Talk

Advanced search

DS is getting progressively worse at using the potty - I'm at my wits end!

(2 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 09-Nov-09 10:02:49

DS is 3.3 years and we started trying him on the potty a few months ago. He started off ok, but didn't like using the potty, but we eventually got him used to it and he went through a stage of a couple of months using the potty when we asked him too and only having a few accidents. He's always had trouble at nursery and rarely wees in the potty. I think its because he doesn't tend to ask to go, at home we notice him jiggling his legs so ask him to sit on the potty, but at nursery they don't have the time to watch him so much.

But recently at home he's now starting to have up to ten accidents a day. He'll just say, I'm weeing in a pants mummy. Or the other day he said, you know when I was sitting on the sofa mummy, I did a wee. Its as though he doesn't care about where he wees. But he is definitely aware of when he needs to go and what he should do, he just doesn't seem to want to any more.

I'm doing so much washing, the house smells of wee, and its putting me off going out (especially as he never poos in the potty/toilet, he always does it in his pants) so when we're out and about its just so messy and we have to take so many pairs of trousers even for a couple of house. He can do a wee and then five minutes later wet himself again!

I just don't understand it - I'm really considering putting him back in nappies for my own sanity. We praise him when he goes on the potty or toilet and if he has an accident we try not to make a big deal of it. He's not had any big changes recently so I can't think of any reason for him to be having so many accidents. Any ideas/advice?

kcartyparty Tue 10-Nov-09 00:23:39

Have you tried reward charts?

They work a treat. The other thing is a little bit of discipline. Let's face it, why should he leave what he is doing to go all the way to the toilet, when he can do it right their and you will clean it all up for him.

You take away things when he does this, and you say if you want them back you will have to use the toilet, not wet for 2 days. Each time he does wee in the toilet, give him a star for his chart (let him make the chart with you).

After a couple of days, he gets his stuff back. Tell him that if he stays dry for a few more days he will get a treat.

Give it a month at least of consistent and firm boundaries.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now