Talk

Advanced search

poo in the bath

(19 Posts)
badger1978 Mon 19-Oct-09 15:05:09

My 8-month-old son last night did a big poo in the bath: I assume he is too young to be potty trained, so I picked up the log and threw it into the toilet (located next to the bath), which he found most amusing.

Is this the right thing to do? Perhaps I should have shouted "naughty boy" or "dirty boy" while disposing of the log, in order to persuade him not to do it again.

My main concerns are:

1. I am not a very good thrower, and there is a danger that I will miss the toilet when throwing poos into it from the bath.

2. My son is performing a dirty protest – perhaps he is annoyed with me about something and taking his revenge by plopping onto me (I bathe with him)

Help!!!

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Mon 19-Oct-09 15:13:31

This is a wind-up thread, yes?

Bessie123 Mon 19-Oct-09 15:15:10

Have you tried curling one out on to your son while he is in the bath? That might put him off.

badger1978 Mon 19-Oct-09 16:08:14

no, this is not a wind-up

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Mon 19-Oct-09 16:50:14

You think (quite sensibly IMO) that your DS is too young to be potty trained (i.e. it isn't under voluntary control).

So in what possible way could shouting "naughty boy", "dirty boy" or anything else you care to shout "persuade him not to do it again"?

badger1978 Mon 19-Oct-09 16:54:39

to persuade him to connect soiling the bath with doing something 'wrong'

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 19-Oct-09 16:56:34

DS3 19 months poos in the bath most nights. Not on me, thankfully, but his older brothers do not like it either wink...

This is not at all under your LO control, so any shouting/punishing is absolutely pointless/unfair. Also warm water may be relaxing to him, hence resultant surprise.
For us it sometimes works to wait a little longer between dinner and bath to see if he will poo into his nappy.

I keep telling myself, that he is unlikely to still be pooing in the bath when he is 25 grin!
Scoop and smile and be grateful when it is formed, is all I'm saying wink....

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Mon 19-Oct-09 16:58:32

Yes, but connecting something that's not under voluntary control with being "wrong" isn't going to achieve anything other than distressing the person being shouted at.

If every time you hiccuped I shouted at you that you were a disgusting girl, would that help you avoid the next hiccup, even if I convinced you to the deepest fibre of your being that hiccuping was wrong?

StealthPolarBear Mon 19-Oct-09 16:58:36

is this a threaD AboUT a thrEAd
~

badger1978 Mon 19-Oct-09 17:04:21

my husband suggested holding him over the toilet when he goes red in the face, ready for the poo, but i am worried i will drop him in the loo as he is slippery from the bath

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 19-Oct-09 17:05:01

Eh??

Bessie123 Mon 19-Oct-09 17:22:17

I have 3 suggestions:

1) stop bathing your ds;
2) stop feeding your ds; or
3) keep a net by the bath

hth

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 19-Oct-09 17:24:33

Swim nappy??

StealthPolarBear Mon 19-Oct-09 17:24:41

or give up and just allow the whole family to start pooing in the bath, after all, it's sterile

StealthPolarBear Mon 19-Oct-09 17:24:57

or is that urine?
wink

ches Wed 21-Oct-09 04:38:47

Get a potty or a toilet seat and do what your husband suggests. Your child will likely learn very soon that pooing in the potty/toilet is way better than pooing in a nappy. I know babies who learned to poo on a potty by 10 months. Mine refused to poo anywhere but his own toilet by 15 months.

Bessie123 Wed 21-Oct-09 11:25:28

ches what happened if you went away for the weekend?

Acanthus Wed 21-Oct-09 11:29:47

Maybe you should rub his nose in it like with dogs (in the seventies)?

ches Thu 22-Oct-09 04:59:16

We went to my cousin's for a 4-day weekend (he was 19 months) and on Day 3 I sat him on his toilet seat with a book and begged and pleaded for him to let it out already before he got constipated. Half an hour later he came through. He can hold it in like a champ. Now he's older he's happy as long as he's got his own toilet seat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now