Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can a fat tummy prevent an ultrasound working?

(25 Posts)
Ladyopheliastar Sat 10-Jul-10 21:51:06

I am about to have nuchal fold/dating scan and I'm worried by size will prevent a clear reading blush

SandyBits Sat 10-Jul-10 21:52:33

Depends entirely how big you're talking about. You'll need a full bladder anyway, but do not start drinking itl you're in the waiting room. I started a good hour beforehand, and they were running late. Try as I might, I couldn't help myself and had to rush to the loo 2 minutes before my turn blush

Rafwife Sat 10-Jul-10 21:53:02

Yes it can affect the quality and reliability of the scan hence why you will probably have a BMI disclaimer stating restricted view on your scan report.

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 10-Jul-10 21:53:49

It should be fine for a pregnancy scan as the skin is thinner there because of the size of the uterus (baby, placenta and fluid). Size does make an effect on an abdominal ultrasound though (liver/kidneys etc), it's just makes the images harder to see.
Try not to worry smile

Ladyopheliastar Sat 10-Jul-10 21:58:32

Would they do a transvaginal if it was an issue?

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sat 10-Jul-10 22:01:03

They could do, any antenatal ultrasound is dependant on the way that the baby is facing. A full bladder helps as it pushes the uterus towards the skin surface.

LadyintheRadiator Sat 10-Jul-10 22:03:15

I had TV scans due to retroverted uterus, it was fine, in case that's what's bothering you?

BertieBasset Sat 10-Jul-10 22:04:57

They would do an internal if necessary. A podgy tum is more of an issue at a 20 week scan, not when you are first scanned.

I have a rather cuddly stomach and my DD was spotted straight away no probs. Am sure you'll be fine

Ladyopheliastar Sat 10-Jul-10 22:07:16

Thank you!

SkiHorseWonAWean Sun 11-Jul-10 04:56:59

No, it's not a problem. If the sonographer suggests it is then they've a problem not you. I know a girl on mn who has always carried her weight on her tummy and she was really paranoid about this - the sonographer laughed and said it wasn't an issue at all! Furthermore, as others have suggested, they can always dildocam you.

If they do have a moan at you, it's just standard fat-bashing and not anything with any medical basis! wink At which point you're permitted to unleash a mean barb!

belledechocolatefluffybunny Sun 11-Jul-10 11:27:22

The sonographer shouldn't say anything to you about your size, it's very unprofessional and you will be within your rights to complain.

AhickeyfromKenickie Sun 11-Jul-10 12:32:32

I have a BMI of 31 (I'm 5 foot 7), chunky but not exactly a beached whale, and the sonographer at my NHS scan couldn't find the baby's feet. She told me to my face it was because DS was lying in an awkward position, but then wrote in my notes "couldn't scan due to mother's high BMI". I was a bit upset about that! But when I went for a private Babybond scan a week later it was fine, (baby's feet were there!)
grin at Skihorse "dildocam"!

japhrimel Sun 11-Jul-10 12:36:47

I think they'll sometimes use high BMI as a "get-out clause" on the notes for not being able to see something!

My BMI was 32 when I got pregnant - I'm normally a 16 and my tummy podge hasn't been an issue with scans at 8 and 12 weeks.

AhickeyfromKenickie Sun 11-Jul-10 12:44:22

Oh really? I didn't know that Japhrimel. Ah, I feel a bit less of a fat cow now!

Stephief Sun 11-Jul-10 15:13:55

Hi,

I had a bmi of 43 when I had my 20 week scan and it didnt cause a problem, they could still see everything.

ronx Sun 11-Jul-10 15:15:35

Don't worry. I had a BMI of 32 when I was 12 weeks pregnant, and both the 12 and 20-week scans were really clear.

littler1 Sun 11-Jul-10 19:00:16

It shouldn't make any difference at all, they should be able to turn the frequency setting on the probe down, this will increase the depth of the ultrasound waves, you do lose a bit of resolution when you do this but you can adjust other parameters to compensate for this.

As stated before if they have a problem scanning its the sonographers problem absolutely nothing to do with your size.

andyflo Sun 11-Jul-10 19:43:06

Message withdrawn

andyflo Sun 11-Jul-10 19:44:17

Message withdrawn

Lavitabella Sun 11-Jul-10 19:47:45

grin also at Skihorse's "Dildocam"! I was in absolute shock after my internal and they put a condom on it!!

MissCKitty Sun 11-Jul-10 20:07:11

lmao at skihorse 'dildocam'! Priceless!!!! My last two scans have been TV cos of a retroverted uterus stubbornly refusing to cooperate with the sonographer and now if I have to have another I probably won't be able to keep a straight face grin

Ladyopheliastar Sun 11-Jul-10 20:17:16

I had a private scan today and saw my baby, with no problem! No mention of my tummy being in the way at all! I love the phrase "dildocam".

smile

AhickeyfromKenickie Sun 11-Jul-10 21:02:43

Fab news Lady, enjoy your pregnancy!

LouExpecting4th Tue 07-Jun-11 10:02:55

ok so my friend had her 1st scan a few weeks ago and the sonographer did an internal scan because he said he couldnt find the heart beat due to the "spare tyre" around her stomach, after the internal scan all was great .... i have my 12wk scan tomorrow and its my 4th baby, im over wieght and i have quite a big flabby jelly belly sad im so scared , im also very embarressed and ashamed and im dreading showing them my belly, ive already thought of how i can apologise for them having to see itn touch it , its ruining my whole experience and im so so so terrified for tomorrow sad

Nanny01 Tue 07-Jun-11 11:01:48

I have a high BMI and recently had a nhs scan where they made an issue about it and said can you hold your stomach up. The private scan I had a week later the lady made no issues about it and didn't push hard and got a better image. She said you don't need to make an issue you just need to move the rotate the wand and unless people are really heavy the nhs lady was really unreasonable. I am going back for another scan this week and I am not worried at all. In fact I am really looking forward to it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: