couldn't sleep I propped myself right up to read. My waters then broke with a huge gush and completly missed the waterproof sheeting! completly ruined the mattress.

weesaidie Sat 20-Aug-05 17:35:25

Mine broke in bed, but just a little trickle as others have said.

I didn't have any extra protection IYKWIM (meant to but never got round to it!) but I think you probably should!

mumtosomeone Sat 20-Aug-05 17:36:33

mine did!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: