Talk

Advanced search

Night time wetness!

(19 Posts)
bodiddly Sun 01-Nov-09 14:12:12

Ds is 4.8 and still wet at night. He has been dry during the day for years but only a few times at night. I am not consciously trying to get him dry at night as from what I have read this will happen when he is ready and not really before. Dp was a bed wetter until he was fairly old so I guess it is to be expected. He wears pull ups at night and recently has been soaking through them night after night. He does not notice at night so will quite happily lie there with wet pyjamas and sheets. This morning it was everywhere! and I do mean everywhere .. pjs, sheet, duvet, mattress cover etc. I have no idea why he has become worse as he did not use to wet through pull ups. We are getting through a pair of pjs each night and sheets a 2-3 times a week. Today was on a totally different scale though!

He has drinks at bed time which I am thinking of restricting but I am concerned about doing that as he does not drink enough during the day (especially now he is at school) and gets headaches from time to time as he isn't drinking enough. The last thing I want to do is make this worse by not allowing him a drink when he gets home if he hasn't had enough during the day!

Does anyone have any ideas? Pretty please !!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 01-Nov-09 14:20:14

good idea not to restrict his fluid intake, it seems counter - intutitve but his bladder needs to be able to hold more liquid especially as he doesn't drink enbough at school

stay away from brown or red drinks

wee/teeth/wee at bedtime

it's a hormone thing, and until his body produces the hormone he won't have control at night

double dress the bed - wetsheet/bottom sheet, wet sheet/bottom sheet

also boys fiddle in their sleep and the willy can end up pointing up/out of the pull up hence soaking perhaps??

It's not considered a problem until age 7 when you can get referred to enuresis clinic but hopefully he will be sorted by then

sorry for essay !

bodiddly Sun 01-Nov-09 14:26:25

thanks .. thats pretty much what I am doing already .. just surprised by the quantity! To get through a pull up on a daily basis is bizarre. We thought we had it cracked 6 months ago when he had 3 dry nights in a row but then it all went wrong!

bodiddly Sun 01-Nov-09 14:26:49

he takes some milk and water to bed ... is this a bad idea?

DanJARMouse Sun 01-Nov-09 14:31:42

i was going to post today for tips to get my 4yr old DD2 dry through the night. We go through 1 pull up every night, but she isnt soaking through although pullup is quite full by morning.

DD2 doesnt tend to drink after tea-time, the odd sip of water but thats it.

I just dont know how to handle this, DD1 was dry when she turned 4 by just having dry pull-ups and we havent had a wet bed at all.

DD2 only turned 4 last week, so I know she is still quite young - but pullups cost the earth when we are going through 1 every night!

Am also watching for tips!!!

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 01-Nov-09 14:32:34

well I would think again about actually taking drinks to bed, but don't restrict BEFORE bedtime IYSWIM

Oh, and shower him in the mornings for social reasons - we all remember going to school with a smelly child, yes? sad

and try the wee/teeth/wee thing, I never did that but have heard Good Things

Don't lift him either, when you go to bed, there is no point as you are reinforcing the wee in your sleep thing

Good luck

twolittlekings Sun 01-Nov-09 14:34:52

DS 4.6 and not dry at night. I have also read it is a specific hormone that is responsible (will find the name) and may not be there until 6 or 7.

TBH it does not bother me as he is dry in day (except when outside and forgets since he is having too much fun).

Agree we are keeping pull ups in business though!

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 01-Nov-09 14:35:39

have a read for a more science-y explanation

bodiddly Sun 01-Nov-09 15:14:46

Im not concerned about him being wet at night really but the over the top wetness is an issue! I guess I just need to invest in some more sheets and pjs and go with the flow iykwim. I am already doing the wee teeth wee bed thing plus not lifting etc. Will take away the bed time drinks though perhaps but I know he drinks during the night.

ches Mon 02-Nov-09 04:16:31

I'm all for this whole "oh there's a hormone and until it kicks in there's nothing you can do!" business. The problem is I'm in my 30s, been dry at night for decades, and if I drink a lot before bed, I get up twice a night to wee. I would talk to his teachers and make sure he is offered/encouraged to drink enough at school. Sending a child home dehydrated is not acceptable.

bodiddly Mon 02-Nov-09 10:46:14

lol ches ... I do too come to think of it! He probably isn't seriously dehydrated but I think I will have a word to see whether they can encourage him to drink a little more at school!

DanJARMouse Mon 02-Nov-09 11:54:32

Well we went with no pull up last night, but we lifted her at 8.15pm and 10.15pm - both times she did a wee, and was then dry throughout the night. So night one a sucess - or so i thought til i read that we arent supposed to lift them? I didnt physically lift her because she is just too darn heavy, so she was just about awake - enough to walk to the toilet and back.

So, do I just leave her tonight and see if she does it herself?! We have layered her bed..... plastic sheet/sheet/plastic sheet/sheet/plastic sheet/sheet so if she is wet, we can just whip off one layer rather than having to try and make her bed in the middle of the night and possibly disturb her sister.

Arghhhhh.... it was so much easier with DD1!

twolittlekings Mon 02-Nov-09 18:57:27

I just keep thinking that I don't know anyone who wears a nappy now at night so they must all eventually get dry one way or another. If he is still doing it by the time he is 5 I'll start looking into it more. Is that really bad?

bodiddly Mon 02-Nov-09 21:11:37

sounds like a plan to me twolittlekings. I will probably do the same .. I am just trying to cut out the soaking through pull ups and pjs for now! He was far better last night so lets hope removing night time drinks and trying to get more liquids into him during the day does the trick!

ches Tue 03-Nov-09 02:58:07

DanJARmouse, if she's walking to the loo herself, I think you're in the clear. DS still wakes a few times a night. The first time he wakes is +/- 11 pm to do a wee. When he wakes at 1am to come into bed with us I sometimes put him on the potty depending on the colour/volume of 11pm production. I think if they're early wetters instead of just-before-waking wetters, getting them up and walking them to the loo is fine. It's what they'll need to do themselves if their bladder is full.

DanJARMouse Wed 04-Nov-09 22:11:08

well we have had 3 nights so far with no pull ups..... and no wet beds.

2nd night she came through at 5am to say her pj bottoms were wet, so DH went through thinking he would have to strip the bed, but bed was dry.... we think she sat on the loo without pulling them down!!!

Last night she went to the loo at 10.30pm (we woke her to go) and that was her til 6am when she proudly told me she woke herself up to go for a wee!

I think we might be cracking it, so fingers crossed you can get a little help from my posts.

Saying that - just sent DH up to put her on the loo, and she was wet. Night 4 and our first wet bed, but all sorted in minutes and she is sound asleep again now. Hey ho..... she is still learning!

3HotCrossBuns Wed 04-Nov-09 22:23:23

I too am watching this thread with interest. DS1 is 4.5 and has been wetting through the pull ups for ages despite being dry in the day for over 2 years. On the basis we were having to deal with wet pjs/sheets in the morning anyway we have gone for it!

We are lifting him at 11 (when the baby is put back down after her 10.30 feed) and he wees. So far we had 2 mornings of a wet bed around 7ish and this morning he was dry. I had heard of the hormone thing but half of me thinks that he "knows" he's wearing a nappy so is actually quite lazy about getting up/holding it. He's heavily incentivised by earning enough stars to get a Sporticus costume too!

DanJARMouse Sat 07-Nov-09 11:12:42

Well we have done 6 nights of no pull ups with just that 1 wet bed on wednesday.

We are still waking her at about 10pm to go, and she does a little wee and then back to bed and dry for the rest of the night.

Think we are definately getting somewhere.... I think the just go for it approach is working simply because DD2 is naturally a lazy little tike (always has been, didnt walk til 17mnths, didnt talk til she was 3yrs old etc) and this seems to have really worked.

Here's to no more pull-ups!!!

neveronamonday Sat 07-Nov-09 21:22:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now